Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 106)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to selecting character types on games like this, I always lean more toward the soldier type (or knight, or hero, or whatever else the equivalent may be). I never really feel much urge to learn about using magical powers or whatever. I just like my dude to be a no-nonsense tank who can soak up damage and give good gun.

I've been pretty agreeable in conversations so far, though making sure I don't become too much of a fag.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost never go for the warrior. I always go for the glass cannon type of character. Either a mage or a rogue. All about doing massive amounts of damage whilst avoiding taking damage myself.

Although, that changed in DA:O when I started out as a mage which fits my normal role, but then turned into an arcane warrior which is basically a magical tank which was quite an interesting experience.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually avoid the warrior classes too - I tend to worry that I'm going to miss out on what makes the game unique if I always go with gun-crazy tank.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying ME2 with a Soldier (supplemented by Energy Drain). They've worked a large tactical element into the shooting, so you're constantly thinking about which guns to use with which ammo.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, while I really like the turn of phrase "glass cannon", it's worth noting that a glass cannon would be completely useless as an offensive weapon, as it would be irrepairably destroyed the very first time you used it.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm playing Bayonetta through on Hard mode at the moment. It seems a lot easier than on normal mode which I'm pretty sure can't be right so i guess just something has clicked and I've got better at the game.

Bought Enchanted Arms and Last Remnant at the weekend. Played neither yet but will start one tonight.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's this week's Controller Throw podcast? I'm having to listen to year old episodes of the Onion's Hatecast to fill the silence. This is fucking terrible! Amelie Gillette has a nice voice though.
Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
I usually avoid the warrior classes too - I tend to worry that I'm going to miss out on what makes the game unique if I always go with gun-crazy tank.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying ME2 with a Soldier (supplemented by Energy Drain). They've worked a large tactical element into the shooting, so you're constantly thinking about which guns to use with which ammo.

I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from the tactical combat in ME. Once you're outside of the Citadel, you can't just run into a firefight guns blazing; you have to use cover and equip the right types of ammo and armour for whatever type of enemy you're fighting. And different types of enemy require a different approach to using cover, range and so on.

I just feel comfortable with a soldier type. I know where I stand with guns and grenades, while all this magic stuff feel a bit foreign to me, and I'm not sure i like the concept enough to want to learn about it.

Ringo

I'm now up to about 21 hours with this
Thorn Davis

Good, isn't it.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
No
Ringo

It's a great game. But it's not without its flaws. All the stuff with driving around the surface of planets is pretty bad. The vehicle is really hard to control and it's almost useless for combat.

The conversation mechanic is great but it gets a little bit tiresome after a while. Especially when you have to sit through ages of someone explaining their life story just so you can get a little extra XP. This is one of the problems I have with games like this - there's a part of me which can't just skip it because i feel like I'm not getting the full experience of the game if I don't seek out every single side quest. But I don't really get any enjoyment out of it.

Also, Sheperd is such an unlikable jerk that it's hard to see why anyone would actually warm to him. Even when you're trying to be nice to people he still ends up sounding like a bit of a prick. It would make sense if he was at least good looking but my Sheperd looks like he's been in some kind of facial accident.

The inventory management is also particularly terrible. Made all the worse by the fact that you can't go anywhere without picking up a whole truckload of guns and armour for each type of character with only tine differences in their stats. It's all completely unnecessary.

But yeah, these gripes aside it's an absolutely brilliant game with an engrossing storyline. It's one of those games which you find yourself thinking about when you're not playing it which is always a sign of a great title.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
It's one of those games which you find yourself thinking about when you're not playing it which is always a sign of a great title.

I get the same thing with Peggle.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
It's a great game. But it's not without its flaws.

Yes - absolutely. They fix all this stuff in ME2. The vehicle sections are gone completely, as is the inventory system. The conversations are much more cinematic, making them less of a grind, and they no longer earn you XP, so you only have them if you want to, rather than because you feel like you should. I also agree that ManShep comes across as a bit of a bell-end; FemShep is more engaging by an order of magnitude. I can't bring myself to play as ManShep anymore, even though I really want to do a run in ME2 where I fuck Jack.

ETA: That's not to say ME2 doesn't have flaws of its own *kicks planet scanning in the teeth

[ 12.03.2010, 04:51: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Thorn Davis

A couple of points regarding the Mako. Awful as it is, you can make your life easier by using the jump button to jump over attacks, rather than trying to move out the way. This is expecially effective with Geth Armatures and turrets, where the rockets are slow enough for you to get the timing right.

Also, when your shields are worn down, the best thing to do is drive off round the corner, save, then reload that save. Ta-daa! Your shields are now back to full, without you having to wait ten minutes for them to recharge.

Ringo

I have to make a rather feeble confession - I've actually turned the difficulty down to 'casual' (read easy) as I was having trouble getting past one particular fight, and I'm enjoying the combat more. It's another of the weaker elements of the game. Even though the AI sometimes seems clever, at most times the enemies simply run towards you kamikaze style. Not helped by the fact your teammates constantly get in your way (particularly irritating with Wrex). But with the difficulty turned down it's less of a frustration. Maybe with biotics you don't need to be as accurate.

I feel like I'm getting towards the end but I suspect there will be some kind of twist which will keep it going. Annoyingly I've got someone visiting today or i'd be bashing out another five hours or so.

Thorn Davis

The biotics and tend to be geared towards stopping the enemies in their tracks. So, you know. Liara's awesome singularity power should be stacked to the maximum so you can bundle enemies all together and pick them off while they're defenceless and floating through space. Neural shock sends people dropping to the floor, and so on.

Presumably if your Shepard is a soldier you're taking a tech and a biotic out with you each time? Or are you going around with Ashley and Wrex on the grounds that they've got the best armour and guns?

Ringo

Nah I hardly ever take out Wrex. I usually take Tali and Liara.

I think if I do a second playthrough I'll use a character with biotic powers. Probably a woman too. And I'll really make an effort to be a renegade rather than a mix.

I never take out Ashley

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, lovely liara.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No? Okay.

I have finished heavy rain, starting on Silent Hill Shattered memories.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
I have finished heavy rain...

What did you think of the ending?
MiscellaneousFiles

No?
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about getting Left 4 dead.

Should I buy L4D or L4D2?

mainly for online multiplayer purposes.

Kanye West
TMO Member
I think L4D seems to be more widely adopted. Mikee would know.

Heavy Rain ending I got felt pretty satisfactory in terms of representing how I played, but there was something off with the pacing of the final hour or so.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't played the first one, it's probably wiser to pick it up. It's less chaotic, has a better, less gimicky feel to it than the 2nd and more of us play it. It'll be cheaper too. It's a tenner on Play.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Tilde
TMO Member
You got a link to that deal, I can only find it for £17.99 on play?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid you'll have to call me a cock in this instance led me to a 'used - like whores mimsy on a bed of cocks' entry. 17.99 is the best deal *drums fingers on face*

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
try frugalgaming.co.uk.

shopto.net have it for twelve, and they're okay, I've bought a couple of games through them.

Tilde
TMO Member
Followed the link and they're all sold out. I'll have to do some live shopping and check GAME.
New Way Of Decay

Whatever you do, don't pay more money for the 'game of the year' version - the content on the disc can be downloaded for free when you first play.

--------------------

Ringo

I've taken a bit of a break from gaming over the past couple of days, while i get to grips with playing my new ukulele
Kanye West
TMO Member
christ on a fucking bike, ringers.
Kanye West
TMO Member
seriously.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 -

quote:
I've taken a bit of a break from gaming over the past couple of days, while i get to grips with playing my new ukulele

[ 17.03.2010, 09:37: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Ringo

outstanding
Kanye West
TMO Member
 -

quote:

[ 17.03.2010, 09:46: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+