Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Games » Good week for football (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Good week for football
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't talking about Chelseas's season as a whole- the fact that they and Man U finished so far ahead speaks for itself.

I was specifically comparing the entertainment spectacles of the two big games we've had this week. Neither were brilliant, but that FA Cup Final will sadly be remembered for being a soporific, turgid affair, rescued by one good goal that was completely different class from the rest of the action. Reciting the actual stats from the breakdown of the game is not how footballing memories are created. I think you'd struggle to find a neutral who watched both and was more stimulated by Saturday's match.

I was talking with my mates last night about great games they'd watched as neutrals- I think Germany vs Italy in last year's World Cup would probably be my favourite for spectator value.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:

I was specifically comparing the entertainment spectacles of the two big games we've had this week. Neither were brilliant, but that FA Cup Final will sadly be remembered for being a soporific, turgid affair, rescued by one good goal that was completely different class from the rest of the action.

Yep, can't argue that, the only final worth watching lately was the UEFA Cup final, which was absorbing as the the other two were disappointing.

quote:

I was talking with my mates last night about great games they'd watched as neutrals- I think Germany vs Italy in last year's World Cup would probably be my favourite for spectator value.

Mexico vs Argentina is the one that sticks in my mind the most, I was over a mate's place at a party and it ended up with half of us sitting on the couch watching the match because it was such a good game.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done to Derby, by the way, doc d - my secret shame as a Forest fan was that for years my favourite player was Darryl Powell - the man was a legend.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to like Paul Draker from Queens Park Rangers. When he played, the world seemed like a better place. The way he'd twist and turn around the other men, tease the ball through the tightest spaces, and manage to sail it at unbelievable angles into the loving embrace of the net. Man, QPR 92-93 was the best ever. We used to go and watch it all the time. Runny noses, cheap synthetic fiber scarves, but all of our little red faces would light up when "the Draker Maker" got the ball and kicked it past people. It was like a sweet, tiny ballad of impossible subtlety. Nothing complex about the way he moved at all, but he seemed so co-ordinated it was like he was on ice and the other players were sinking in quicksand. It was such a shame when he was transferred out of the country. My old dad paid loads to take the whole family down to Portsmouth to watch his last match of the season. After the final whistle, when the last of the notes had been played, I crept away from the old fogies to the toilets, locked myself in the cubicle and stripped naked, before dramatically wanking myself off to a glorious chorus of urine against porcelain. It was my way of saying thanks to good old Draker for all the amazing matches of football he'd given us.
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Well done to Derby, by the way, doc d - my secret shame as a Forest fan was that for years my favourite player was Darryl Powell - the man was a legend.

dpfg.

i liked his commitment, but he was just a poor man's carlton palmer. who didn't smoke marijuana.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
his performance on Soccer AM was legendary - it included him saying when asked if he agreed if that West Ham big nose guy who went to Thai Land to play (can't remember anyone's names today) was or wasn't a Lege (as in Legend) 'Oh yeah he was a Lege - litrally, they used to put the trophies on him' and when told that he was taking part in some contest later on in the show exclaiming in mock supirse 'Am I?!' and mugging into the camera. The presenter was bamboozled and DP won! Yeah! Go DP! He also played for Forest for a week, and played for San Jose Earthquakes or someone long before Beckham...

--------------------

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahaha.

Leeds may not start next season.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And only just over a month until I'm up at the City ground for the season opener which should be fun.
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i get the feeling fergies fantasy football team won't do so well this season.

more to the point, what the fuck are we going to do to stay up?

i'm not suggesting splashing the cash but we were a limited workmanlike team in the 1st. no embarrassments please.

like citeh stuffing us.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
quote:
Originally posted by doc d:
he was just a poor man's carlton palmer

Surely Carlton Palmer was a poor man's Carlton Palmer?

And lol at Leeds, I can't believe Bates almost got away with such blatant dodgy dealing..

Agree about Man Utd too, I'm surprised they're going for Tevez when as far as I can see what they really need is a 20 goals a season out and out poacher to provide more of a focal point, I mean Tevez essentially plays the same role as Rooney, just outside the box off of a main striker..

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Man U's policy seems to have always been to get in a bundle of youngsters and see what sticks - the odd big purchase aside (veron a good example of this).

I think they'll do okay, but Chelsea will have a great season based on the holes that they are filling in - Arsenal, not so great, Liverpool about the same.

So, Man U will need a goal keeper and a right back, but the Anderson and Nani purchases will probably keep Ronaldo there for another year at least - I think they'll be a strong 2nd placed team.

Forest have signed players and I can barely care - I read the website comments a while ago, and felt so removed from all the 'sheep shaggers' comments and bluff and nonsense - Forest = a team with a reputation of playing good football, made up of 11 people pretty much unable to do anything but put on weight and hoof the ball. I look forward to seeing Lennon play, but that's it.

--------------------

Physic
Digital PIMP !
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Man U's policy seems to have always been to get in a bundle of youngsters and see what sticks - the odd big purchase aside (veron a good example of this).

True, although the 2 youngsters, Nani and Anderson, are thought to have cost a combined potential fee in the region of £30m, although whether many of these deals ever reach the full 'subject to appearances/success, etc' amount I'm not sure. Noone quite seems to know how the Tevez deal will work, when West ham hold his registration, but he's technically still owned by MSI, all very odd.

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+