Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 61)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I played it anyway and I'm bloody glad I did. It's an absolutely incredible game. The kind of game you play for several hours and then realise you've been grinning the whole time.

Some of the user created levels aren't so great, but there are a few which a showing some of the potential of the game.

I'm hoping I can enjoy the proper online multiplayer experience at some point (cough cough misc)

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I gave LBP a couple of hours of my time last night and it's a pretty incredible 'gaming experience'.

After the introduction, numerous tutorials, and the first few offline levels, I downloaded the required update and ventured online to see what the user created levels were like. In one such level, a couple of scottish blokes joined - both of whom had headsets. As the level progressed, their chat went from pointing out the obvious, to discussing tactics, to chuckling at the Saturday Night Fever puppetry of my character when we got stuck, to proper cough-causing belly laughs at one point as we accidentally ended up swinging over a fire pit, alternately hanging from each others' feet, inches from a fiery death. I've played a fair few games online, but the feel of playing LBP is genuinely different.

Fry seems to be straying into self parody. I've never heard him sound more twee and 'lovely'. But I guess that's why he was hired for the job. It does fit with the game, and I have to say MM pull off cute a whole lot more successfully than Nintendo these days. It's also good to hear a British English voice in a game for a change.

Some of the user created levels are (perhaps understandably at this stage in the game's lifecycle) just testing the limits. Too many of them were nothing more than experiments in how fast you can go, how far you can fall, etc. These often don't have much too them, but as users get used to the tools and the possibilities we should see some more refined, detailed designs. There's a huge amount of potential. Building new levels could get seriously addictive.

(I'll happily play you online, Ringo, if I can figure out how to find you)

Ringo

add 'mazdachris' as a psn buddy and I think the rest is straight forward
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will do, buddy.
Ringo

Hey Misc, buddy. I couldn't help but notice that you've not added me as a friend yet. Are you having some kind of technical difficulty?
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Hey Misc, buddy. I couldn't help but notice that you've not added me as a friend yet. Are you having some kind of technical difficulty?

Sorry, buddy. I got a trifle sidetracked with Fallout 3 this weekend.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
same here. I've sunk over twenty hours into that game already.
MiscellaneousFiles

It's alright, isn't it?

Are you a boy or a girl?

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought LittleBigPlanet today and have tomorrow off, so that's my plans for the day sorted. [Smile]
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by missgolightly:
I bought LittleBigPlanet today and have tomorrow off, so that's my plans for the day sorted. [Smile]

Are you up for a three-way with me and Ringo sometime? If so, let us know your PSN name...

[Wink]

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what girl could resist such a tempting offer?!

I'm missgolightly3, though you need to promise you'll be gentle with me, I'm a bit new to this.

[Wink]

Ringo

yay!
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
If as I suspect, the demo only shows the basics of the game mechanic, then it's got the potential to be truly excellent. I think I'll rent it first as I haven't seen enough from the demo to justify spending £40.

I had a bash at the demo of this t'other day, and it is a lot of fun. Really good physics and you do feel like you have a lot of options of ways to go.

Where do you rent games from? It isn't something I'd considered before, but I think I might have to start.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
Where do you rent games from? It isn't something I'd considered before, but I think I might have to start.

Despite the name, *LoveFilm actually do games as well as films, and you can keep them for as long as you like. There are various subscription plans as well as PAYG options.

[ 12.11.2008, 10:18: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I might have to sign up for the "Light User" one. £3.99 a month, you can only have one at a time and a maximum of two a month, but that would be alright for games I'm not especially interested in.
MiscellaneousFiles

You need to make sure you're signing up for the 'films + games', as they do a separate 'films only' deal. They don't make it very clear on their site and the link on *this page (want to rent games) doesn't seem to do anything. I'm sure you can specify when you sign up for the trial.

They're good for Blu-rays as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Cherry, I have a a couple of Lovefilm starter promotions that may include games, so you'd get your first two months free if the shiny cards I have are anything to go by. You hook me on gmail blud and I'll mail you dem and ting.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the last time I offered you something it was a free ticket to the Beard Festival which you declined because you had a hangover so you need to demand these from me and sign up to Lovefilm even if you don't want to out of raw appreciation.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Ringo

I got myself Guitar Hero World Tour. Seems pretty good. Tracks aren't as good as Guitar Hero 3 though, and the difficulty is a bit inconsistent.

I've only got the guitar, not the drums so I don't know about the new bits. There are a few new guitar features though which I'm finding confusing.

Giving you a button to mash with your palm for star power seemed like a better idea (if a little less cool) than swinging the controller in the air, but because the Start button is right next to it, every now and then you go for star power and then hit pause which is irritating.

Also, for some reason it randomly drops notes. I don't know why. Like, even bits where you're not actually playing anything, it'll just plunk at you and ruin your streak. Annoying.

But mostly still very good.

Ringo

Hey Misc, MissGL is buying a headset so we can play LBP together. I've got one too. You should get one as well and then you can play too. That's assuming you still want to, I mean, you haven't actually added me as a friend still...
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
It's probably just a techincal problem. Something to do with servers. I'm sure he's hit the add button dozens of time in his excitement at being able to play with you but the technology is letting him down.

I seem to remember a similar techincal issue stopping Thorn from adding Dr Benway on the 360 for a long time.

MiscellaneousFiles

Yes, it's a technical problem alright.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll hopefully be picking up GH:WT next week when I get paid (assuming I get paid - never know what is going on at this place) - I may also pick up a copy of LBW and a headset as well as although I am not sure if I will like this, it does seem so damn cute not to have - plus a bit of the old online gaming seems like fun (especially if its playing cooperative games with Ringo as opposed to against him)

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Ringo

It's hard to imagine anyone not liking LBP.

I've made my own level! I need to iron out some issues and maybe beef up a couple of parts, but it is a level and I made it and I think people will enjoy playing it.

Not wang shaped though...

MiscellaneousFiles

I've perfected a couple of celebratory moves based on the following:

-

-

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Played through the first few hours of Gears of War 2. It comes off as a great deal Bigger than the first game, and already there's been a far wider variety of locations and gameplay styles. The graphics are superb, the gameplay tight and the sound is marvellous. Some of the dialogue is kind of crap and there hasn't been so much of that Predator-style goofy machismo that I loved in the first game. Feels like a really convincing development from the first game, which suprises me because I was expecting more of the same. That's not to say it's not basically the same gameplay, but the scenarios and set pieces feel like they've progressed from the first game, which relied on the then novelty of the cover system to dazzle and delight.
MiscellaneousFiles

Friend of mine said GoW2 was just more of the same. Same characters, same weapons, same everything. Finished it in one session and took it back for a refund, apparently. But then he's not exactly the sharpest chisel on the toolbelt...
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's more or less the same. You're moving from cover to cover shooting at aliens, but I think that was to be expected. It feels more like a full blown sequel than Rainbow Six Vegas 2 did, for example. Given that Gears has such a focussed gameplay mechanic - use cover and shoot - I suppose there's a limit to how much you can develop it without losing sight of the very thing that defines the game. Complaining that the main characters are the same is a bit of a suprise - you'd expect and welcome some continuity between games.
Thorn Davis

Also, given that the first game kicked fucking ass complaining about 'more of the same' seems a bit redundant.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I didn't really like the first one.

It was fun with two people, but as a single player experience I thought it was pretty awful.

Thorn Davis

No it was good.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I don't think it was.
Thorn Davis

What about the stuff with the man running round hiding behind walls and shooting at things? You didn't like that bit?
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Also, given that the first game kicked fucking ass complaining about 'more of the same' seems a bit redundant.

But only six hours more of the same, for £40?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I think the parts I enjoyed the least from the first game was the man running around and shooting aliens from behind a wall.

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+