Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Nu Yeer (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Nu Yeer
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Public decides not to boost income of thieving twats.

As ever, I try to stay ahead of the curve and, in the past ten years, have managed to spend at least half my New Years "in".

Not that I don't think there's something worth celebrating. I just reject the long waits at the bar, 'admission fees', drunken harridans informing me I should "Chare up yfukkin miz rubble fukkuh - Snewyare!", random violence and inability of DJs to take a break from playing stupid shit on time to allow us to go through the bongs/kissing/cheering shizzle we've supposedly all come out for.

No. Fuck all that. We're having a few people round for eats, drinks and ga(y)mes.

In addition! I intend to start 2005 as I mean to go on, with resolutions including:
  • No more procrastination!
  • Target number of words or pages of notes written at set time each day!
  • Yoga!
  • No more food that tastes like death (harder than it sounds) !

What are your plans for tonight?
What are your New Year resolutions?

Don't be a boring wanker and come out with some nonsense about how you "don't *do* NYRs" - live a little, you miserable sod! What do you think you're perfect already? Make something up for kevin's sake!

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I loathe spending NYE trying to force my way through crowds of drunken teenagers to get to the bar, and having to pay inflated entrance fees for the privilege, and since I don't know of any mates round here who are doing the house party thing, I will be being a curmudgeon and sitting at home with a fridge full of cold beer and some good DVDs.

As for resolutions, I think my main resolution has to be to rediscover my ambition and to set myself new goals to fuel that ambition, happiness and comfort breed apathy, and I'm absolutely swimming in apathy. I have a job I could do blindfolded, and at which I seem to be a success without really exerting myself, which makes me wonder how much more I could achieve if I really put my mind to it, I don't want to get to retirement and look back over a lifetime of doing what needs to be done and nothing more, I want to rediscover that desire to do something worthwhile and make a difference.

I also want to lose at least half a stone, which means going to the gym every week, not just when I can be arsed (closer to once a month), rediscovering the passion for that one may take more effort, we shall see.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to a friends for champagne and cocaine, then to a magical club where there are teeny bar waits, you can take your own booze with you if you like, it is only £10 admission, they do stop the music and play Big Ben Bongs (although last year this involved a last minute scramble for some kind of radio to do this with)...and uh...oh, my favorite DJ is back for the first time in aaaages..and its gonna be good! And I have a new(ish) dress and new hair! Plus I have new David Atenborough DVDs to watch all day tomorrow from the safety of the sofa.

My resolutions are a hazy and predictable mix of starting exercise again after having Christmas off, smoking less, eating vegetables and doing more work and less internet (this last was motivated by a friend being summoned for a disciplinary meeting in January).

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
lose beer belly
get a tan
keep beard
cleanse my colon
continue with stopping smoking
get better job or start own business
seriously consider buying small motel in France/Holland/Somewhere
Attempt to cut back on drinking

Tonight, well Beckett's teething so in bed by 10.30 prolly... I'll get pissed later.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
  • Rebrand self as 'copywriter', thereby fusing the seemingly disparate strands of freelance journalist / fanzine writer / crazed feminazi / corporate web editor and hopefully earning more money and reeling in more kickass 'n' impressive clients in process.
  • Marry Toby, 41, who is a partner in a law firm and will make mummy very, very happy.
  • Accrue 'nuff savings for deposit.
  • Produce at least one if not more issues of print fanzine with my lovely new designer Ali.
  • Attend fiction class every single week even when 'don't feel like it'.
  • Collaborate with Log.

eta:
  • sell gamecube

[ 31.12.2004, 08:20: Message edited by: London ]

Tom Boy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tom Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
smoke less, puff and fags
drink less, not that i drink huge amounts at the moment but however much it is, its too much.
Play less computer.
Get a Job that isnt a grind. And pays enough for me to save enough money to buy an ariel atom Yaay joy machine of speed love!
Play more Football.
Find a girlfriend who i can actually get on with and not someone who is good enough cos the let me do 'sexing_in_the_bed!'
Its a shame Shona isnt at work today cos I could start early, it seems i have my work cut out, well 12 months to sort it all, Good Luck

--------------------
So bad its good

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post 
Resolutions:
  • resist temptation to read following list in the voice or Rene Zellweger playing Bridget Jones
  • perfect work / life balance - (less work - more money)
  • follow up on eqyptian dance classes / ice skating lessons / violin playing / joining the orchestra with scrawny (- things which I've already put into place / researched and need to continue to completion)
  • finalise divorce even if it does mean shelling out more money to set the bailiffs on the ex
  • carry on saving for deposit for flat with sister
  • persuade sister to give me gamecube instead of selling it
  • actually send off the novel synopsis
  • actually do massage research while in Goa, find a publisher and write the book

Summary:If you take away the specifics the general feel is "action is better than inaction" or "more decision less faffing" also "increase leisure activities"

Tonight: First, I had no plans and was concerned, then I got invited to not just one party but TWO!! Then I decided that I really was having a great week off doing loads of stuff like reading my astronomy book and playing the violin and updating my websites and that all I really wanted to do on new years eve was to stay in and carry on doing these things. But my sister has informed me that I am not allowed to do this so I will hang out with her and other brilliant ladies of my acquaintance, no doubt drink lots of cava and count down to NY so that I can jump on the N253 and go back home. Unless I have fun in which case I'll come home when the sun rises. Interesting fact: This will be my first new year's eve in 16 years when I haven't had a boyfriend / husband. One less pressure to worry about! Did I tell you I hate new year's eve? Well not tonight. It's going to be as good as the last EXCELLENT one I had 14 years ago. The power of positive thinking. I'm giving it a shot. If it fails I'll enter 2005 with my usual rollingeyes version of cynicism which provides a protective shield around my eternal optimisim and romanticism. It has served me well I can tell you. I'll stop now. Sorry.
  • less rambling posts and general spouting of nonsense when talking

--------------------
uberwench

London

You can buy it off me, including all games and controllers and memory cards, for £100. How is giving it to you going to help me save for a deposit? [Roll Eyes]
Stefanos
Biggus Dickus
 - posted      Profile for Stefanos           Edit/Delete Post 
My resolutions:
  • Get a job before I run totally out of money (the current one ends today).
  • Get a job which means I can afford the luxury of buying the odd CD.
  • Have at least 5000 letters ready to go out to potential schools advertising the school talks we are doing by September.
  • Give up the IT job altogether to concentrate on said school talks.
  • Start running again.
  • Redo those websites* I need to work on...

*Darryn - not sure when I need to pay you for the web space, etc. - let me know!

Tonight, a quiet one. Watching DVDs, drinking beer and eating a nice old fashioned leg of lamb dinner...

[ 31.12.2004, 09:36: Message edited by: Stefanos ]

--------------------
Essex boy in exile.

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off home. Thanks everyone for all your hard work this year - let's make it our forum resolution to make 2005 the best tmo year yet! [Cool]
London

Ok coach.
ally
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ally           Edit/Delete Post 
For NYE I'm staying in, taking drugs and shagging. These are my first drugs of 2004. I have just had the cleanest year of my life. I've not achieved any more or less than normal, but I'm a lot more stable.

TMO - what should be my first resolution - continue with clean living, or take more drugs?

Apart from that, I'm planning on getting a proper job, with prospects. I've never had one of those before, and its about time I was a bit less of a professional dilettante, and a bit more professional instead.

I think I might do a bit less t'internet, too, as I spend far too much time fucking around on the web.

London

Continue with clean living. What drugs are you doing tonight?
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
My NY resolution plan has worked out perfectly. In the past month, even taking into account the negative effects of the festive eating period, I've managed to lose the better part of a stone. I feel fitter, healthier and happier than I have done in years. I've taken to riding my bike a few times a week and eating healthily. Not a low calorie diet as such, but I've cut out all the snacks and shit I used to cram into my face hole, and I try and drink water instead of soft drinks. I must say I am surprised at how resilient my body has proven to be. There's youth in it yet, I'll warrant, so while I've spent most of the last year feeling like a 40 year old, I finally feel like I'm relatively young again. And I like it.

So my resolution? Well, to carry on as I am really. I'd like to lose another stone or so, and get even fitter and healthier. I like this feeling, it's new and interesting, like some wonderful drug with no comedown.

And I'm going to carry on playing snooker because I think I'm not half bad at it, and it helps me unwind in the evenings.

And the Mini, well that'll be fixed shortly, judging by the large pile of new parts that's sat next to me.

So really, my year is already starting on a high note. The hard work is done, and now I've just got to keep things ticking over. Why start the year struggling, I say.

As for how I'm going to spend my NYE? Well I'm going for some drinks in my mates local. Should be a laugh.

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
Because mcandrew is gay, in both a sexualtiy and level of how good he is , ie, shit, I am going to a night with my real life friends and not bringing my internet friend with me! Lame lame lame! What sort of excuse does he have?! He doesnt have one! He could have just said "oh its alright Im not going" sometime in the last month. I will have a good time, it will be hard not to. I will probably have a very bad time for the few days after it, but I have dvds and tv and music so I am prepared. I am missing my inflatable sofa that Id wanted a bit though.

My resolutions?!

Graduate with a 2:1
Decide on a career and become rich.
Write half of book.
Clear credit debt via clincal trials.
Even more exercise! Im not fat, I just enjoy it! Maybe I need to put some weight on
Go out more with rediscovered child hood sweet heart. Find out what she thinks of me.
Write a killer dissertation.
Cook more stuff.
Devise an uber budget that involves minimal spending.
Learn some guitar scales. Fix guitar, record some things.
Decide on manchester or derby or where I am going.
Make sure I dont fall into doing british languiage teaching in italy/

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
PUBLIC APOLOGY TO JOHNJ. I = SORRY. [Frown]

By the way, John. If you intend to write just one half of a book, maybe you can write the latter half of my own unfinished novel. It's more quarter- than half-finished, to be honest, and severely lacking cohesion, but I re-read bits of it yesterday and for the first time ever I thought it was Gosh! Quite Good, Actually, which surprised; usually the re-reading of year-old fiction traumatises writing ambition / stifles talent / inspires self-loathing etc. But not this time. Maybe I should finish it myself. Or we could write it together, John! But no. We hate duets, don't we? Forget it.

So first resolution is write more book. Second is keep writing more book. Third is No Do Not Give Up Already It Is Only February Keep Going Persevere With Book You Can Do It Come On. Fourth is find data input work. Fifth. Buy dermatological drugs. Alternative fifth. Make spots fashionable. Sixth. Overcome misanthropic tendencies (hatred = insecurity). Seventh. Wear black pinstripe tutu over jeans. In street. In daylight. Eighth. Absorb nature. Water plants. Sit in trees. Sleep on mountaintops. Lean on bridges and drops stones in streams. Ninth. We Are Multifaceted Beings: Our Bodies Contain Hundreds Of Yous, Mes, Thems: We Are A Thousand People At Once: We All Have Vaginas, Some More Hidden Than Others. Spread the doctrine. Live the doctrine. Live as Paraffin/Paramour Beta. Live as Cesario/a. Live as Viola/o. Live as Rowan the grandfather-child. Then write it all down.

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
I have written my list of new years resolutions.

#1: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

--------------------
member #28

ally
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ally           Edit/Delete Post 
Another resolution - ask kovacs very nicely for personal tuition in humility and self-deprecation.

Get Carter was on Ch5 the other night - did you see it?

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was spent with a mug of tea and the joyousness of having Jools Holland on the telly for TWO AND A HALF WHOLE HOURS!!! Oh rapture. It was ace.

Resolutions:
*Go to coaching every week and get promoted to a higher team in September when the new badminton season starts
*Go to step every Monday/aerobics every Wednesday
*Eat less meat
*STOP smoking. For heaven's sake! I started again after 4.5 years of not smoking. How stoopid am I? Actually, don't answer that.
*Carry on being happy with just being me and not part of a couple. This is actually working quite well!
*Make more soup

Think that's about it, there's more other general stuff about being more organised at work and all that jazz, but that's just boring.

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

charrudeboi
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for charrudeboi           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, like last night is spent at work which I'm not too miffed about especially when I got to watch MOTD all the way through.

I plan this year to put on some weight. Maybe 2 stone will boost me up to how I want to appear. To acheive this I have quit smoking and I have promised myself to go to the gym and reform my muscles.

Not smoking is hard, I have made one day so far and feel like I want to chew off my knuckles so anyone who is managing this feat well done to them.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
It only just occurred to me this evening that Monday is a bank holiday in lieu of New Years Day, it being on a Saturday, sometimes being thick can be a good thing, an extra day off, yay [Smile]
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
  • GET A JOB!!!!
  • Save money and emmigrate. This may take more than a year.
  • Dont worry, be happy
  • Stop smoking properly. I can go all week without one and then have 20 in one night out.
  • Go to gym. Haha

ETA:
  • Learn to use UBB

[ 02.01.2005, 06:11: Message edited by: squeegy ]

--------------------
supa scrub

Ringo

Additional NY resolution - stop getting mugged in the middle of busy pubs in Swindon by coked-up psychopaths.. [Frown]
Physic
Digital PIMP !
Dude are you serious? That's fucked up, hope you're okay and stuff. I guess being boring and staying in with DVDs isn't such a bad thing after all.
Ringo

Yes, me and Mikee were 'captive' at the table for about 40 minuntes while the coke addled headcase explained in the most unpolite terms that one false move from either of us and we'd be chewing on glass.

I was brave though, when the fucker exited the pub with my jacket (and wallet and keys), I ran out after him and demanded (begged) that he gave me my keys back. Thankfully he took pity (and my £200 coat) and gave me my keys back so I could at least get home. How handy.

saltrock
"absolutely no idea whatsoever"
 - posted      Profile for saltrock           Edit/Delete Post 
Shit Ringo! That sucks.

--------------------
Call that a contribution?

dervish
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dervish           Edit/Delete Post 
Christ that's nasty. Bad enough to mugged, but forty minutes was a hell of a time to be under that pressure. Brave isn't in it. You can replace a coat, but your face or an eye are something else.

Glad you are in one piece!

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks! My first thought was couldn't you have caught someone's eye or something, to signal for some help but it occured to me at eye contact and involvement with the world around you is usually not all that common in those sorts of situations. Glad you made it through all right.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Bum rap Ringers. Where was this hell hole? If it was Swindon, well...

NewYear'sEve: Went to a dinner party. 9pm: 12 30-somethings sat boy-girl, no couples together, around civilised dining table in huge grown-up house in Clapham, deciding what wine to drink, while various babes slumbered peacefully upstairs. 11pm: A delivery has been made, there are streamers, glasses and people draped everywhere and the volume has gone up to 11. 5am: host says 'for fuck's sake SHIT OFF' as he shoves us out the door. Cool.

New year's resolutions:
To find out what it is I want to do, and do it without prevaricating, procrastinating, or passing go.
Moving house
Starting a family of some description
Seeing friends individually, not just en masse
Taking responsibility for my own life
Stop wasting time
Making my own website, with me branded a 'copywriter'. [Off my patch, London. Grrr. Fight you.]
'Doing Exercise'
Doing a course, or two, from a list of jive, silversmithing, website design, creative writing, Spanish
Take up the bassoon again
Stop procrastinating

However, all the above will no doubt be scuppered by the last one, my inability to just get my finger out. Oh, and less self-loathing. After all, as Ben said, 'I am a much under-rated poster'.

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
MY IMAGE RUINED THE THREAD

[ 03.01.2005, 16:54: Message edited by: jnhoj ]

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, happy new year everybody. I was planning on spending mine doing what Physic did, only with a book instead of the TV. As it was I ended up in the Stockwell Swan, dancing like a **** with a party hat lopsidedly affixed to my oversized head. I haven't made any resolutions. What's the point? I haven't kept a single one I've ever made, so why set myself up for more failure? I suppose in a general way I've got to sort out my job, debts and ailing mental health, but they aren't resolutions so much as vague ideas.

Anyway. I've had TWO WEEKS away from work, making today particularly horrendous. As I lay in bed this morning, one eye on Raymond, I could feel my nerves buzzing in resistance to ever rising. It came in warm rushes from my spine to my fingertips, where it congealed into a slow pain. By the time I was queuing for a travelcard, the horror had driven away any discernible thought or feeling. Just another numb apocalypse. There's got to be a better way.

*thinks*

But as I said. Happy New Year, and I hope that everybody had a merry xmas patrick.

[ 04.01.2005, 05:30: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

Also, after two days of whiskey, my throat has virtually healed over in a desperate bid to save itself.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Without even the minor mental exercise of vaguely working a few days a week, any intelligence or even recollection of what it is I'm supposed to be doing seems to have drained out of my brain and into the settee. Resolution no.25. Boil cushions to retrieve brainpower.

Can it really only be 10.20? I seem to have been at this desk since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

And surely it's time for a high-calorie snack?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on form since I got in - tearing into a terrible feature that I've been stressing about for the past two weeks. Eurgh.

But! For New Years I went to a cottage, and drank and then VP wandered out into the car park and got her knickers out. I would have taken a photo, but I was lying face down in the gravel, bleeding.

Dr. Benway

well done VP and Thorn! Performance art at NYE - very avant guarde of you.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+