Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » What are people playing at the moment? (Page 64)

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...  124  125  126 

Author Topic: What are people playing at the moment?
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that was fun. I just spent 2 hours trapsing around Amsterdam and for the love of God all I could find was a retro USB headset - nowhere had the Bluetooth ones - anyway I hope this works with LBP and I'll see you Sunday hopefully - however I have to go to dinner at 5 so can only play for an hour unless someone wants to play earlier?

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
however I have to go to dinner at 5 so can only play for an hour unless someone wants to play earlier?

URage12&ICM£5
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would mean that if he does his homework, washes the dishes, and finally puts his bike in the garage rather than leaving it lying on the path, he might get another hour before bed time.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I bagged the headphones but what are you supposed to do to make the voice function work? I can't see no option to enable voice communication

--------------------

Waynster

quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
Ok I bagged the headphones but what are you supposed to do to make the voice function work? I can't see no option to enable voice communication

Forgot to mention, the PS3 recognises it - had great fun with the voice changer but that's as far as I got it to work

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be getting LBP for during my Christmas holiday..

Wayne, I think if you buy the PS3 camera you can use the mic in that to use the chat functions, might be easier than a USB headset.

Plus you can add pictutes from the camera.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Waynster

Cheers for that mate - just noticed that my sackboy's mouth moves when I speak so I think the mic is working - I guess I just need to go up against someone with a headset to see it work properly

--------------------

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait to see what excellent creations Darryn et al come up with on LBP [Smile]

Waynster it sounds like your mic is working then. I'm looking forward to playing!

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll hopefully be around for a bit of lbp this afternoon too, so give me a nudge on msn if you don't see me sign in on the game. [Smile]
Waynster

I guess with the time difference and another appointment sadly I won't be able to make the session this afternoon as I have to shoot out in a few minutes - would have been nice (as well as to test the microphone) but I'll have to catch you another time.

Have fun!

--------------------

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ringo - thanks for last night... [Wink]

Have been thinking about your level - the only thing you'd need to change would be to maybe add an easy/last resort way of getting to the top of the tower, so have a balloon or bird to the right of it, hidden maybe, so you only see it if you're stuck down there?

Apart from that, great work and the skateboard thing still makes me laugh!

Ringo

I did spend ages crafting a really goo alternative way up. I basically put a platform around the bottom of the tower which you'd land on if you fell from above but was too high to jump up to without going across the clouds, then added a swinging parts and a few more platformy bits so you could find your way back up. But you saw the tower is made from individual blocks all stuck together? Well I was just tweaking a bit and I don't know quite what I did but it decided to unstick all the blocks and the whole thing collapsed into a massive heap of hilarious failure from which I was unable to recover.

I've got nothing to do tonight so I might fire it up and have another go. I'm tempted to redo that whole part, or maybe just start another one instead

missgolightly

Don't redo the whole thing, I want to see the rest of it, but another way up the tower would be good. [Smile]
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope to be on LBP from about 6:30pm this evening!
Ringo

Hm we're not awfully organised are we
Waynster

Woo. If I can abstain from the pub (which I really oughta if I'm coming to England tomorrow) I should be around and could be up for some LBP

--------------------

Ringo

Good stuff. Let's hope we can do better than that ridiculous Queer Jew debacle...
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night on LBP, I made a giant beach ball with doll legs all over it. It was pretty sexy.

Sadly I won't be playing LBP tonight. I'm working through Fallout 3 with Kellifer and if I don't get some quality gaming hours in tonight, the shit'll really hit the fan.

[Frown]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
I finished the main storyline of Fallout 3 last night. Great, immense game up until the last couple of hours. I suppose it's hard to finish a game with such an epic scope and setting, but it did feel like things happened quite fast, and that plots and characters were finished before they reached their natural conclusion.

Octavia and I have been playing Fallout 3 loads over Christmas. She's logged about 35 hours, I've done about 28. It's quite fascinating watching someone else play missions in a totally different way to you and get a different result, but I'm getting quite anxious at the possbility of it ending. I just did the Tranquility Lane quest last night and it was one of the most bizarre and original and creepy things I've ever seen in a computer game.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm absolutely loving Fallout 3 at the moment. I sit down intending to play it for an hour or so, and 4 hours passes.

Have you been to the village with the locked shed and locked basement and the happy villagers? (I can't remember the name of it)

Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm playing Fallout 3, still very much at the early stages. I can concur it does feel like a very big game. The control system appears quite complicated at first - at least to me, coming out of a few months of playing GOW2. Having to check on some internet walkthroughs to get a clue about what to do, which has helped. looking forward to slowly progressing through the various missions and building up my character. My bro is playing it too and has already chosen a different route to me. (he grassed up the guy in megaton who tried to get him to blow up the bomb. I diffused the bomb - he didn't).

It's the first time I have played a game like this on xbox, enjoying it.

Also, I've got saints row 2 which makes a nice contrast with fallout.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:

Have you been to the village with the locked shed and locked basement and the happy villagers? (I can't remember the name of it)

That's Tranquility Lane, isn't it? The computer simulation? Otherwise I'm not sure where else has happy villagers.

[ 05.01.2009, 05:43: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
That's Tranquility Lane, isn't it? The computer simulation? Otherwise I'm not sure where else has happy villagers.

No, I've not got to that stage yet. It's a tiny village with like 3 houses and a barn. It's an amazing set piece, but completely irrelevant to the main story or any quests, just really cool.

Just had a google and the village is called Andale. Brilliant place.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:
Also, I've got saints row 2 which makes a nice contrast with fallout.

I actually traded Saints row 2 in to get this game, so it ended up only costing me a fiver, and considering I got SR2 for free, that means that both those games together have only cost me a fiver which is ridiculously good value.
Thorn Davis

quote:
No, I've not got to that stage yet. It's a tiny village with like 3 houses and a barn. It's an amazing set piece, but completely irrelevant to the main story or any quests, just really cool.

Just had a google and the village is called Andale. Brilliant place.

Ah ok. I got confused because Tranquility Lane is in the basement of a shed. I'll keep an eye out for Andale. Any idea where it is on the map?

One of my other favourite set pieces has been at Paradise Falls or whatever it's called, the way deciding against doing a certain quest led to another one coming up and the sense that a really exciting battle had sprung up from my own decision not to play along. It's the kind of moment these types of games are made for.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
It's at the south of the map, just a little bit west of the Nuka-Cola plant (And a little north).

If you take the road north from Nuka-Cola plant and head west at the crossroads, you will follow a road right up to it.

(I'm not memory man or anything, I googled for a fallout 3 map which is here if you happen to want to look precisely)

Ringo

Hey, I'm thinking of building a new gaming PC, after falling behind for so many years. I haven't even played Half-Life 2 yet, because my PC is so shit.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Get this. It has the bonus of not only having Half Life 2 but also Portal which is pretty much the best game ever made.
Ringo

Yeah but apparently it doesn't run so good on the PS3 and to be honest I've always preferred a mouse and keyboard for FPS anyway.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Man. That's some shoddy development to launch a console game that doesn't run properly.

I'm surprised at people still preferring a mouse/keyboard combination. Although the mouse is good for aiming obviously, you can get very good with the right stick very quickly, and using the left stick for movement is much much better than keyboard as you can easily alter between crawl and sprint which is less easy on keyboard.

Thorn Davis

I don't think I'm ever going to go back to PC gaming. I got so annoyed and frustrated with the whole stupid fucking process of upgrading, fiddling with settings, choosing drivers and so on that I could never go back to it. Urgh. That thing where the frame rate drops for a few seconds and you find yourself in the settings wondering what you can live with downgrading in order to get it to run a bit smoother. Bleurgh. And now... now you can never be ahead of the curve. This habit developers have gotten into of releasing games and then bragging that the technology to play the properly doesn't even exist on the market yet. Fucking brilliant. If in a year's time you buy an absolutely top end gaming rig, you'll be able to play two year old GTA4 on the highest settings, but your brand new machine will be running the latest games on medium. Oh wait, and here comes a new operating system, which is required by some games, and here's a new game coming out next year that's going to raise the bar even higher...

[ 05.01.2009, 09:17: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Thorn Davis

quote:
I'm surprised at people still preferring a mouse/keyboard combination. Although the mouse is good for aiming obviously, you can get very good with the right stick very quickly, and using the left stick for movement is much much better than keyboard as you can easily alter between crawl and sprint which is less easy on keyboard.

Yeah, I find the controller 'disappears' much faster with a dedicated game controller. I always found myself hunting through the keyboard trying to remember what 'lean' or 'jump' or 'throw grenade', or 'use' or 'flashlight' or 'sprint' was mapped to, whereas it becomes intuitive really quickly on a pad whose sole purpose is to make these things easy.
Ringo

all valid points, but I just like PC gaming. I find the experience of playing an FPS on a PC is more immersive. Maybe it's because I'm moving my arm in a way which vaguely corresponds with the action on the screen, or maybe it's just because of how close you sit to the screen. Who knows. But I think there's something about the experience of playing on a PC which you don't quite get from a console.

Plus there are some PC games I have which aren't available for consoles, things like Live for Speed and rFactor, which don't run so well on my 'rig'. A decent PC, with a Logitech G25 and LFS is my idea of heaven.

I also get a certain amount of geeky satisfaction from speccing up and building a new PC. Anyone can go out and buy a games console, but I feel like some of my knowledge goes into maximising the amount of performance I can get for my budget and I end up with something which is better for it. Plus I'm an old school modder/overclocker, and I love tweaking things to get miniscule performance gains.

Thorn Davis

For me that just led to a sense that I was never really getting it right.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
managed to rack up 800 points on fallout now. Spent ages wandering around checking out just about every location on the map. Nuka Cola challenge and Vault-tec CEO are the only things that I've got left. And I don't think I can be assed with the CEO achievement.

I got half way GOW 2 before my playing partner (thorn) vanished off the internet, so I still haven't finished that one. Been putting in a lot of hours with Far Cry 2, which is alright, but frustrating at times, and kind of repetitive. Drive to a place, shoot some dudes, drive back. I mean, I know that GTA IV had pretty much the same thing, but in Far Cry 2, there's little else going on, apart from the much trumpeted fire effects. I don't know. For the first 10 hours or so, I guess it feels pretty authentic to be driving round the savannah in a jeep, occasionally sniping dudes. After that... bit of a chore. Huge amount of side missions as well, and they're all the same. Plus, it doesn't ever auto save, but you're always being asked if you want to save, so you end up gambling with saves, holding out just to keep the game flowing, right up until you get accidentally killed and lose 30 mins of gameplay.

Left4dead is starting to come down in price now. Once I find it online for under £20, I'll get it. Supposed to be an incredible experience. Same with Dead Space. And Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

[ 05.01.2009, 12:41: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 126 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...  124  125  126 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+