Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little bit. It’s really punishing for any little mistakes and damn hard to get to grips with but once you’ve got it nailed, every single corner is extremely rewarding. It’s almost impossible to use any powerful car with the keyboard though so you need a steering wheel and pedals to be anywhere near effective or competitive, otherwise you’ll just be wheelspinning and oversteering/understeering everywhere. The realism is absolutely outstanding.

I quite like the fact it’s not got real cars, in a way. Each car in the game has a specific purpose and completely unique handling properties. It’s all well and good have a Gran Turismoesque line-up of 700 odd cars but if half of the drive the same or are completely useless for most races, it’s pointless except for uber geeks (like me) who get a kick out of having obscure models in their garage. With Live for Speed it’s all about having the best driving abilities, not about having the most upgrades on your R34 GT-R or whatnot.

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got Lego Star Wars II for xbox seems like an excellent fun game, especially on two player. Really simple control system. Nice little puzzles, funny cut scenes and the star wars soundtrack.

Also got motogp 2 for xbox, hopefully will be pretty good online.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got Lego Star wars for the PSP on Friday - Top Fun, II finished the A New Hope section in story mode over the weekend..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
I got Lego Star wars for the PSP on Friday - Top Fun, II finished the A New Hope section in story mode over the weekend..

Where from Mate? I think I am going a bit overkill on Tiger Woods now, so need something new to challenge me.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Schiphol, I stopped off on the way home Friday.

It's only just out here, I think final release was only Wednesday/Thursday last week, so in theory Bart Smit should have it too now..

I paid 49 Euro, webshop price was 39 Euro at Bart Smit, but what the hell, I wanted a game to play while feeling crap again at the weekend... I just can't shift this flu bug...

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three options:

• DSLite + £40 Game Voucher
  • PSP
  • Xbox 360 Core

[Confused]

Also - does anyone have one of these:

-

[ 14.11.2006, 04:52: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Also - does anyone have one of these:

-

Think most people have them these days? They're pretty handy for arranging meeting up with your friends and stuff, and you can send someone a 'text message' which they'll get eventually even if they don't have their phone on them at the time. Reckon they'll catch on. I've got a Nokia one. It's OK.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
They're pretty handy for arranging meeting up with your friends and stuff, and you can send someone a 'text message' which they'll get eventually even if they don't have their phone on them at the time.

I think you're getting a bit mixed up here Thorn - it's a Walkman (for listening to music).
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Thorn, he used to be on the cutting edge
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh right. I've got one of those too. Had it for about fifteen years now. Still works. Hard to find tapes for it, though. Cost abotu £20. You should get that.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
I have a Sony Walkman phone Misc, not that one but one very similar... What do you want to know ?

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Three options:

• DSLite + £40 Game Voucher
  • PSP
  • Xbox 360 Core

Oooh - just found a fourth option:

• Wii

But as it's a free gift and there are sure to be shortages, I doubt they'd supply it for bloody ages. I'm not sure I could handle such a long wait for a Wii...

*groane*

MiscellaneousFiles

I just need some validation Darryn. I need you to say:

"Misc - those Sony Ericsson phones are really chuffing great and you should stop phaffing around writing inane posts about phones and games consoles and just bloody well go ahead and buy one. Everyone's bored of you."

I also need to know how the sound quality compares to that of an iPod and how ridiculous it would be to use it for the Interloper backing track. I'd have to hope nobody phoned me during the gig, or the handsfree would cut in and broadcast the conversation to the moshing crowd...

[Cool]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Sound can be a bit shitty, with the headphones supplied it was awful but a good pair of
Sennheisers sorted that out. Storage is fine, file transfer a little slow but simple and all round a decent phone/walkman combo.

If you did want to use it as a backing track you could as there is a úse as standalone walkman option available when you start the phone up.

[ 14.11.2006, 06:57: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

Thank you Darryn.
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got hold of an Xbox copy of Star Wars Lego II, so I no longer have to scrounge goes off my 5 year old nephew, and Canis Canem Edit (formerly Bully) for the PS2 yesterday.

Didn't play much of Bully, but what I did looks reasonably promising in a cut down GTA/Black Mask's school days sort of a way.

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the Star wars II lego thing - one question - what are the red floaty things that seem to lead to other places? How do you get through them?

--------------------

Waynster

I am liking this Star Wars II Lego game a lot - so far I just managed to unlock Han Solo and Chewie - its quite frustrating as some things are actually quite simple - getting into the Cantina bar I was flumoxed on, until I just thought to blast the damn anti-droid things and bingo, I'm in.

I still haven't worked out how to access these below grating studs, where you have the little floaty red things - I tried getting Ben to downward stab with the light sabre, but that didn't do any good, and its only blue twinkles you can use the force on - any ideas Darryn or anyone? Also Darryn we have to have a beer soon just so we can have a game of doubles (I think this is the first game we both have where we can use the wireless).

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Once you unlock more characters you can get to more levels of the stage you are playing, you need characters from other levels to complete the early levels... If you play the first level of A New Hope as Jedi in free play with the character set that unlocks you can open doors you couldn't open the first time you played it so you can get to what seem to be hidden sections on first play.

I've finished A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back and am now doing tem again in free play mode to unlock more secret levels..

Beer as soon as I can, I won't be about again this weekend though as I'm doing the whole Sint on a boat thing in Rotterdam with Beckett and then I have to go and pick Summer up..

2 player network option should be fun though..

--------------------

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To do stuff with the sparkly red things you need to be playing as one of the Sith. It denotes dark force powers.
Waynster

Thanks Ringo - but aren't the Sith only in 1, 2 and 3, or have I not learned enough about the Star Wars story to know who is who (I'm playing the original trilogy - having not seen 4,5 and 6 - although I did see some of 4 but fell asleep, I am not entirely suer who the Sith are)

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Thanks Ringo - but aren't the Sith only in 1, 2 and 3, or have I not learned enough about the Star Wars story to know who is who (I'm playing the original trilogy - having not seen 4,5 and 6 - although I did see some of 4 but fell asleep, I am not entirely suer who the Sith are)

The Sith in the Star Wars films are:

• Darth Maul
  • Darth Sidious
  • Darth Tyrannus
  • Darth Vader

However, the word Sith was only invented for the prequels.

Sorry - did you say you haven't seen episodes 4-6?

[Eek!]

MiscellaneousFiles

Also if you want to learn more about the expanded universe of Star Wars, you might find *this site interesting. It's all about Darth Vader's brother Chad who works as a Day Shift Manager at a grocery store.

-

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Wayne, other than the original 3 films in the game there are also mini games in the cantina where you fight Maul, Sidious and Vader so you can unlock the characters ready for free play..

It's through the door on the left of the cantina past the New Hope entrance..

Darth Maul is easy enough to beat, the others are harder..

You also unlock young Obi Wan and Qui Gone Gin (sp?) so you can use the force big stylee...

--------------------

Waynster

Sorry Misc I haven't seen 1, 2 and 3 - I heard they were shit. I am still fuming that the box set of the original 4,5 and 6 have been butchered by some wanker with CGI *

* This hatred may be related to the one week I entered something totally fabbo in a b3ta competition which even board king Darryn said might win, and instead it was beaten by some crappo 'non-cgi star wars' gag that look like it was done by Steven Hawking in MS Paint.

See - funny:

-

MS-Paint + Star wars = not funny.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I suspect a confusion in Waynster's original post regarding eps 4-6.

Get in there Misc.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

MiscellaneousFiles

Perhaps a woo or a yay might help to calm your hatred of Star Wars? If so:

• woo
  • yay

Boy Racer
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waynster you are right about 1-3, calling them shit would be generous, but you can now get the original Star Wars films in unadulterated non-CGI abomination form, though not in a boxed set as far as I know.

Bully continues to be good.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
you can now get the original Star Wars films in unadulterated non-CGI abomination form, though not in a boxed set as far as I know.

No - the untouched Original Trilogy films are only available as bonus discs when bought with individual ***Limited Edition DVDs of the CGI versions. Also they're not great quality, ripped as they are from an early 1990s Laserdisc version - and videophiles are complaining because they're *non-anamorphic, and stereo as opposed to surround.

[ 15.11.2006, 10:32: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Boy Racer
Oh dear. That sucks yet again.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

Yeah - you're probably better off waiting for the fully CGI remake (Star Wars 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) out next May on BluRay. It will only be available in a box set of all six films and will apparently retail for $399. A full commentary from Jake 'Lil Ani' Loyd and Ahmed 'Jar Jar' Best will be included and is compulsory for the first five viewings. Using wireless technology, the discs will 'call home' to Lucasfilm every time you insert them to download the latest updates, which must be installed before you can watch the films. The costs for these MoviePatches® will be charged to your Hyperspace Interactive™ card.

[ 15.11.2006, 11:14: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Cactus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Cactus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed 1 and 2 were abysmal but I believe episode 3 was fantastic. It was definitely on a par with New Hope and not far off Empire Strikes Back. (obviously it kicked ass of Return of the Jedi but everyone, even the most delusional trilogy fan knows that was a poor film).

I think episodes 6-9 could be interesting when Luke turns to the dark side, although I hope Lucas doesn't make them.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus:
I believe episode 3 was fantastic.

You mean apart from the hammy acting, laughable plot and utter predictability? I thought it was an utter pile of shit personally, possibly even worse than the other two. Hayden Christensen really is an unbelievably bad actor. Even General Grievous was distinctly underwhelming after the amount of hype there was about him.
Cactus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Cactus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
You mean apart from the hammy acting, laughable plot and utter predictability?

Surely exactly the same criticisms could be used of "A New Hope"?
MiscellaneousFiles

There won't be any Episodes 7-9 as Lucas' original plans for these films were incorporated into ESB and RotJ. However, the next couple of years will see two Star Wars TV programmes. *One will be fully CG, 3D animated (think Final Fantasy Advent Children) and set in the Clone Wars era. The *second will be live action, set between Revenge of the Sith (III) and A New Hope (IV), and is rumoured to run to over 100 episodes. Apparently it will focus on new characters who didn't appear in the films, however I'm sure some old favourites will put in an appearance. Rumour has it that the storyline will be centred around the early days of the rebellion and the Empire's hunt for any Jedi that survived the purge. Also, Lucas will not be as involved as he was with the films, so there is hope.

As this is a gaming thread, I should probably link you to *this concept footage of the forthcoming next generation Star Wars game which looks rather tasty.

Lots of love,
Misc
TMO's Lead Star Wars Correspondent since 2004.

[ 16.11.2006, 04:53: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+