Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Friday Fnnnngghh (Page 29)

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  59  60  61 

Author Topic: Friday Fnnnngghh
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
Kansas had a song on Guitar Hero for shame. I don't think you can sell out more than that.

yeah, but ti was what? 25, 30 years after they recorded it?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I suppose it is a bit pitiful that they were so unheard of that after 25 years of slogging and getting nowhere they have to peddle their rubbish into computer games.
ralph

They did just fine. How many musicians get to make a fairly decent living off performing for 35 plus years? My father-in-law would kill to be in their shoes instead of playing whatever piece of crap gig that comes his way.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Everyone got their swine flu masks, yeah?

It appears from this picture that ralph is entirely responsible for the spread of pig flu.

-

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EoDM inhabit a uniquely odd stretch of musical territory. That's one of the things I like about them. They're so obviously a vastly self-indulgent project of white-trash pantomime Rock, they're so obviously the creation of buddies seeking amusement, that they can get away with just about all the camp, juvenile, venal, silly, preposterousness they can accomplish. They're located somewhere on the rock family tree in the region of Spinal Tap, SAHB, the Gimmes. Or you could even file them under 'intelligent spoof', they're certainly more Unknown Hinson than Weird Al. I can see how they might annoy, but I think there's way more to like in their tight/sloppy, adolescent, pomp-opera than there is to despise.

--------------------
sweet

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listened to some EoDM last night after seeing this thread and thought it was an uninspiring load of old shite to be honest, I mean each to their own but to mention that crap in the same sentence as AC/DC is blasphemy McDirts, you hear me? Blasphemy! Also, christ knows why they've got 'death metal' in their name, or even 'metal' for that matter, because what they're churning out is patently neither..
ralph

I think McDirts is in need of a good thrashing. And you're just the bloke to do it.
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your mommas. all of them. I'm the man to give them what your poppas couldn't. I'll have them speaking in tongues.

[ 28.04.2009, 10:50: Message edited by: McDirts ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McDirts:
Your mommas. all of them. I'm the man to give them what your poppas couldn't.

You're going to finally replace the cork tiling in the hall? Mum will be delighted!
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also she still needs a new car.
Thorn Davis

And that en-suite bathroom that's been talked about for about 15 years now.
Thorn Davis

Maybe it's easiest if I ring her and get her to send you a list.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i heart thorn

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

McDirts
TMO Member
I don't believe that all that stuff needs doing. Couldn't I just finger her instead?
Thorn Davis

OK, so I downloaded the new EoDM album from Amazon last night and er... yeah. I'd like to take back everything I said about them
McDirts
TMO Member
When you say 'new' what's it called? Have they got a new album?
Thorn Davis

'Heart On', yes. Well - it's 2009 so new-ish.

Anyway. I wished I'd heard them before berating them because I'm sure that my words would have carried more weight if I'd been backed up by actually having listened to them. The word that most readily sprung to mind was 'boring'. A really vanilla 'rock n roll' sound that never seemed particularly individual or interesting. It's telling, I think, that Black Mask's comments on the band - like Benway's burbling defence of 50 Cent - focussed on everything other than the music. It was about the image, the references, the spirit in which it's intended. Bland band, but it does explain why they're such popular fodder as advertising jingles.

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
It's telling, I think, that Black Mask's comments on the band ... focussed on everything other than the music. It was about the image, the references, the spirit in which it's intended.

That's fair, I suppose. They're better than a lot of current rock chancers who peddle themselves as the real deal, though. It's refreshing at least to encounter a band that obviously have their tongue in their cheek. It's sad that 'best of a bad lot' is considered a ringing endorsement, nowadays. Musically, I'd say their most appealing trait is a complete lack of sophistication, or at least the veneer of an absence of sophistication, maybe it takes hours in the studio to get that sort of idiot-clang-rockabilly-stomp-type-sound?

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

Black Mask, did you ever hear of Groop Dogdrill? Pathetically I still think of them as current, although they released their last album nearly ten years ago, and then split up. Anyway - I think you'd dig them if you like rockabilly swagger and attitude. Plus they're from Doncaster, not L.A., which automatically makes them a cooler by an order of magnitude.
Black Mask

quote:
Black Mask, did you ever hear of Groop Dogdrill?

Yeah, you put a Dogdrill track on that xmas cd. I downloaded some tracks from Limewire, thereafter. T'were reet good.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

The problem with all these young whippersnappers is... distance from the source.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Their purity of essence has been diluted.

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
'Heart On', yes. Well - it's 2009 so new-ish.

Anyway. I wished I'd heard them before berating them because I'm sure that my words would have carried more weight if I'd been backed up by actually having listened to them. The word that most readily sprung to mind was 'boring'. A really vanilla 'rock n roll' sound that never seemed particularly individual or interesting. It's telling, I think, that Black Mask's comments on the band - like Benway's burbling defence of 50 Cent - focussed on everything other than the music. It was about the image, the references, the spirit in which it's intended. Bland band, but it does explain why they're such popular fodder as advertising jingles.

I really like them [Frown]
Well, I really liked Peace, Love and Death Metal and Death By Sexy. I haven't heard their new one.
I like worthy music as well though. So that's alright. [Smile]

ralph

quote:
worthy music

Such as?
McDirts
TMO Member
I mean check this out.
SOLID GOLD - IT DON'T GET NO GAYER

or

We want you so hard EoDM

McDirts
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
quote:
worthy music

Such as?
Your taste in music begins with Kansas and ends with ELO.
I'm not getting into a conversation about music with you Ralph.

Black Mask

quote:
I mean check this out.
SOLID GOLD - IT DON'T GET NO GAYER

I'll see your gay and raise you GLAM

--------------------
sweet

McDirts
TMO Member
I love that track.
How the fuck would someone like Bolan become a teen idol these days?

Black Mask

I'll tell you who I hate, musically, shall I?

Art Brut. I fucking hate Art Brut.

--------------------
sweet

ralph

quote:
Your taste in music begins with Kansas and ends with ELO.
I'm not getting into a conversation about music with you Ralph.

You've got me all wrong, man. I like just about everything except opera.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no discrimination, then.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Thorn Davis

quote:
You've got me all wrong, man. I like just about everything except opera.

Hey, I used to say this! But the other day I listened to Don Giovanni all the way through and thought it was brilliant. I also used to claim that I didn't like Mozart, so I was wrong all over the place on this one. Also Don Giovanni is all about how wicked cool it is to spend your life killing people and banging hot fucking sluts three at a time, and even when everyone gets all up in your face saying 'That's no way to behave', you tell them to get the fuck out of your grill because you're the kind of guy who likes killing people and banging hot fucking sluts three at a time, and for that you apologies to no-one, right up until the angel of death crashes into your home and drags you off to hell even as you shout "I'm Don Giovanni and I spent my whole goddamn life killing people and banging hot fucking sluts three at a time and I REGRET NOTHING!". You have to respect that.

Anyway.

While we're all cooped up in here talking about music, can I just home in on something ben said once, that has bothered me ever since:

quote:
Originally posted by ben:
It's odd - since the advent of CDs and mass reissuing, I guess we've existed in an 'eternal present' where the stuff from way back in the day has to compete on a semi-equal footing with the latest bands. As such, I'm not sure bands like Led Zeppelin really fare too well.

IIJM or is ben saying here that by modern standards, Led Zep et al (presumably The Who, Sabbath etc) are... well... shit? Because I always thought it was the other way around, and when you listened to Led Zep and co, it makes you feel genuinely ashamed of the quality of contemporary music. It's a comment that always bewildered me and I couldn't quite believe that someone would say something that... obviously wrong. Mind you he hated The Clash, so who knows what's going on in there.
ralph

ben said that? I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't quoted it. Gosh. I guess I had him all wrong...
Black Mask

I bet ben likes Art Brut. I bet he thinks they're 'amusing'.

--------------------
sweet

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
ben said that? I wouldn't have believed it if you hadn't quoted it. Gosh. I guess I had him all wrong...

Ben also said that it was pointless for people to cook at home because there were professional chefs who were better at it so everyone should just eat out for every single meal.

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  59  60  61 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+