Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 104)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agreed, it's surprisingly moving for what is essentially an rts.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes! I think it's because for once you're not a general or miltary leader, but instead play a kind of paternal role, having to save your forces from harm rather than just assuring victory for yourself. I suppose it's like an rts crossed with Lemmings in that respect.
Kanye West
TMO Member
Lemmings would make sense, considering the heritage of the developers. The look and feel is all a bit Psygnosis really.
Kanye West
TMO Member
true.
Kanye West
TMO Member
talking of RTS - pumped for Supreme Commander 2?
Kanye West
TMO Member
not really, m7. Never played the first one beyond the demo. Good nuke action in that though.
Kanye West
TMO Member
m7.... ? [Frown] [Confused]
Kanye West
TMO Member
yes. Twat.
Kanye West
TMO Member
Oh.. I thought -
Kanye West
TMO Member
oh will you shut your fucking mouth PLEASE
Kanye West
TMO Member
but I
Kanye West
TMO Member
fuck off please
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I was thinking about games last night and remembered feeling a moment of genuine emotional involvement with a game - when I was playing Oddworld on the Playstation (a sadly forgotten, brilliant series of games) and I did the thing where you can dupe two of the aliens (modukons? something like that) into slapping each other. One of them slapped the other one until he died, and then seemed to break down crying with remorse. For a few brief moments, I actually felt a pang of guilt.
Kanye West
TMO Member
that sounds a bit sad
Kanye West
TMO Member
shut up.
Kanye West
TMO Member
i think i've said it a few times, but end of the first monkey island was probably the most emotional gaming moment of my life to date.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought Darwinia off of steam a while back, but didn't play much of it. I don't think it's aimed at people like me.
Ringo

There was a platformer game for the snes. You start off, you're like a scientist or something but in the opening cutscene you're blown to another planet in some kind of accident involving lightning. And you team up with a lumbering, mong-headed alien to escape. The end level has this bit where you're all bashed up wiht broken legs and the alien is fighting off these guards who want to kill you while you slowly drag yourself to safety. Then the final scene he puts you on the back of a dragon for some reason I never really understood. But for whatever reason that always seemed fairly touching.

Also, it would take a heart of blackest stone not to be moved by the interractions of Ico and Yorda

Kanye West
TMO Member
another world?
Kanye West
TMO Member
i don't know why i bothered with a question mark there.
Ringo

Ah I wondered if it was that but couldn't remember if I was confusing it with Flashback
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ending of Half Life Episode 2 made me cry.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Kanye West
TMO Member
don't be soft.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another world and Flashback were oustanding games. I absolutely loved both of them.
Ringo

Your character in Another World was a ginger scientist. He even trumps Gordon Freeman in terms of unlikely protagonists.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking half life. FFS. How long can it take them to make episode 3.

Although, rumours are that it is going to involve the portal gun which would probably make it the best game in all existance of all time.

Kanye West
TMO Member
French, too.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished Mass Effect 2, great game.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heavy Rain is excellent.

Pros:
The gameplay is a lot of fun. The plot is pretty involving, if not hugely original. I like the regular switching between characters - the dramatic changes of pace help to keep things interesting. The best aspect of the game so far is the level of tension that grips you. The awkward controls (at least those that are intended to feel awkward) really do help to impart the sense of panic when required.

Cons:
Control (mainly walking) is a little difficult to get used to, but that's minor. I don't understand these reviews saying how amazing the graphics are, though. I can only assume they were written by someone who hasn't played a video game for at least five years. The faces are quite detailed, but some of the background textures are seriously low-res, one of the characters has cuboid shaped fingers (that you often see in close-ups when he's picking items up) and the cars look horrible by today's standards. Although they're a useful gameplay device, I don't think the FBI agent's "augmented reality glasses" fit in the Heavy Rain world. They seem too obviously video-gamey, where the rest of the game tries so hard to come across as very real and everyday.

That looks like an unfairly long paragraph of cons, because I'm picking on everything that I found annoying. I don't want to add too much to the pros for fear of spoiling the plot.

[ 01.03.2010, 08:37: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
i got it as well. will be talking about it on the 'cast tonight.
Ringo

You got a PS3?

Apparently if I turn mine on at the moment it won't work because of some date issue in the firmware relating to leap years or something.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Apparently if I turn mine on at the moment it won't work because of some date issue in the firmware relating to leap years or something.

Mine worked last night (this morning). Fat and slim, in fact.

And zolo isn't even a leap year [Confused]

ETA: Just noticed this month is Super MAR10 [Embarrassed]

[ 01.03.2010, 10:21: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
yes
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:
Finished Mass Effect 2, great game.

Although I'm kind of in a quandary with what to do now.

What has everyone else done? did you continue on and complete any side missions you missed? or go back to the start with all the powers you've attained for another play through. Or did you go back to a previous save point and replay the end again? Or even just started again completely from scratch?

Or just put the discs back in the cupboard and insert a new game?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:
or go back to the start with all the powers you've attained for another play through.

I started an Insanity playthrough with my Adept, to try and get her up to level 30, and get the Insanity achievement, but I found I was getting molested quite horribly. So once I got the level 30 achievement I started again as a Soldier on insanity.

I'd definitely recommend trying out a different class, and trying out the paragon/ renegade options you avoided the first time.

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+