email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » Roygate (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Roygate
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really happened on that day?

Are we being told the truth or fed a line?

Whose agenda would it serve for two posters to absent themselves from the boards?

Why did so many forites assume a prank or a hoax was being played out?

What clues were left that a hoax may, in fact, have been what we were witnessing?

All we have is the textual equivalent of the Warren Commission report. Not perfect but it’s all we have to go on. Maybe some eagle-eyed forites could piece together a Zapruder film? Whatever. Questions need answering.

The search for the truth starts here.

Together, with courage and a clear eye, we can get to the bottom of this.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent!
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be a good place to start...

quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Come on Roy - defend yourself.

*Jabs Roy in face tauntingly, feints, jabs again*

Yeah. Not such a hard man now, yeah?

*Lands bone crushing blow against Roy's cheek, spins round, delivers roundhouse to the throat and flings Roy through window, BA Baracus-style*

Yeah, Roy? Yeah? Come ON, motherfucker.

*Breathes fire at Roy*

YOGA FLAME.

*Toasts marshmallows by the heat or Roy's burning, twitching body*

*Snorton appears, shakes head sadly*

Snorton: "A black man did this."

A bit cavalier, no?

Yet later that same day ben had miraculously turned into a concerned citizen. It was as if he had been tipped off to some classified information and suddenly revised his approach to the entire situation, in order to make the story fit.

Do you see?

--------------------
sweet

omikin
Jo det ska jag tala om för dig
 - posted      Profile for omikin           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is to be gained by this?

--------------------
i shot a man in reno
just to watch him die

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
I think it would just be easier all round to accept Kovacs version of events.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
posted 17-03-2006 11:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I think that we're on, what, version 2?

!

What could he mean by that?

Easier all round?

Version of events?

Version 2?

Hmmmm...

Strange?

Or explicable?

--------------------
sweet

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why's this in Games? Because you suspect it's a game? Or what?

There's something decidedly fishy about the whole Roygate episode, including the fact that nobody will talk about Roygate. Like fightclub, in fact, once again.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why it was desirable for Roy to leave the boards. But for added drama:

Yoga Flame ref
quote:
 -

that luminous ectoplasmic swirl you see, the colour of "Jedi Spirits", is paratopic matter or "soul-energy"... see how in my scan it centres around the MOUTH, ready to be hurled out in a gob of decimating bile like a Special Attack in Street Fighter II

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in hospital for two nights for surgery that went in through my mouth to repair my cheek. I have a metal pin in my face for life. The nerves have gone, again for life, in part of my face. Anyone who thinks such things are good sport for a thread has my sympathy. Be seeing you.

--------------------
member #28

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like....you and Ben, you mean?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was best Roy left. It was pretty unfair on Kovacs not to be able to use his favourite board.

--------------------

Online Poker
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Online Poker           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buried in TMO archives, an MI5 report on the whole palava.

It would seem persona A, code-named kovacs had a relationship with subject B, known as Roy. They agreed never to talk about it again but kovacs couldn't let it go. No he couldn't. He called and called ... just one drink .. I've never known what its like to feel like a real woman.. Witnesses testified to the fact that Roy remained aloof. The aloofness of a man who has made his bird all spunk-drunk and giggly. She be hooked, he's a man who knows his only job is rationing the bitch. But she wouldn't let it lie would she. And then, when she'd exhausted all other methods of acquiring his portion she came to the pub he was known to frequent.

If I can't have him, noone will ...

He's a wife-beater .. 'post'

--------------------
A Division of VOP Enterprises

New Way Of Decay

Carter, as a person who was once mocked by Kovacs over whether you'd punch him, would you turn back the clock? Would you turn back the clock on a man who has one of those? Glasses? no.. Face? ... no Superiority complex? No no no. Face plate.

--------------------

omikin
Jo det ska jag tala om för dig
 - posted      Profile for omikin           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by omikin:
what is to be gained by this?

?

--------------------
i shot a man in reno
just to watch him die

New Way Of Decay

You think you're confused.

--------------------

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
I'm still not entirely sure why I was being mocked by kovacs, given that I'd restrained myself from physical violence. Unlike, for example, restraining yourself from screaming abuse into the face of an 18-year-old girl.

But hey. The last time I got punched was by a policeman. And all that happened after that was he bought me a pint after the game and told me not to play the ball on the floor so blatantly.

I don't think I would now, and I didn't then. Yay for me.

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
Although I did see kovacs at Clapham Junction about 6 weeks ago, tried to say hello and got completely blanked! So perhaps mocking is best done textually.
Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
I was wearing my scary revision beard, though.

Brrr...

New Way Of Decay

Don't worry though, like the guilty semen stain that refuses to go away, your bearded heads up will be read.

--------------------

Black Mask

Why is this a touchy subject? A few people have pointed out that the whole flow of that thread and a few specific posts gave the whole thing a curious feel. People prank and hoax and bullshit on here often, this is upping the ante considerably, true, but... you know. And besides, bad luck on the facial numbness but no one got killed. If everything happened exactly as kovacs says, and if Roy is 'guilty' what's the worst thing that happened? Two friends fell out, one might need anger management help the other got (quite badly) hurt. I know I can be insensitive... Am I being extremely insensitive here?

--------------------
sweet

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
Well, I don't think you are. But on the other hand, I see worse facial injuries than that most nights, so my perspective is a bit skewed.
Black Mask

Maybe I'm autistic?

--------------------
sweet

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
Here's a thought.

If kovacs had been the one to lose his rag, get a lucky punch in and break Roy's zygoma, would we have seen all this but backwards?

Or not?

George the Robot
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for George the Robot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carter:
Well, I don't think you are. But on the other hand, I see worse facial injuries than that most nights, so my perspective is a bit skewed.

Yes, but have you ever had a worse facial injury than that? Or even close? I think not.

--------------------
murr.

New Way Of Decay

So what you are saying George is that you need to have a few drinks, have a fight and lose in order to understand? Sounds like a fucking mugs game. The only thing worse than that would be to try and look hard-done-by afterwards.

--------------------

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
Well, I've had my nose and my jaw broken. THey needed operations. I suppose "worse" is subjective though, and depends on how you react to such things on an emotional level.
Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
For reference, though, the second injury required that
quote:
I was in hospital for two nights for surgery that went in through my mouth to repair my jaw. I have two metal screws and a plate in my face for life.
If that helps.

Am I allowed to comment now?

Edit - It has ruined my UBB [Frown]

[ 25.04.2006, 08:02: Message edited by: Carter ]

George the Robot
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for George the Robot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
So what you are saying George is that you need to have a few drinks, have a fight and lose in order to understand? Sounds like a fucking mugs game. The only thing worse than that would be to try and look hard-done-by afterwards.

No - obviously not. I'm just questioning whether Carter's experience as a doctor really gives him any real perspective as to how Kovacs feels about the fact he had his face smashed in by Roy. To me, having your cheekbone shattered by a mate isn't a run-of-the-mill 'so what?' event.

[ 25.04.2006, 08:03: Message edited by: George the Robot ]

--------------------
murr.

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
Shit. Sorry George. The fact is, neither of those injuries were caused by friends in a bizarre middle-class Fight-and-Cheese Club style mash-up.

I'll have to leave the floor open to those with more relevant experience.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I know I can be insensitive... Am I being extremely insensitive here?

I reckon it's just that people take different things seriously, have different outlooks on life and all that.

I've said before that I don't get why this particular event was such a big deal. I was nearly killed by a white van man a few years ago but, beyond thinking he was a prat, I don't feel any malice or desire for revenge or get all tearful when people joke about running cyclists over! Anyway, I'd have thought in Kovacs' line of work he'd have quite relished being part robot.

But plenty of people obviously do take it all seriously. They either don't want to talk about it themselves or come on here telling us we shouldn't talk about it either. Bollocks to 'em, 's what I say. Just as I would expect them to say bollocks to me.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand Mask's belief that there could be a 'social experiment' going on, after all it's happened before in various assorted guises.

What bugs me though is, well, let's equate it to pubs.

Kelvin and Ray both drink in the Horse and Hounds.
Kelvin and Ray have a debacle
Kelvin and Ray continue to drink in the Horse and Hounds.

Kelvin then starts drinking in the White Horse, he likes the White Horse and only ever comes into the Horse and Hounds at lunchtime on a Tuesday to say "Oh, isn't it quiet".

Ray on the other hand is in most nights of the week and getting on really well with everyone.

Kelvin walks past the Horse and Hounds one night on his way to the White Horse and sees a busy pub and Ray having a good time, he seethes and returns later after Ray has gone home and tells everyone that Ray is a cnut and that he (Ray) beat him (Kelvin) up.

Ray no longer feels welcome in the Horse and Hounds as people who know Kelvin drink there and think Ray was a bit of a knob to twat Kelvin one.

Kelvin carries on drinking in the White Horse and doesn't even pop by the Horse and Hounds on Tuesdays anymore, he just looks through the window.

Ray is drinking in the Bricklayers Arms.

Or is he ?

The Horse and Hounds is quiet, even for a Tuesday.

People at the Horse and Hounds start to wonder why Kelvin would bother stirring stuff up in the Horse and Hounds if he's only going to drink at the White Horse.

The barman at the Horse and Hounds would be happy to serve either of them a drink if they'd just come in and the regulars at the Horse and Hounds seem to feel pretty much the same way.

These days, the pub is quiet - Perhaps we should have a happy hour..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the odd aspects, though, is that Kovacs had previously started a thread all about his being beaten up, complete with pic, in a moderately undramatic way. He got some sympathy, someone probably made a knob gag about five posts later. When the same story was retold through a different lens, it became a tragedy of which no-one must speak, with lots of pained turnings away and 'I would be alone's.

So, people either thought one or both of the stories was untrue, or exaggerated, or a Kovacian game of smoke and mirrors, and resented having their emotional strings pulled in multiple and confusing directions.

George the Robot
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Carter:
Shit. Sorry George. The fact is, neither of those injuries were caused by friends in a bizarre middle-class Fight-and-Cheese Club style mash-up.

I'll have to leave the floor open to those with more relevant experience.

meh. I was just commenting that the fact that there's lots of facial injuries, and you get to see them, doesn't necessarily mean that it's no big deal. That's all. Personally I've had no bones broken in my face, so by your logic I guess I should leave the floor open as well.

--------------------
murr.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon, half price jugs of cocktails and a free bag of smokey bacon crisps for anyone who spends a tenner.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Black Mask

Maybe Kelvin occasionally came to the White Horse disguised as Ray, you know, for a laugh. Then everyone got to like Ray more than Kelvin. Kelvin got a bit brassed off and had Ray beaten to death in the car park by gypsies. Or, maybe Kelvin was quite happy with his alterego, Ray, until he got fed up with the White Horse and decided he'd drop it out, except he didn't want anyone to twig he was actually Ray, too! So, he invented a story that would get both of them out of the frame. Or maybe Ray and Kelvin are such good mates that they would agree to forego the charms of the White Horse in order to pull off a spectacular hoax?

--------------------
sweet

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the kovacs-roy thing was a real event (it seems quite 'kovacian' to try and re-enact one's own version of fight club), since both kovacs, roy and modge effectively had similar versions of events - although modge's posts could I suppose have been kovacs wearing drag - but the ben-fish thing is just blatantly wrong.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

This topic is comprised of pages: 5 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+