email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Jarhead

Author Topic: Jarhead
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever seen a film where nothing really happens and yet it feels like everything happens ? No ?, Try Jarhead.

Based on a book by Anthony Swofford (played here by Gay Cowboy Jake Gyllenhaal) it tells the tale of his time spent in the Corps, from his first day in boot camp to his last day in Iraq.

Sitting around for six months doing nothing.
Playing football, sleeping and masturbating until finally ordered to make their way to the front line of battle.
However the initial air attack on the Iraqi forces was so efficient that most soldiers didn’t even get to fire their gun once.

It's grim, and plays up the futility of war, the mindless hours spent training to do nothing, exercises in wasting time and gearing up to fight a war for oil.

Doesn't sound gripping does it ? I was on the edge of my seat, you can really feel the tension.

Jake Gyllenhaal's expressionless hangdog face portrays the underlying emotions (and at times lack thereof) of the lead character perfectly.

Additionally there are some great performances from the supporting cast, in particular Peter Sarsgaard as Troy, though I had trouble connecting with Jamie Foxx's Staff Sgt. Sykes character that seemed to be pulled directly out of the big book of clichés.

The cinematography is excellent, and the shots of a burning Kuwait, raining oil and burned out vehicles and people in the desert were nothing short of breathtaking and other worldly.

It's not a War Film, it's not even really a film about a war, it's just one mans viewpoint, nothing more, nothing less, no soapbox, no preaching.

8/10

[ 16.01.2006, 06:07: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to see this

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's well worth it.

[ 16.01.2006, 06:05: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to see too.

my flatmate said match point is good, but she's american.

still haven't watched gay cowboys. don't think i'll bother now.

what else is good?

[ 16.01.2006, 06:36: Message edited by: vikram ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Capote is supposed to be good.

Match Point, I 'm not sure, OK it's Woody written but it's also Scarlett Johansson acted and I still can't make my mind up about her.

[ 16.01.2006, 06:41: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vikram told me that Kate Moss and Lindsey Lohan wrote 'SCARLETT IS A **** ' on the wall of some toilet in some bar somewhere if that helps? I have only ever in my life written that another girl is a **** on a toilet wall, and she WAS, so I reckon it's probably quite likely that Scarlet is also.

It's investigative journalism skills like that that got me where I am today, folks.

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be cool if she was a slag because then, if she ever turned up in Lewisham, I might have a chance, you know?
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moss and Lohan probably think that everybody is a **** though.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought she was great in Lost in Translation personally, and have heard no tales of cuntiness.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to see Bored Soldiers film more than Cowboy Gayness film.

I think Peter Sarsgard is my new favourite American actor, he was the best thing about both Garden State and Kinsey.

Also Roy, not if I had anything to say about it you wouldn't.

[ 16.01.2006, 07:19: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
He was good in The Skeleton Key too, though the film wasn't very good in and of itself.

--------------------

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
At this very moment, I am watching Last Days

And I found a pill in my coat pocket. The two events are not related, other than they happened the past fifteen minutes.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going to do the pill? Go on, Roy, do the pill.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Ahem.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Man, Last Days is kind of dull. I feel like shooting myself now.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
No, I was a bit premature. He's gone downstairs now, so he can mope about and be moody there instead.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Oh, just shoot yourself, you self-absorbed twat.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Yes! He's dead!
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confessions of a Trickbaby is the best grunge film ever. Ever copy comes with a free 'Vincent Gallo as transvetite nun with massive cock!'

[ 16.01.2006, 10:08: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Now I am watching 'Dig'
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked that film a lot, especially you broke my fucking sitar motherfucker. also, i think the brian jonestown's bez might actually be better at bezzing than bez is. what do you think, roy?

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
So far:

Yes, the broken sitar was funny. Also, did you think that the Brian Jonestown Massacare were, well, shit?

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes, id rather listen to liver. but then, everyone always wanked on about BRMC too and i thought they were absolute bumwash.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed Jarhead. Jakey G was great (especially in the many near-buff scenes), making the character mostly likeable and very believable. I thought it looked amazing, and was taut, and occasionally very funny. It was also incredibly loud- lots of drill shouting and war noises of course, but the soundtrack was the most thunderous I've ever heard in a cinema. The scene where a room of whooping marines watch Apocalypse Now, roaring along with Wagner in exultant glee was genuinely astonishing.

My only criticism was that it got a little heavy-handed towards the end (plinky plink, look, it's serious now, ok? piano music as the old vet boards the parading bus etc). I think Sam was thinking about the gold shiny little men at that point.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+