Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » midweek review (Page 7)

This topic is comprised of pages: 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: midweek review
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have given me winter sports envy. I want to go skiing next month but have, as yet, organised nothing and it's also looking a bit difficult re work commitments. :snowmad:

My head-in-sand solution is to buy lots of tickets for this Friday's Euromillions lottery (which I will naturally win), simultaneously solving the twin problems of my need to earn a living and the dodgy Euro rate which is making Alpine skiing v expensive at the moment (unless you want to go to a place that's full of the Swiss).

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't you ski in Canadia? That's not full of the Swiss is it? French Canadians though, so possibly even worse.
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to go skiing in Nordamericia - especially since it's mondo cheap at the moment due to crumbling dollarness - but you really need a 10 or 11 day holiday for that, and as per above it's looking 50/50 whether I can even get a week off :glum:

--------------------

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to tell you this Hippy, but I'm afraid I've actually bought 10 tickets for the lottery, so you'll not be winning this time. Keep trying though.
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aspen is £1000, Tahoe a little over £500 and about the same for upstate NY...

Then factor anywhere from £200 to £400 for air fare... I think even with the $=teh weak, you might still save money going to the continent.

[ 07.02.2008, 07:23: Message edited by: sabian ]

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snow is better in the states though.

what about bulgaria/eastern europe vibes?

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Hey, I'm made of money, me.

I just meant it is relatively cheap to go to America this year, and it is relatively expensive to go to the Eurozone.

As I go skiing every year, it seems a good opportunity to take advantage of the relative cheapness of North America this time around.

Ringo: [Mad]

--------------------

sabian

Tell ya what...

These are where I grew up:
Holiday Valley
Cockaigne
Peek-n-Peak

So, you pay for me to fly with you to NYC for £230 and hire a car... I'll drive you to one of the resorts and drop you, I'll go visit my family for a week and then come back, pick you up drive back to NYC and fly back to Engerlund!

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I said to my friends who asked me... Abby? they asked is it worth going to Anmerica to go skiing?

quote:
For those who have considered going to the USA for a ski holiday, here is my assessment, obviously only based on one resort.

Snow – good as far as I can tell. The dry and cold conditions mean that the now is very dry and powdery. I think I only saw one patch of ice the whole time (I fell over on it).

The pistes are very empty during the week, which was nice and go up to normal alpine crowds at the weekend. The tree line is a lot higher so you don’t get as much open mountain skiing, which is my favourite bit, and despite the high altitude the mountains seem less rugged than the alps. Lift passes here were pretty pricey, but can also be used at Breckenridge and Vale which are big areas, but a bus trip (30min – 1 h range I think). Keystone itself is only really good for 2-3 days skiing.

The resort itself is primarily owned by one company, I don’t know if this is normal, but there does not seem to be any independent chalets or cheap options. The accommodation we had was luxurious, but ~£1000 for a week and a day (could sleep six). This was the cheapest option we could find, and included access to the spa, free buses about the resort and overly cheerful and helpful staff at every turn.

There is an aura of fakeness about the resort as it has never been a real town/village, and the provision of services is a bit bizarre. The bars shut at ten, as do the busses going between resort areas – it is very spread out. There are very few restaurants/bars not in posh hotels, and seemingly ONE grocery shop, the size of a small corner shop for the whole resort. This can be accessed by walking along a six lane highway. On Sunday I finally found myself near a booze shop, only to find that booze shops don’t open Sundays.

Overall verdict: Probably not worth extra cost and travel, unless there was maybe a time of year where good weather + snow were guaranteed. Although that may be when all the Americans go as well, so the empty slope bonus would be lost?

I dunno!

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and the lift pass was a bit pricey as well!
sabian

To be fair Abby... Those places like Aspen, Vale, etc are ONLY for the ski season... Out of season, they are ghost towns so investing a lot in the 'community' would be a waste for 7-8 months of the year.

Whereas places like Tahoe where you can ski in the morning and go surfing in the afternoon or like where I grew up in NY... These are places that aren't "trendy" so they don't get the tourists in, just people who live in the area who like to ski.

Peek-N-Peak, for instance, isn't as grand as Vale but you get a nice range with a decent piste (gotta love lake effect snow!) and it's in a 'real' town... And, being a hour from Niagara Falls, 2 hours or so from Toronto, and a few other places around the Western NY area worth visiting, you get a more well rounded experience. Or going to the Catskills/Adirondacks in mid-State NY, you are only a few hours from NYC and Montreal.

However, not being a great lover of downhill (I did a lot of x-country through the State parks) I never did see the point in paying huge premiums for places like Vale or Aspen... Seems to me those are places you go to be seen skiing rather than to ski.

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+