Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Like London buses.....

Author Topic: Like London buses.....
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life is strange at times, and its throwing me another curve ball which I hope maybe some of you can offer some advice.

I've been unemployed for three and a half months now and the wolves are at the door. The idea of following my rock and roll dreams was pissed on royally by a supposed friend in the industry who on the eve of going on tour got drunk and physically assaulted me - I guess I should be grateful in a way as at least it has made me grow up a little and realise a few things.

Anyway I started actively searching for a new job, but the problem is the kit I work with, whilst leading edge in many ways is seen by too many people as legacy kit - people wanting to hire you on the proviso that you will be cross trained to something after they phase out the hardware or outsource it to India - making me basically redundant. Job seeking, as you can therefore imagine, has been bloody hard work.

Then finally a few days ago, a shed of light - a global manufacturer of camera equipment and printers called Canon, of whom you may have heard, with its european base nearby interviewed me and all went well - immediate feedback from the agency was an offer was coming and to hold tight. Wonderful.

And so I wait. And I wait. Every day another call - it will be tomorrow, then the day after and so on. Not very encouraging.

Then tuesday night I get a call out of the blue for a job I was knocked back for being overqualified a few weeks back - it seems another role came up and I'm perfect for it so an interview is hastily arranged and yesterday I head down there. Half hour interview and bang! The IT guy tells me he wants me on board ASAP - just have to arrange the HR and a meeting with the director, and I'm in. Seems that this is my perfect job as well - small company, based in a beautiful 17th century building on a canal in the Amsterdam centre. Really friendly people, succesful trade bank, importantly a commitment to invest in the kit I work with, and as a bonus, lots of russian girls with pert bottoms to work with. Shallow I know but could be a deal maker for a hetrosexual single male like myself.

So I get back from the interview, and then the other agency call and Canon have finally come good with an offer and want an answer. In 24 hours. After they make me wait a week and a half.

Trouble is this other job I get a gut feeling is the job I've been looking for all my life, and they are eager to get me in, but I can't see the director until tomorrow, yet Canon want an answer tonight.

So what the hell do I do? The job I want is not 100% definate, though my manager to possibly be wants me on board - HR could still put a spanner in the works there. The job at Canon is a solid on -paper offer, but I would end up working for a company where I would be just a number again, which is something I despise. So do I kick Canon back and hope for the bank job, or do I just submit and take the job at Canon?

Your advice, as always, is gratefully received.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there no way you can go back to Canon and ask them to extend you slightly more time to consider their offer? It seems slightly unfair for them to keep you hanging for ages then expect an instant turnaround.

If you don't think it would be counter-productive, you could add that you're actively considering another offer from an alternative employer that you've interviewed for in the intervening period, and you'd like the time to fully consider both options. You can spin this from the view that as a result, they can be assured that if you take their job you are completely committed to it (or some such bollocks) and won't up and leave after a short while.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You accept Canons offer and wait until tomorrow. Companies do that shit to people all the time. Fuck em off at a minutes notice if you change your mind. It's not like they want you to sign anything in blood is it? It's not going to affect your career if you change your mind after 1 week. Most companies will give you a three month probation. You should consider giving them the same. Empower yourself.

Sorry your 'mate' assaulted you. [Frown]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what Mikey said. Accept Canon's offer. Also sorry you got assaulted. [Frown]
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ta for the advice. I've had it confirmed that tomorrow I am meeting the director of the firm for an informal chat - he likes to meet all his prospective employees and I have been told, if he likes me, the deal is done - HR is just a formality for getting the paperwork done, and that will happen next tuesday.

I've put together an email for the other agency basically saying that Canon must allow me more time to consider my options before giving an answer. If they don't like it then I'll turn them down - I basically think its the agency applying the pressure, and not Canon, so a bit of reverse pressure won't go amiss (remember I used to be a recruitment consultant so I know how they work)

Thanks again for teh advice

--------------------

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the job with the hot russian ladies and then let me know if they have any vacancies for a data warehousing bod [Wink]

Sorry to hear about the other shizz, if you're about tonight we should Skype and catch up, not spoken to you lately..

My Name Is Joe
That's Mister Minge to you..
 - posted      Profile for My Name Is Joe           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what happens if Canon say ok, we'll pass, and then the director hates you? You should play it safe and accept Canon and then if the othe rjob comes through tell them something came up. To be honest I don't even know why you're debating it, seems like a no-brainer to me. But I have no integrity.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say yes to Canon. Don't burn that bridge until you know you have definitely been offered both jobs. Then you make the decision. If it's Canon - groovy. If it's not, you contact them again and make an apology. You say you have been offered another, much-better-paid job, so you hope they'll understand, etc. etc. But don't admit you did anything wrong or underhand. It's your future. Your career. They can fill the role with someone else with little hassle. You need to look out for number one.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take both jobs, chat up both firms and get a sense of who's most patient, then start one job and tell the other job your Nan's died and you have to go to her funeral in New Zealand. Spend a couple of weeks at the one job, see if you like it, if you don't, escape to the other.

--------------------
sweet

Waynster

In case anyone is interested, I didn't accept the offer at Canon but I just let them wait - I didn't think it would do me any favours if they went ahead starting organising everything for my arrival and then me go and tell them I wouldn't be starting after all.

Anyway its all academic now anyway, as the little bank that I really had the good feeling about - the perfect job and all that - well its officially mine. Just got the call and once the paperwork is sorted tomorrow, I can probably start monday.

I might have a beer tonight...

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Waynster! [Smile]
sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff waynster. I was rooting for the job you took. [Smile]

Sorry about the assault. The bastard.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
In case anyone is interested, I didn't accept the offer at Canon but I just let them wait - I didn't think it would do me any favours if they went ahead starting organising everything for my arrival and then me go and tell them I wouldn't be starting after all.

Anyway its all academic now anyway, as the little bank that I really had the good feeling about - the perfect job and all that - well its officially mine. Just got the call and once the paperwork is sorted tomorrow, I can probably start monday.

I might have a beer tonight...

Let's hope you still like it a few weeks in [Wink]

I'll try and get out for a beer towards the weekend mate.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Waynster, that's great news. [Smile]
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice

--------------------
supa scrub

Waynster

Thanks for the words peeps - just been and signed my name on the dotted line and I'll be starting Monday - really looking forward to it.

Ironically, decided to go celebrate last night and I am in the pub with a couple of friends supping guinness and watching the footie. Couple of lads near us start talking about what we do and so forth, so I tell them about the new job, and how I turned down another offer at Canon. And guess what? It turns out they work in IT at Canon for the guys who interviewed me. Typical. Still I asked them to explain my reasons to the boss, but I guess my chances of ever working their are blown for sure now.

Still, who cares - I'll be ogling cute russian girlies all day [Smile]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+