Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » If you can't get your leg over then... (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: If you can't get your leg over then...
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said 'lol' in a conversation about six months ago. It was awful. My friend just went completely silent, put down his burger, looked me in the eye and said. "Jesus Christ... don't ever do that again."

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I say 'lol' all the time. It's ironic, or something. But it's also an acknowledgement of the way that the boundaries between the on and offline worlds have pretty much dissolved now. Are you friends not internet users or something? That kind of reaction seems a bit... backward.
Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'd explained it in terms that I was being ironic or that it was a witty sideswipe at the diminishing boundaries between real life and online, he probably wouldn't have said anything. Just reached across, grabbed my hair and then repeatedly smashed my skull into the table until one or the other cracked in half. And, frankly, he would be right to do it.

--------------------

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realise SG5 was the violent type.
Nathan Bleak
It wasn't SG5, it was a real person.

--------------------

mart
laugh out loud
mart
When I first started on the internet, I thought lol meant lots of love, and everyone was just being really nice to everyone else, in a cloyingly cutesy way.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aww
London

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
If I'd explained it in terms that I was being ironic or that it was a witty sideswipe at the diminishing boundaries between real life and online, he probably wouldn't have said anything. Just reached across, grabbed my hair and then repeatedly smashed my skull into the table until one or the other cracked in half. And, frankly, he would be right to do it.

That's ridiculous. Your friends are thugs.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SG5 isn't a thug! You take that back!
Nathan Bleak
She's just bitter that I never introduced her to them. Like I was ashamed, or something.

--------------------

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you? Ashamed?
Nathan Bleak
No, matter what society says about it, I was never ashamed. It's just sometimes... the intensity of something... I just assumed they wouldn't be able to understand.

--------------------

Lickapaw#2
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Lickapaw#2           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
When I first started on the internet, I thought lol meant lots of love, and everyone was just being really nice to everyone else, in a cloyingly cutesy way.

Actually, I thought that too. One day I asked a casual aquaintance why they kept on showering me with slightly embarrassing declarations of love and they explained to me. I felt far less nauseated with the expression after that.

Me mum writes LOL as a sign-off to every email she writes, because she used to think it was lots of love. I explained what it really meant.

She still does it.

[ 18.10.2007, 08:43: Message edited by: Lickapaw#2 ]

--------------------
Black Mask: Have a good weekend, TMO!

Ringo: Don't tell me what to do.

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes the very words "online" and "internet" just make me... gahh. like I've heard them enough in the last ten years to last the rest of my life.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Keef
That, was liquid chate
 - posted      Profile for Keef           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother asked me on msn the other day what ffs meant. I LOL'd at him and then said "You're going to ask me what the fuck WTF means next, aren't you?". He just replied with "eh?". I gave up at that point.

quote:
Originally posted by London:
That's a cute joke! Are there any more? I love jokes except for the snailtrails one.

Q. How do you titillate an ocelot?
A. You oscillate it's tit a lot.

Eyethankyou. I'm here all week, try the fish...

[ 18.10.2007, 19:12: Message edited by: Keef ]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think NSFW is the coolest of all acronyms. That 98% of everyone understands it can interpret it for themselves just proves... something rambling... mutter... chained to our desks... who decides what we look at and think etc etc. But it's good and still the album title I'd choose if I had any friends who could play instruments in a straight line long enough to make a record. A record rude enough to be not safe for work as well would be fairly important. Has anyone made a record which is not safe for work? See, there's a gap in the market there too.
London

There are loads! Like Necro or 2 Live Crew. Anything rude is generally NSFW, right?
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, work is a very prudish kind of place isn't it. There must be sensitive people around who see horrible violence on the telly and adverts for beer, and young people wearing hoods on every street corner and then they get to work and it's just so nice to be in a safe place where no one swears or shows nude bits and the only music you hear is Lemon Jelly songs about ducks and that. No wonder retired people get so stressed out all the time, not having that refuge from disgusting things.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good old necro.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of my work is NSFW.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people say 'c**t' a lot when I'm at work...not at me, just around me.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+