Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Friday Fnnnngghh (Page 28)

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  59  60  61 

Author Topic: Friday Fnnnngghh
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol! I feel completely vindicated now after reading their wikipedia page:

quote:
The band finally released their debut album on March 2004: Peace, Love, Death Metal. It appeared to be a favorite of advertisers, as several songs from it were used in American television commercials including those for Ask.com, Comcast, Payless ShoeSource, Nissan Motors, Budweiser, Pontiac Motors, Wendys,
'A favourite of advertisers'. Probably the most scathing compliment it's possible to bestow on a band.
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W

R

O

N

G

McDirts
TMO Member
Get BM to burn you 'Death By Sexy' and 'Peace, Love and Death Metal' and give them a listen.
They're like QOTSA with added Glam and ZZ Top.
Just because they're not trying to be self consciously 'real' doesn't mean you should dismiss them out of hand.
It's almost hurtful.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never really understood the fuss with QOTSA, either, to be honest. I really liked Kyuss, but Queens of the Stone Age seemed sort of boring to me. I went to see them live, years back and they were crushingly disappointing. So a band by a man who's also in a band I dislike, making music for adverts in the trendiest genre of the moment doesn't really appeal to me.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone got their swine flu masks, yeah?
McDirts
TMO Member
I'm a bit confused. What's the trendiest genre of the moment?
Thorn Davis

That garage rock revival thing with The Strokes, The White Stripes, BRMC and all them lot.
McDirts
TMO Member
You'll be dissing Steely Dan next.
McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
That garage rock revival thing with The Strokes, The White Stripes, BRMC and all them lot.

You haven't listened to a lot of EoDM have you? Well, you've already said as much, so I'LL LET YOU OFF.
It's ok, you're still alright in my book. [Smile]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously guys... you've got your masks, right?
Thorn Davis

Maybe trendy is the worng word. But you know what I mean - the kind of thing where everything is the best album ever, reborn spirit of rock'n'roll, fuzzed up don't give a fuck blah blah yawn, advertised on channel 4 at 11pm on a Friday with some dickhead who sounds well-educated but with just enough dropped consonants to sound like an ad-man's idea of edgy saying things like "The brilliant new album from The Generics featuring the hits singles 'Skinny girl's asscrack rising over jeans', '£90 for a haircut that looks like you just woke up' and 'We're working on a brilliant web project, yeah'" That kind of thing
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by McDirts:
You haven't listened to a lot of EoDM have you?

That's correct. I'm extrapolating this entirely from about twenty seconds of an intro to one of their songs, information on their wikipedia page, and my own wild prejudice.
McDirts
TMO Member
That's not EoDM.
You've got it wrong.
They're far too tongue in cheek for any of that. I don't mean they're The Barron Knights or even The Darkness, but they're just not what you think they are..

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Everyone got their swine flu masks, yeah?

There's a story on the Beeb that's from a chick who reckons she had swine flu, and she had this to say:

quote:
I think swine flu is very different from a normal flu because I just couldn't get out of bed
Surely that's just the difference between a bad cold and actual influenza?
Thorn Davis

quote:
That's not EoDM.
You've got it wrong.
They're far too tongue in cheek for any of that. I don't mean they're The Barron Knights or even The Darkness, but they're just not what you think they are..

Oh I see. It's ironic.

Worse, not better.

McDirts
TMO Member
It's balls out, good time rock and roll. That's a bit like saying ZZ Top's ironic.
I mean, I know you're a bit student in your tastes so I won't bother labouring the point.

McDirts
TMO Member
Has anyone got a swine flu mask I could buy or download?
Thorn Davis

quote:
It's balls out, good time rock and roll.

I hate balls out, good time rock n roll.
McDirts
TMO Member
I'm trying to help you here Thorn.

Maybe I could come round with the albums and talk you through them track by track? When's good for you?

Thorn Davis

No it's not going to work now, I'm afraid. Liking them under these circumstances would be too much like an admission of defeat.
McDirts
TMO Member
You like AC/DC and you hate balls out good time rock n roll?
Thorn Davis

That was a joke, about hating balls out, good time rock n roll. Partly based on the fact that I love balls out, good time rock n roll and have enthused many times on here about balls out, good time rock n roll bands, but also partly because we'd fallen into this pattern where I was just refusing to admit anything about EoDM might be worthwhile. Having said that, when a balls out, good time rock n roll band becomes sort of... flavour of the month, I suppose, it makes me feel bitter on behalf of all the balls out, good time rock n roll bands that I've liked for years that haven't been as successful.
McDirts
TMO Member
have they become flavour of the month then? I wasn't aware of that.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of them. So they must be quite in at the moment.
Thorn Davis

Yeah. You know. Featuring in a Nike commercial directed by Guy Ritchie, constant coverage in The Guardian, that kind of thing. Not that I'm Jeff Edgy when it comes to music, but you know. It's hard not to feel a bit suspicious.
McDirts
TMO Member
Great. Now Ralph likes them.
Is it too late to get into CSS?

McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
Yeah. You know. Featuring in a Nike commercial directed by Guy Ritchie,

That was a bit of a let down, I must admit. Still, you know, a band's got to make money while the sun shines Thorn. Surely you must appreciate that?
ralph

quote:

I said I've heard of them. I don't think I've actually heard anything by them.
Thorn Davis

quote:
That was a bit of a let down, I must admit. Still, you know, a band's got to make money while the sun shines Thorn. Surely you must appreciate that?

Oh yeah, I'm sure they probably couldn't afford to tell Nike to go fuck themselves, and a man's gotta eat and all that. Just that when you have to picture Guy Ritchie saying "Have you heard the Eagles of Death Metal? They're brilliant" every time you put the record on, then it sours things a bit.
McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:

I said I've heard of them. I don't think I've actually heard anything by them.
Really? They're good. You should give them a listen. They're a bit like Kansas, in that they use electric guitars as well, but just a lot, lot better.
ralph

lol. I couldn't possibly listen to them now. They sold their soul to Nike for a quick buck.
McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
quote:

Oh yeah, I'm sure they probably couldn't afford to tell Nike to go fuck themselves, and a man's gotta eat and all that. Just that when you have to picture Guy Ritchie saying "Have you heard the Eagles of Death Metal? They're brilliant" every time you put the record on, then it sours things a bit.
Mind you, Guy Ritchie might actually be quite a nice bloke. Did you ever consider that? It's unlikely I know, but all you really know about him is what you read in the papers and magazines and that's not like knowing the real person is it? Maybe he saves his good side for when he's not with anyone at all.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
They sold their soul to Nike for a quick buck.

Also they got kicked off the Guns N Roses tour after one show for being 'shit'.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kansas had a song on Guitar Hero for shame. I don't think you can sell out more than that.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
Kansas had a song on Guitar Hero for shame. I don't think you can sell out more than that.

You could sell out to Nike and Guitar Hero...

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  59  60  61 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+