email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Laws (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Laws
scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello there.

I've been thinking a lot about stuff that gets named after people recently. Like the Higgs Boson. How awesome would it be to have a tiny possibly non-existent particle in which God may or may not be hiding named after you? I have a buddy who has a string theorem named after him, which I also thought would be wonderful. Other ones that I have enjoyed:

Goldbach's conjecture, which basically states that all even numbers are the sum of two prime numbers. It's true, apparently, but nobody can prove it, which is why it's still a conjecture and not a theorem.

An old favourite - Godwin's law, which relates to the directly proportional relationship between the time an internet debate has been going on and the likelihood of someone evoking hitler and the nazis. (Godwin's law fairly prominent here, I think.)

So - I wondered whether, if you guys could have a law, a conjecture, a scientific discovery or something named after you, what would it be?

I took the liberty of posting up Greenwood's law (scrawny surname), constructed by me, laboriously, in Paint.

-

Any more pointless bids for glory?

[ 11.08.2008, 11:00: Message edited by: scrawny ]

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
Fucking typical. One post in a thousand years and the fucking image thing won't work. Can someone make it come on the internet?

--------------------

scrawny
Fuck this. Seriously. Hmm.  -

Hurray!

--------------------

scrawny
*...watches thread drown

--------------------

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this, but I am too hungover to think of anything. Maybe a law about how the worse the hangover the less likely you are to be able to find a quiet spot at work to go for a nap?

Yes. Amazing work from me there. Insightful and hilarious.

Sorry everyone.

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam's Sorrow: the more you fancy a bloke, the less he'll fancy you.

Ringo will never love me. [Frown]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Davis Directive: At any event with free alcohol, the extent of your determination to simply have one or two drinks and then leave is directly proportional to the level of drunken humiliation you will undergo.
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
The Davis Directive: At any event with free alcohol, the extent of your determination to simply have one or two drinks and then leave is directly proportional to the level of drunken humiliation you will undergo.

lolol so true

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TMO Uncertainty Principle states that the true intention of a post located within a small region of cyber space must always be unknowable. Its existence within an inflection vacuum perpetually bombarded with waves of irony assures the meaning of that post is uncertain. See also, [/i]The Winkie Wankie Conjecture[/i].

Jones Law: The rate of workflow is resistant to all external pressures barring the proximity of deadlines.

Norton's Law of Movement: Where BEN= conductor and bullshit is a constant, a precise level of resistance will generate perpetual movements.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

[/i]The Winkie Wankie Conjecture[/i].

UBB's Law - a mystery.

[ 12.08.2008, 06:41: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

sam
TMO Member
Hello jonesy. I have so missed you.

How are the boys?

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
They're great. They turned one a couple of weeks back.

-
See, it says so on their T-Shirts.

[ 12.08.2008, 06:46: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Dad's Law: Photos always follow polite enquiries about kids.

[ 12.08.2008, 06:49: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol. Good looking boys.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Well, apparently they look like me, so thanks ralph.

When I put their eye patches on, it's like that bit that never happens in Escape From New York, where Snake gets bullseyed by the infantogun. Uncanny.

[ 12.08.2008, 07:09: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Note: I am attempting to reverse the polarity of Grrr [Mad] 's Law in an effort to destroy my tag. I saw something similar work on an epside of Deep Space Nine

Grrr! [Mad] 's Law: The frequency of being dubbed a dead ringer for a celebrity to whom you bear no resemblance rises proportionate to your level of denial.

[ 12.08.2008, 07:06: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herbs's law: when looking at photos of kids, thoughts always turn to provenance of the featured flooring.

BTW: which one's Biggie, and which one's Smalls?

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
The featured flooring was from Woodworks on the Holloway Road, rug from Ikea, now covered in disgusting kid juice and ruined, like anything else in our home that isn't wipe clean.

Smalls is on the left. Biggie is other one.

[ 12.08.2008, 12:14: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
Herbs's law: when looking at photos of kids, thoughts always turn to provenance of the featured flooring.

You know... on this occasion I think that's fair enough. That's a really nice wooden floor. Ours looks (is) well fucked up compared to that.

Your comment reminds me of:

Mum's Movie Maxim
A mother's ability to become distracted by irrelevant details is proportional to the level of instensity in a given movie scene, eg watching the rape in The Accused and remarking "I don't know why she wore those shoes. They do nothing for her legs".

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their expressions are kind of eerily adult. I'm a bit scared that you've reproduced a doubledamien.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Eerily accurate and no more than I deserve.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Mum's Movie Maxim isn't dissimilar to

Teenage Son 2nd Viewing with Mum Syndrome: An unstoppable urge to say "Cup of tea?" and pop in the kitchen just before, for example, the rape scene in The Accused.

Teenage Son 2nd Viewing With Mum Syndrome colliding with Mum's Movie Maxim raises the fascinating philosophic and scientific question, "If a Mum criticises shoes during a rape scene and a son isn't around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Grrr! [Mad] 's Law: The frequency of being dubbed a dead ringer for a celebrity to whom you bear no resemblance rises proportionate to your level of denial.

You are so damn right. They keep telling me I look like Keira Knightley.

btw your boys are absolutely gorgeous. [Big Grin]

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Thanks Sam. I loved you in Bend it like Beckham by the way. You looked like a hermaphrodite. But kinda hot.
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
[QUOTE]Mum's Movie Maxim
A mother's ability to become distracted by irrelevant details is proportional to the level of instensity in a given movie scene, eg watching the rape in The Accused and remarking "I don't know why she wore those shoes. They do nothing for her legs".

Would you sooner she burst into tears before turning to you and saying: "Oh my god, son. I never told you this before but that happened to me."?

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Hmm, that explains a lot.

Judging by my mum's observation (at the exact moment Bab's baps were revealed in Carry on Camping) that my grandfather's receding hairline was exactly the same as Bernard Breslaw's, I can only assume Mum went through some kind of twenty-something trauma - exposing herself during an aerobics session at a caravan park in Dimchurch or something.

[ 12.08.2008, 07:50: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I suppose I could watch her for tell tale signs next time Camping is repeated, but I always seem to be in the kitchen at that point.
sam
TMO Member
She may have done. LOL

Embarassment is the thing about irrelevant comments. I used to have the same problem when watching anyhting of a vaguely sexual nature when my son was in the room; deflection I think it's called. Now I go out and make a cuppa and come back when it's all over.

Being a mum to a son is weird. I remember, many, many moons ago, breast-feeding my son and looking down at him in that sort of soppy way you get at that most intimate of mummy-times when he morphed into my brother.

I amost dropped him in sheer horror.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
quote:
Originally posted by sam:

I remember, many, many moons ago, breast-feeding my son and looking down at him in that sort of soppy way you get at that most intimate of mummy-times when he morphed into my brother.

I've not had that yet.
sam
TMO Member
Well, maybe not, but this Well, apparently they look like me, has just made me wonder if your wife ever feels like she is in some sort of 'Being John Malkovich' moment.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I think she probably does. But that's probably got less to do with family resemblances and more to do with the fact that she earns her living as a professional puppeteer.
sam
TMO Member
That is so cool.

Or are you teasing?

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I'm just pulling your strings. [Smile]
sam
TMO Member
lol [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by sam:
Embarassment is the thing about irrelevant comments. I used to have the same problem when watching anyhting of a vaguely sexual nature when my son was in the room; deflection I think it's called. Now I go out and make a cuppa and come back when it's all over.

That's true, but maybe I chose a bad example. It doesn't have to be an awkward moment, just one in which something interesting/ exciting is happening. Like the first assasination attempt in Godfather Pt II where Pacino says 'Why are the curtains open' and then hits the deck when the gunfire starts. "Oooh. Nice carpet."

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+