Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 5)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus:
Surely exactly the same criticisms could be used of "A New Hope"?

Absolutely, my point was that ROTS is a load of toss, not that the other two were any good. Just to be clear, I thought all three were shit, although 1 did have Jar Jar Binks I suppose which pretty much makes it unsurpassable for pure shitness.

ETA - hang on, New Hope is what they're calling the original Star Wars now isn't it.. in which case yes it had some dubious acting, but in comparison to ROTS it was an acting masterclass imo.

[ 16.11.2006, 07:43: Message edited by: Physic ]

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For clarification:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (1999)
Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope (1977)
Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Star Wars Episode 6: Return of the Jedi (1983)

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus:
Surely exactly the same criticisms could be used of "A New Hope"?

Please don't wheel this argument out again. It's bollocks.

Clarification. No, fucking NO. How can you compare James Earl Jones' voiceover as Vader and Alec Guinness as Old Ben versus Hayden 'plank of emotion' Christensen and Ewan 'School m'aam' McGregor. So C3P0 was a bit campy huh? At least they blasted him into pieces in part 2 for crimes against heteromanity, but Jar Jar Binks even got to be in another film as long as the animators promised to CGI his mouth shut. God. Just ......don't even try.

[ 16.11.2006, 08:14: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Absolutely, my point was that ROTS is a load of toss, not that the other two were any good. Just to be clear, I thought all three were shit, although 1 did have Jar Jar Binks I suppose which pretty much makes it unsurpassable for pure shitness.

Sadly Binks is in Episodes II and III as well, albeit in a much reduced role, after complaints from fans.

quote:
ETA - hang on, New Hope is what they're calling the original Star Wars now isn't it.

It's been called Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope for the last 25 years. It was only the 1977 theatrical version that simply called it Star Wars. And I refuse to believe that you're old enough to remember that.

quote:
in which case yes it had some dubious acting, but in comparison to ROTS it was an acting masterclass imo.

IANAFC, but I thought Ewan McGregor (Obi Wan) and Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine) had some good moments in RotS. And Hayden Christensen was a fuck of a lot better in RotS that he was in AotC.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
I thought... Ewan McGregor.... good ....

[Mad] You are not far wrong, but I still stand by my mad faece for the 'Hello there..' line alone. Something I missed until you pointed it out.

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ep 1 - the only good bit, the doors open and Darth Maul is there - "we'll handle this" acts the oirish one.
Ep 2 - the only good bit, none of it.
Ep 3 - stupid terrible film
Ep 4 - Clunky and fun, Han the best thing (especially when he pats Chewy on the head like a dog for no good reason)
Ep 5 - the only one actually made with a real director and acting involved - Lando is quality, a non-NZ, non-talkative Bobba Fett and the Lizard thing, Darth Vader is pure evil in it.
Ep 6 - Like some spastic muppet show version of the first film, someone was taking the piss with this one. All pretense of 'acting' has vanished by this point, never to return.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
[Mad] You are not far wrong, but I still stand by my mad faece for the 'Hello there..' line alone. Something I missed until you pointed it out.

That's more down to Lucas' script though really. He was a little too intent on peppering the PT with OT references. Mindless philosophers, sorry fans, mistakenly praise this as "foreshadowing" but in reality it's nothing more than repetition.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
the Lizard thing

Bossk?

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, that thing was, to use the vernacular, having it.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's been called Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope for the last 25 years. It was only the 1977 theatrical version that simply called it Star Wars. And I refuse to believe that you're old enough to remember that.

The rolling text intro in the theatrical version also calls it Episode IV: A New Hope.

(and I saw it in the cinema on its original release - it was my elder bro's 10th b-day treat and I got to go as well otherwise I'd have had a screaming tantrum - in return I made him come and see Grease with me)

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
When originally released in 1977, the film was released simply as Star Wars, both on promotional material and during the opening crawl of the film itself. For this reason, this film, more often than its sequels, is often referred to as Star Wars, instead of by the Episode IV number or the subtitle A New Hope. In 1980, the sequel, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, was released with the episode number and subtitle in the opening crawl. In a re-released version a year later, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening crawl.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
quote:

The rolling text intro in the theatrical version also calls it Episode IV: A New Hope.

(and I saw it in the cinema on its original release - it was my elder bro's 10th b-day treat and I got to go as well otherwise I'd have had a screaming tantrum - in return I made him come and see Grease with me)

You Lie H1ppy - you didn't see the original print!

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Oh, OK. I can't remember ever having seen it without that title on the text scrawl so it must have been changed relatively quickly.

ETA what I mean is that I did see the original print but I was only little at the time and I've seen it so many times since that the memory of the original viewing is more of the event of going to the cinema (which was quite an unusual treat in those days) rather than of the film content.

[ 16.11.2006, 09:05: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

-
Bossk-eyed and having it, 1977

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Do you see, DO YOU SEE how failable the human memory is! How manipulable the mind is! Do you see?

God I'm bored...

ETA - almost as good as 'V'

[ 16.11.2006, 09:12: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

IG-88 could kick Bossk's scaly green ass.

-

New Way Of Decay

Imagine the size of the table those bounty hunters would require to have an arm wrestle. They could give Mr Tickle a run for his money, that's for sure.

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Zuckass was the worst one though, wasn't he? Him and the bloke with the towel around his head.

And as for IG-88 vs Bossk - Bossk hunted Wookies in his spare time, and Wookies are known to rip the arms out of people who beat them in shitchess (and probably robots too).

--------------------

Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
 -
Bossk-eyed and having it, 1977

I'm guessing it had been quite a long day in SFX and makeup when they finally said "that'll do" about this godforsaken costume.
Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
]Sadly Binks is in Episodes II and III as well, albeit in a much reduced role, after complaints from fans.

Fair point, he was unobtrusive in 2 and 3 though, whereas his appearance in 1 is pretty much a cinematic equivilant of Lucas turning round and defaecating on the audience.

quote:
Fair enough, it may say that on the scrolling text at the start, but until this most recent trio came out I'd never once seen it referred to as 'A New Hope', it was always just 'Star Wars'.

quote:
Hayden Christensen was a fuck of a lot better in RotS that he was in AotC.
Jesus dude, that's like saying that Graham Norton is less of a **** than Eamonn Holmes, at the end of the day they're both still *****. I'll give you McGregor and Diarmind though, grudgingly [Wink] .
MiscellaneousFiles

I read an EU book about IG-88 once. It was pretty cool if a little derivative. His creator decided the IG droids were too intelligent so he ordered their destruction, but 88 kicked his ass of course...

However I went off the EU when I read something about a post-RotJ "resurrected Emperor" and a clone of Luke Skywalker named "Luuke Skywalker" fgfs...

[Roll Eyes]

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
actually, re IG-88 vs Bossk, I've just read that something or other cemented "his position as the second-best bounty hunter in the galaxy (after Boba Fett)."

So there you go.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The internet was built for arguing about star wars.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Bobba Fett's dad is teh gay! etc

Data could totally whip IG-88's skinny ass!

[ 16.11.2006, 09:37: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
actually, re IG-88 vs Bossk, I've just read that something or other cemented "his position as the second-best bounty hunter in the galaxy (after Boba Fett)."

How exactly do they establish this? Is there some kind of official audit, like the Times Best 100 Companies to work for? How official is it? Is there a Tuesday in November where all the bounty hunters rush out to the newsagents to see how they placed?
Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking lol. (spacedollars)

[ 16.11.2006, 09:40: Message edited by: Dedalus ]

New Way Of Decay

Wasn't Jango Fett a Kiwi or a saffer or one of those other kind of genetic fruitloops?

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
It's probably more like a world standings in football system - if you win x amount of jobs then you move up the table. I'm a bit suspect of it all myself - I think Bobba Fett flatters to deceive, like Brazil, and suspect that IG-88 is more like a Mexico or someone - taking jobs in the Star Wars Universe equivalent of the CONCACAFederation

ETA - he was a KIWI, like most of the survivors of the Matrix AI scorched sky thing that now live and rave in caves

[ 16.11.2006, 09:41: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

I rekcon Jango could have kicked Boba's arse.

:controversialol:

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
yeah - but only at Jenga!

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
only at Scrabble.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

Scrabblol!!!!

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

Jango got killed by Samuel L. Motherfuckin' Jackson. Boba got killed by a blind man who was shouting his name.
New Way Of Decay

I don't think I ever mentioned this but my sister and her boo built a lifesized R2D2. She use to take it for walks around the park but said she stopped because she looked like a bit of a paedophile with a giant robotic bleeping bar of candy. That and they had a domestic and she karate chopped R2's head so hard it looked like a damaged ping pong ball. I think there are some photos online. Let me look.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

Please God...

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+