Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 103)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe you had a buggy copy.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's just me, and I simply have trouble engaging with games. I was talking to mikee the other day about having to make moral choices in games like Bioshock and it strikes me that I'd always choose the option which is most beneficial to me as the player. Because I approach most games as a fairly logical set of problems. Deciding whether or not to harvest a little sister has no more bearing on my morality than choosing between two alternate routes on Trials - I'll always choose the option which is most beneficial to me completing the game.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should play mass effect then. it balances the morality differently to something like bioshock. Although it almost sounds like you don't even enjoy games.

[ 24.02.2010, 08:07: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Ringo

I'd like to. It does sound good. But I'm put off by two things - the first being that I never played the first game. And the second being that I can't be gay.
Kanye West
TMO Member
first one is also worth playing.
Ringo

I do like games, but probably more for the fact that I find the process of problem solving quite rewarding. Puzzly platformer/adventure games really appeal to me. Although they were absolutely bonkers, I always loved the puzzles in the Resident Evil games. The Tomb Raider games have a similar sort of appeal in having to carefully work out the route across certain obstacles and suchlike. I get a lot of enjoyment from that. Older, more acadey games had a lot more of this emphasis. Platformers like the Mario games.

But I also like games which are highly atmospheric, and this is one way in which I do find games quite engaging. I recently decided to have a try at the Bioshock games and the past couple of times I’ve played it I had to turn it off because it was too intense and my nerves were on edge. I got so scared before my first encounter with a Big Daddy that I actually had a nightmare about it.

On the flipside, there are very few games that I can think of where I felt like i genuinely cared about the characters. I realize I’m probably coming across as a bit autistic here, what with being unable to empathise with characters while really enjoying simple logic problems. But I always feel like it’s down to some crucial yet intangible element that is missing in a lot of these games. The only recent example I can think of where I found the main character really engaging is Ezio in Assassin’s Creed 2. Bayonetta is quite likeable, with her ridiculous quips and flirtatious nature, but she’s too much of a caricature to really find believable as a human being.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might find *this article interesting.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Misc...that was a pretty good article. That last game he mentioned sounds interesting. Heavy Rain, I think. I'm going to have to Google it and see when it's supposed to be released.

I always loved the puzzles in Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. When I first got a PS1, I used to play RE at night and get scared half to death, just from the sound effects. Heh. Good times.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I'm sure you found out, it's just been released in the US. I should be getting my copy tomorrow... and plan to spend the weekend cutting off my fingers and trying to get my kid to talk to me.
Ringo

Gaming has made me a four eyes

-

MiscellaneousFiles

It think that might be down to the wanking, Chris.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
I'd like to. It does sound good. But I'm put off by two things - the first being that I never played the first game. And the second being that I can't be gay.

Well, I never played the first one, in fact I have absolutely no idea what it was about and I'm enjoying the second one a lot. There's obviously bits in the game which refer back to the first game and go over my head, but it doesn't spoil the game, although I'm sure you'd get more out of it if you played the first.

Based on what you have said, I think you might enjoy it.

Kanye West
TMO Member
the first game has a much better story, and a heart stoppingly awesome final few hours.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the main story in the first one is brilliant, with some great twists. The side missions are all pretty much the same, and the performance is a bit wobbly, but it's still very excellent. I didn't get into the characters quite as much, but it's still an arresting experience.
Kanye West
TMO Member
talking of games, I made this video. Requires sound.

[ 25.02.2010, 06:26: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Tilde
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:

Freaky!
Tilde
TMO Member
Also I like your glasses Ringo.
Ringo

Thanks. They're made by the police, or something.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look very 'with it'.
Thorn Davis

Here's an interesting little fact: I once lied on an eye-test because I wanted some glasses. I wanted to have the option. It was back when I was about 18, and I decided it would be good to have some reading glasses to give me a wider variety of 'look'. So i could be 'metal', by accesorising long hair with sleeveless top and combat trousers, or I could do poet, by putting on a jumper and my glasses. Anyway. They eventually broke, and I couldn't be bothered to replace them. Not only is my eyesight perfect on the normal human spectrums, it also has things look 'zoom', 'heatmap', 'infrared' and and a special night-vision setting that works in zero lux.
Ringo

I thought my vision was ok to be honest, but figured I should take an eye test anyway since I work with computers all the time. He covered up my left eye and immediately I couldn't focus on the letters properly. Apparently I can't focus on horizontal lines, only vertical ones.

I played Trials last night wearing the glasses and managed to beat several of Seb's times, so I am going to rank this as a success.

Tilde
TMO Member
I think I'm going to need counselling after ME2.
Ringo

Played Trials again last night for a few hours. Improved a few times. Hit a bit of a wall now though. Didn't sleep hardly at all last night. Think the two things are related.

I think I will get Mass Effect 2. The whole interractions/character development/storyline mechanic sounds pretty cool. And if I can play through it without missing out on anything since I never played the first game, then that's great.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to borrow the first one, I'm happy to send it to you Ringo as I'm not going to play it until I get a new TV and I'm not going to get a new TV until i buy a house which is likely to be a while off as even though Kate wants to buy one now, I reckon there is going to be another dip in the economy causing house prices to crash down so I'm stalling a bit.
Thorn Davis

I strongly recommend playing through the Mass Effect games as a woman, just because the voice acting is so much better. It also just makes the game that much more unusual, having a strong female lead who's not presented as a sexual fantasy at any point.
MiscellaneousFiles

Played some Heavy Rain last night. Tucked my kid in. Had a shave. Killed some Nazis.
Ringo

Can you give her ridiculous cleavage?

Actually I was already thinking I'd probably play through as a woman.

CiH if you were able to give us a lend of your copy that would be brilliant. I could lend you something in return, but I've no idea what I have that might interest you. I have a drawer full of cup a soups in a range of flavours?

Tilde
TMO Member
Careful Ringo, there may be burglars watching.
Ringo

It's ok; every night I lock the drawer with a key which I hide under my keyboard.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah no problem for the lend. I'll just take your PS3 and one of your cats in return.

[ 26.02.2010, 06:07: Message edited by: Cherry In Hove ]

Ringo

Cheers. You have mail.

Will you be there to receive delivery of the cat and the PS3 or shall I try to squash them down to fit through your letterbox?

Kanye West
TMO Member
I caved in, got a gba emulator for my nexus one, and am now finally playing the translated mother3 without fear of crashes and save corruption. also finished darwinia+ single player, which is kick-ass.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Just post them in a box and if I'm not in I'll go and pick them up from the sorting depot a few days later.
Kanye West
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:
quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:

Freaky!
originally it was quite jolly, but you know how these things end up.
Kanye West
TMO Member
great stuff, yes, darwinia+, really recommend it. *sigh*

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+