Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Nine years after (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Nine years after
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Date: Friday, May 7, 1999
Time: 7:00pm

I stopped by for a quick drink with a few co-workers. I was moving house the following morning and I still had a good bit of packing to do, so I only had time for one. It was an ice-cold Yeungling Lager, my beer of choice. I remember when I got up to leave, my friend Alan saying awww come on ralphy boy...you've got time for one more. Normally that would have been enough -- a simple excuse to park my arse on the barstool and drink until closing time, then stumble home and pass out. But for reasons beyond my comprehension, that night, I said no. And I've not had a drink since.

So tell me about your last drink. Or what you were doing on May 7, 1999. Or what color pants you're wearing. Share with me people, and gain strength from the sharing.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday three of us were sat outside the Star and Sailor drinking wine in the sun. Three bottles polished off in about 90 minutes. Lovely stuff.

Then home to have two cans of Kronenbourg and then a glass of port after dinner. Beautiful stuff.

I fully recommend having a drink ralph. It's good for you.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course congraulations/commiserations depending on your viewpoint for having gone so long without a drink.
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
congraulations/commiserations

I'd say it's about 50/50.

Your wine outing yesterday sounds positively lovely.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited my parents for dinner last night. Pater and I got through a good few bottles of Kronenbourg, and indulged in a post meal glass or two of Plum Vodka. On the whole, I find alcohol hugely overrated.

After a few drinks he told us that he'd recently had a dream in which the local vicar was felated by the entire congregation, one after the other, during communion. Then he chucked another bible on the fire and started talking about getting unconfirmed.

This probably sounds as if I'm making it up...

[Frown]

[ 06.05.2008, 09:59: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday four of sat in a garden and got through three bottles of champagne/cava, three bottles of white wine, some Magners, and gin and tonic. It ruled. Though I'm caning the zantac today...
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a pint of bitter shandy yesterday. I was fine for about five minutes then vomited and tried to start a fight with a 6 year old. Have I got a problem Rafe?
ralph

No McDirts. You don't have a problem. You only had the one pint. [Cool]

eta: Not a drinking problem anyway.

[ 06.05.2008, 10:22: Message edited by: ralph ]

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow misc, your dad sounds great!

I'm ill at the moment, so haven't drunk anything for a couple of days, so my last drink was about 1am or so on saturday night, well techically sunday morning I guess. I was round some friends' house for dinner and between six of us we got through lots of food and lots and lots of wine then I moved onto limoncello and I kept saying "I shouldn't have anymore limoncello or I'll fall asleep" and then, true to my word, I fell asleep.

I have no clue what I was doing on May 7, 1999, but I was at uni in Glasgow, so more than likely sleeping late, few lectures, few pints somewhere like nice'n'sleazys.

Pants - black.

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got this vague theory that, Grappa aside, the Italians make the gayest liquors in the world (Frangellico, Galliano, Amoretto, Limoncello) revolting, sticky, over sweet concoctions.
It kind of makes sense when you think that they don't really like drinking, in the same way that People who don't really like the taste of booze will drink things like Baileys or Malibu and Pineapple.

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bit of a marathon on sunday, where I started at 1pm, very civilized on the staropramen at the Vibe bar in brick lane, and ended up wasted at mine, 4 am, hammering down jack daniels and 'boost' energy drink. Needless to say, yesterday wasn't as much fun as it could have been.

[ 06.05.2008, 10:37: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last night. was my last drink. about 9.40 pm with the second episode of the wire season 5. after trout and asparagus followed by summer pudding.
can of red stripe.

chilled.

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by doc d:
was my last drink.

last drink of the night or last drink ever?

[ 06.05.2008, 11:02: Message edited by: ralph ]

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think we all know the answer to that one.
ralph

yeah
Samuelnorton
"that nazi guy"
 - posted      Profile for Samuelnorton           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last drink was a bottle of Svyturys Ekstra, which was part reward for shifting a shitload of boxes to our new house. Freshly chilled from our new 2.2m tall fridge freezer. Boy it was good.

On May 7th 1999 I was in Zürich working for the Neue Zürcher Zeitung. Looking at it now, their website hasn't changed that much. I heart Switzerland.

[ 06.05.2008, 11:22: Message edited by: Samuelnorton ]

--------------------
"You ate the baby Jesus and his mother Mary!"
"I thought they were animal cookies..."

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what was i doing on may 7th 1999? really fucking hurting after my 24th birthday, ill warrant.

my last drink was a triple shot of stolichnaya, sometime after 2am on christmas morning 2005. shortly after i did my last Massive Drunken Spew. then i crawled onto a sofa and thought 'this is so totally bullshit, im bored of this'. i say i havent done a massive spew since, but i do remember having to eat parsnips for my xmas dinner and a little bit of sick coming up. other than that, no spewing. yAy AbStInEnCe!

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. May 7 1999, I was working on a one year contract in a New York technology research center, which I took because the hours of a radio news reporter had finally caught up to me. Enjoying my desk job, my 9-to-5 hours, and my quirky renovated-barn bachelor apartment (shared with two roommates).

My most recent drink? A glass and a half of red wine last night. I typically have a few drinks over the course of the average week (wine, beer), though I expect my consumption will increase for the near term as rooster's parents are staying with us for a few weeks. It's not that I have to drink to cope, or anything like that, it's that I have to try to keep up.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was probably revising for mock GCSE's in year 10 and writing incredibly bad poetry.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In May of 1999 I was living in Texas, probably taking a neuroscience final or preparing for one. Maybe even studying the mechanism of action of alcohol on the brain.

Congrats on your sober period ralph!

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rooster:
In May of 1999 I was living in Texas, studying the mechanism of action of alcohol on Ralph's brain.

[Eek!]

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1999 I was living in Wetherill Road, N10 with Kellifer and struggling to turn my degree around.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was living in Spain with a hangover, I suspect.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May '99 I was getting way wasted in Essex, going nuts, dealing hash. Doing the radio show. Beginning my relationship with Christina (who is now married, as of a fortnight or so ago).

[ 07.05.2008, 06:53: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
In 1999 I was living in Wetherill Road, N10 with Kellifer and struggling to turn my degree around.

You've been with her for 10 years and still not married her? I don't know if I should congratulate you or smack you upside your head.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't really remember. I'd just moved into my flat, just started a new job in Docklands, when it was more shit than it is now, and I'd imagine I was involved in some kind of disastrous relationship. I was also a stone-and-a-half lighter, and only earning a few grand less than I am now.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
You've been with her for 10 years and still not married her? I don't know if I should congratulate you or smack you upside your head.

Eleven actually. We got engaged ages ago, but haven't got married yet because we're waiting until you can come over to the UK, ralph.

FaeceBuk keeps telling me that my friends/exes have all got engaged/married/pregnund recently. I'm going to turn thirty next month.

[Embarrassed]

ralph

Jesus. She must have the patience of a saint. Or she's not really that interested, and just biding her time until something better comes along...
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I've been with my girlfriend for 8 1/2 years now and we're not even engaged. What do you think of that then ralph?
ralph

I think that's a bit weird. But I'm not judging you.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been married and divorced twice, ralph, and I'm only 36.

How does that grab you.

ralph

I've been married twice too, mart. But only the one divorce (so far). Nice try though.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
I think that's a bit weird. But I'm not judging you.

But I'm a "devout" atheist and you don't get any tax breaks for getting married so the only reason for getting married is when we have children. Stupidly enough a father doesn't have the right to give permission for operations and things like that on a child if they're not married so we'll get married when we have are having kids.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people don't need the legally binding thrall of marriage like yourself ralph. In a sense, they rely on the understanding that it is pleasurable, not a duty to stay together. You know, like when they hammer a peg into the ground to keep the elephants from taking off.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
But I'm a "devout" atheist and you don't get any tax breaks for getting married so the only reason for getting married is when we have children. Stupidly enough a father doesn't have the right to give permission for operations and things like that on a child if they're not married so we'll get married when we have are having kids.

I'm a devout athiest as well. But it worked out that we *do* get a break on our taxes by being married. I didn't actually get married the second time until we had already had two kids.

So when are you planning on having kids? [Razz]

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+