Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just *out of interest*, you know. Or maybe we could talk about games! Or not - either way is fine!

I've just made it through the first four parts of Phoenix wright, which I've enjoyed, and am pleased to read the the fifth part is way longer than the first four. Not since a Sierra game have I got so frustrated/excited about puzzle solving, even if the puzzles are for the most part very simple. Still I wasn't sure how much I'd get out of it after cruising through the first two parts fairly easily, but the last one was great. Ridiculous, but entertaining. It's a great game... very text heavy, kind of like a hentai game, with characters popping up and having conversations, complete with lots of internal thought from you as phoenix. But the cases, while not 'clever', are always nigh on unbreakable apart from one or two tiny details which you then mine until the case collapses. I got into it way more than I expected to, and for the first time in a month I'm playing something other than Animal Crossing.

Also dug out Wind Waker again after the E3 showing of the new Zelda, and was [Frown] to see that the last person to play it was Raz, around two years ago. Still haven't finished it, mostly because I got bored raising money to pay for Tingle to translate maps. In the spirit of playing old games, I also had a crack at Metroid, and couldn't control it, let alone have a chance at defeating the Omega Pirate, where I left the game in 2004.

Also - has anybody played 'Shadowgrounds'? Picked it up, started it, and it looks okay. Has anybody persevered with this?

Aside from all that horseshit that I just said - what are people are 'rocking' at the moment?

[ 07.06.2006, 08:55: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed twelve hours of Resident Evil 4 at Rong'un's last weekend. I enjoyed it immenesly. It didn't quite have the feeling of dread that the first one inspired but I would go 'sheeeereeeereeeeeeee-it' whenever any Il Illuminados busted out all manners of whup on me. There's the nervous swapping of guns when their heads pop off to reveal an insect creature inside. I love the 'Thing' inspired hounds that lash at you. It also includes a cute girl, which without the inclusion of a skirt that lifts up to reveal panties, would be a game incomplete. I would, with my pixelated peeny.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played that through again recently. It's just perfect ain't it. Restarting so you've got all the top weapons and then bowling into the village and shooting everybody in the face is pretty much arcade heaven. I've also been trying to do 'Mercenaries' mode but fucking hell that's hard as fuck.

[ 07.06.2006, 09:04: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been quitely playing this at my desk for the last few hours. [Frown]
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I've also been trying to do 'Mercenaries' mode but fucking hell that's hard as fuck.

What's that? Sounds interesting.

My favourite part was shooting the cultists with the shields using the magnum. Bakoom! In your face, fuckstick. Haha! Kill another. I had to stop Ringo from suggesting I was the little boy in the game though. Best to nip these insults in the bud early.

I've also been playing Unreal. On my own, without any of you guys [Frown]

--------------------

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been playing Fallout for the last few weeks. Much better than all those fancy shmancy games.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you, George. Old school all the way. [Smile]
Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
I've also been trying to do 'Mercenaries' mode but fucking hell that's hard as fuck.

What's that? Sounds interesting.

I've also been playing Unreal. On my own, without any of you guys [Frown]

You get 1.5 minutes on the clock to kill as many dudes as possible. You can choose a location from the game and you're given a pistol and a shotgun, and then go apeshit. You can find things to extend your time or get double points, and basically the aim is to get a rating (either four or five stars, I can't remember) to unlock different playable characters. It's really hard, and proper sweaty palms stuff. Running around the village is great, jumping through windows, climbing over roofs, just killing as many guys as you can is exciting, but hard when the chainsaw people appear in pairs.

also, I like unreal but I can't seem to get it to run properly. It always seems a bit slow for me, lagging to the point where it's a slideshow rather than a game. Also, I am shit at it, and just run around firing indiscriminately until somebody (usually a 10 year old yank) puts me out of misery and has a laugh at me. Same with HL2 and CounterStrike: Source.

[ 07.06.2006, 09:21: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just finished F.E.A.R. which I found thoroughly enjoyable if rather repetetive. As with the Max Payne games, I found the bullet time feature a lot of fun and combined with quicksave, it allows you to easily test out different methods of combat. Even when I'd succesfully cleared a room, I would frequently quickload, just for the fun of trying it again with a different weapon or approach. The plot wasn't bad for a videogame but it's a shame to have to apply that condition to almost every game. Deus Ex, though, blah, blah...

As well as playing through a few old Mario classics, I've been exploring the world of freeware and shareware games.

*Plasma Pong is completely free, looks amazing and actually gets pretty challenging:

-

*Binary Zoo have produced some excellent shooters (mono and duo) which are also free and deserve a mention here.

-

Trackmania Nations

-

A cross between the genres of racing and puzzle, thanks to the bizarre stunt tracks, TMN allows you to hone your skills offline, customize your car and then take on the world's best online, all for *free. Plus you can design your own ridiculous tracks.

If you like physics based games, you'll find a wealth of amazingly addictive content at the *Fun-Motion site. My particular favourites include:

Zen Bondage

-

It involves wrapping a 3D object with rope (seriously).

Ski Stunt Simulator
 -

This is strictly 2D and requires a good understanding of balance, inertia and mouse control. Hellishly addictive.

In terms of retail games...

Hitman: Blood Money

-

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the fourth installment of the series. I've enjoyed all of the previous games, thanks to the immense replayability factor.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to find a Playstation ISO of Parappa the Rapper (The Hip-Hop Hero). Sadly I can't get it to run smoothly through an emulator on PC, which is pretty much vital when you're playing a rhythm game [insert birth control gag].

"In the rain or in the snow,
Got the funky, funky flow"

I'm tempted to buy (are you feeling okay, Misc?) the next installment of Half Life 2, entitled simply Episode One. It's about $20 via Steam or £20 in a shop, which seems like a lot of money for about five hours' entertainment, but... well... it is Half Life, isn't it?

There seems to be a trend emerging for episodic content at the moment. SIN Episodes is another Source-based game which is delivered via Steam. From the reviews I've read it's not a patch on the game upon which it was based. Shame.

To conclude my Half Life section, I should mention the single player *Minerva mod, now on its second installment with a third due shortly. The level design is excellent and the graphics are on a par with HL2 itself.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was playing Half Life Episode One last night, and it's really really good. There's a great idea about every two minutes. It's really slickly put together. However, there's some kind of bug which is stopping the next chapter from loading properly, which means I can't actually progress with it anymore. I don't know whether this was my computer misbehaving last night, or a problem with the install. Because about it over fucking stupid idiot Steam, I'm going to have to take it off my hard drive and then install it all over again. This is apparently the future of gaming. I really hate Steam.

I also had a crack at SiN Episode One, which was largely a big barrel of monkey spunk. At first glance it seemed to tick all the right boxes for my gaming requirements: bright colours, noisy explosions every other second and - crucially - cut scenes featuring enormous jiggling tits. So I was kind of astonished to find that I wasn't enjoying it at all. There were a couple of good moments where people got set on fire and screamed convincingly, but other than that the thing was so absolutely simplistic and repetitive I found myself wishing for some kind of cerebral engagement, and that's something that almost never happens.

It's also very old fashioned. It seems strange and stupidly unrealistic now - after the likes of FEAR, Far Cry and call of duty 2, to have weapons that are absolutely precisely accurate to a pixel, for example. Plus the enemies are complete cretins. I'd forgotten how ridiculous it is to play a game where you accidentally miss a shot at someone's head, shattering the glass behind them, and they continue doing whatever they were doing as though nothing had happen. See also: shooting a guard in the middle of their conversation, and having their partner act as though nothing has happened even though their mate's brains are splattered over their jumpsuit. Rubbish.

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, I was warned it wasn't really a game as such, but Jesus. Nobody told me it was primary school homework. Times tables, memory tests, close reading, join the dots, colour recognition ... that kind of shit. Same microphones problems as Nintendogs. Except this time it tries to make out it's your own fault for being Scottish or something. You're like, 'Blue. Blue. BLUE. Blooo. Buh-loo. Boo. Loo. Fucksake, why won't you just recognise my voice? Why do you hate me? What have I ever done, hm? What did I ever do to deserve this?' and then you spend the remainder of the time limit blaming the DS for everything bad that's every happened to you, until it goes, 'WE HAVE CALCULATED THE AGE OF YOUR BRAIN. YOUR BRAIN IS EIGHTY YEARS OLD. (YOU DO NOT KNOW THE COLOUR BLUE).' So yeah. Brain Age is gash. No one buy it. Unless you like sudoku puzzles. In which case. Well. You're kind of a **** , aren't you? No offence.

Instead, buy New Super Mario Bros. Which is brilliant. Not as brilliant as SMB3 or Super Mario World, obvs, and not brilliant enough for me to be arsed enough to write about it. But, you know. Brilliant. Yeah. Will that do?

Also been playing Pikmin 2 and We Love Katamari, which are kind of similar, I guess, except for the fact that Pikmin 2 is like, yeah, and We Love Katamari is like, meh. Is that enough?

Dr. Benway

I've heard that 'blue' is a known problem on that 'game'. And isn't it aimed more at people who are in danger of suffering from Alzheimers, rather than bright sparks in their early twenties?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I actually play any games on my mac or should I just stick to the xbox 360?
New Way Of Decay

You can play games on the mac but save yourself the hassle and don't bother. My housemate was supplied a G5 mac, top of the range, flashy as all hell and it still didn't run Doom 3 without jerking all over the place. In fact Star Wars Battlefront was jerky too. Dissapointing.

--------------------

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never bothered to try playing games on macs. It made me laugh when I went to the apple show and they had a bank of about 20 top o' the range G5 Towers linked up to 23" widescreen displays with kids playing games. I mean for fucks sake why spend £2500 on a a mac system just so you can play games?

I'd be kinda interested to see how halo runs on a macmini though.

Ringo

Mine's a core-duo mac mini so should be ok to run some games. But apparently you have to go to a "shop" and then "purchase" the games. That sounds like a whole lot of hassle.

I'll stick with the sexbox

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve been playing my way through Tomb Raider – Legend on the Xbox, completing the story mode last night. I found it surprisingly enjoyable, barring a couple of control mechanism niggles, and the game gets back to the essential nitty-gritty jumping/climbing/swimming/shooting action of the series’ earlier titles whilst looking very nice indeed.

I’ve also been playing the less pretty GTA – Liberty City Stories on PS2, converted back from the PSP and released on a budget price point. It’s pretty good in the GTA way but suffers from comparison to both of the post GTA III games, Vice City and (particularly) San Andreas. It lacks much of the scope and humour of those titles, and has a greatly diminished radio soundtrack, and after an extended period of play last weekend I found myself somewhat jaded by the repetitious carnage, the first time I think I’ve ever felt that playing at GTA title.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Dr. Benway

Got Trauma Center and Mario+Luigi: Partners in Time about a week ago. Trauma Center is fucking hard as hell, to the point where it wasn't fun, so I haven't picked it up much. Mario+Luigi is great though. Very similar to the Paper Mario RPG games, with the same kind of action orientated turn based combat, and a plot based around collected shards of a star to save the princess. It's lovely, very immersive, and rewarding. The artwork is attractive, the jokes are heartwarming, and you can get a fair few hours out of it. Probably up there with Phoenix Wright / Advance Wars / Animal Crossing.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Ringo

Not anything that I'm playing as such but I just got a Swap Magic CD and 'magic card' to allow me to play 'backups' and imported games on my PS2.

Pretty soon I'll be playing Initial D: Special Stage which is only available in Japan. Downside - Japanese menus. I'm sure I'll work it out though, it's just a driving game after all.

New Way Of Decay

Popped over my friends house for an enjoyable computer games romp on the weekend and sampled Shadow of the Collosus, which BR had been playing. It has a certain feeling about the game that is both beautiful and eerie. I managed to topple 6 Collossi and find the 7th before falling down some steps. I like games of this caliber where I can immerse myself into the world. Of course, it's the same studio as Ico, but I'm treading old ground here.

God of War has a chunky, lush feel to it. It benefits from great clipping and smooth controls. You really feel like you are manipulating Kratos with ease across ship masts, old churches and the rooftops of Athens whilst being bombarded by a 100ft Aries. The weapons that the gods generously hand to Kratos can be upgraded, unleashing more powers as you go along. It is strangely bloodthirsty and plays out like the sort of film you could only have dreamed of in the eighties. Basically, the game is a Jason and the Arganauts style affair, with gratuitous tit-shots instead of shonky animation. I enjoyed about five hours of that, and I'd like to play more.

I also played Star Wars Episode 3 as well, but that was complete trout.

--------------------

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God of War is an excellent game to watch someone else playing. The effects are just so silly. And the music is rather stirring. Also good for watching other people play: Tony Hawkes games.

That is the sum of my Games related contribution. I'm still fascinated by Bejewelled.

Good Fairy
We'll be the pirate twins again
 - posted      Profile for Good Fairy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I picked up 007 Rogue Agent(PS2) for £2 on sat from an Argos pikey sale place. So only spent about an hour on it. Very enjoyable shoot em up. Dont think I would have spent £30 on it, but WELL worth £2.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
God of War is an excellent game to watch someone else playing.

Apparently they are bandying about making it into a flim. Which would be, you know alright. Tits.

--------------------

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my fathr in law won an Xbox 360 in a sweepstakes, and rather than sell it on Ebay, he's giving it to us! Woohoo! Apparently it comes with one wireless controller, the whole xbox live thingy nd a headseat. PLUS! Six games. Which brings me to my question...

Has anyone played the following games, and if so, are they any good? Also, has anyone played the new Xbox, and do you like it?

Games:

Call to duty 2
Elements of Power
Dead or Alive 4
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3

(The other game is Madden 06, which will be exchanged for another game, as A and I hate American football. )

Thanks.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Amy:
Call to duty 2

Call of Duty 2 is fantastic on the PC (even better than the excellent CoD1). I can't comment on the xbox 360 as my hands spazz up whenever I try and play an FPS without a mouse and keyboard.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm playing XIII on the Gamecube. It's an FPS. It is good. I got it off eBay for a couple of bob. I also got Wreckless, some dopey 'Yakuza' racing game. That sucks ass.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to play a game set in 1950s Los Angeles, where your character (the bastard daughter of Betty Page and Ed Gein) is brainwashed by the Chinese to smuggle a nuclear device (which is disguised as a teenaged boy) into the lot of MGM studios. You have to use guile, pussy and ultraviolence to achieve your ends. The bomb is detonated when penetrated by Cary Grant. David Niven is tipped off to your plot and enlists the help of Hollywood's finest to hunt you down with Thompson machine-guns.

--------------------
sweet

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
quote:
Originally posted by Amy:
Call to duty 2

Call of Duty 2 is fantastic on the PC (even better than the excellent CoD1). I can't comment on the xbox 360 as my hands spazz up whenever I try and play an FPS without a mouse and keyboard.
Ah. So, it's an FPS...thanks MF.

I've just gone and looked up most of the games on ign, The Elements of Power game looks pretty good.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
I'd like to play a game set in 1950s Los Angeles, where your character (the bastard daughter of Betty Page and Ed Gein) is brainwashed by the Chinese to smuggle a nuclear device (which is disguised as a teenaged boy) into the lot of MGM studios. You have to use guile, pussy and ultraviolence to achieve your ends. The bomb is detonated when penetrated by Cary Grant. David Niven is tipped off to your plot and enlists the help of Hollywood's finest to hunt you down with Thompson machine-guns.

me too.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

MiscellaneousFiles

I'm totally looking forward to this:

-

MiscellaneousFiles

And this is sure to be a smash in 2007...

-

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
I'm totally looking forward to this:

-

LOL, excellent - You should b3ta that.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

MiscellaneousFiles

Is it just me, or is the 360 remote kinda phallic?

-

MiscellaneousFiles

Something tells me this will be a perfect title for the DS...

-

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+