Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Friday Fnnnngghh (Page 45)

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  59  60  61 

Author Topic: Friday Fnnnngghh
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get the appeal of Bueller either. He's basically a complete jerk who ruins the lives of his friends, and we're meant to perceive him as some kind of anarchic free spirit. It's just awful from start to finish.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last weekend I went to Cuba…for some scuba…lol

This weekend I came back, and now I am at home having pretended my flight was delayed, trying to decide what to have for lunch.

Of all the delicious foods which exist ( not including ham and cheese sandwiches or rice and beans, which are delicious up to a certain point, but that point is about 4 days), which will be the most deliciously treatsome right now…?

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is quite a fun interpretation of Ferris Bueller that some people have come up with whereby Ferris doesn't actually exist and he's just someone made up in Cameron's head to allow him to be more free spirited, like a Tyler Durden type character.

This interpretation falls down in a number of places but if you try to watch it imagining it is like that it makes it a bit more watchable.

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly sure I will never go scuba diving, and I doubt I'll ever visit cuba.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extreme Childbirth, whatever next..?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol
Eileen Cock

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
This interpretation falls down in a number of places

To be fair, it falls down in quite a few places in Fight Club, too.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fight Club can at least fall back on an interesting concept, some tight dialogue, and an engaging visual style. Bueller has none of these things. It just seems like a shameless author insertion fantasy.
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its not really a good idea to watch any of john hughes' films as an adult. youll basically hate everyone on screen except the grownups. it doesnt really matter if youve never seen them before or, at the other end of the spectrum, have seen them so many times that you can recite them word for word. i watched the first half an hour of weird science the other night, and while its not one of my favourite hughes movies- ive probably only seen it a paltry 36 times or thereabouts- its one that i certainly held in enormously high esteem between the years of 1989 and 1991. in 2010 all i could do was smile wanly at their deeply sexist and at points mildly racist japery and think 'well, at least i had something that gave me joy in the midst of my adolescence that wasnt dry blackthorn, shoegazing music or masturbation'.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the house in ferris bueller is pretty awesome though. it went on the market last year and i think benway, scrawny and i decided we were going to club together and purchase it. we were all going to live there in a commune, which had as its intellectual raison d'etre a combination of 70s self- help movements and the works of john hughes; i particularly liked the image of benway engaging in primal scream therapy whilst uncle buck played in the background on massive screens. but you know, the day when your favourite thing about ferris bueller's day off is the architecture is the day Your Heart Has Offically Died.

[ 22.02.2010, 12:44: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wearing jeans and a t-shirt

last watched executive koala

listening to just hypemachine really. and stuff from 8bitcollective.

tv: nothing. Don't really watch anything on that. Oh, I saw half of Caprica, but had no idea what was going on.

reading: 'one day in the life of ivan denisovich' and a funny little book called 'scorch atlas', which is a collection of very bleak short stories.

email - work was a load of files from taiwan, still unopened. non-work is just a notification, as are almost all emails these days.

weekend - maybe parents coming down, maybe not. haven't talked to them in weeks. still not 100% sure that mother didn't die in madeira. About 95% sure of this. when the flood happened louise said "wasn't you mother in madeira or going to madeira?" and I said "yes...i think so" then went back to sleep. also hopefully seeing an erstwhile forumite for a catch up.

week - fine. been a bit of a dream really. Worked at home all week, lost track of time quite a few times.

lunch - probably going to get jerk chicken, rice n peas.

[ 26.02.2010, 06:43: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
i can feel that we're all going to have a lot of fun this friday. a LOT of fun.
Kanye West
TMO Member
brilliant.
Black Mask

Wearing: Grey Vans shirt, black v-neck t-shirt, black jeans and black Adidas shell-toes.

Last watched: UP! Cried like a baby.

Listening to: The Sesame Street Alphabet Album. Would you like to buy an 'O'?

TV: University Challenge. Not sure if I like the new rules...

Reading: That crazy book DeeEm recommended. I thought it was spoof/hoax, at first. Beautiful, odd and mundane.

email: Trying to arrange bookings for a comic book workshop.

Weekend: Tomorrow, father-in-law taking us out for lunch. Then DIY. Ha! Sunday, lesbians for lunch.

Week: Yeah, okay, you know...

Lunch: Just had chips and mushy peas from the canteen. And a bottle of Lilt.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad Black Mask cried at 'Up'. I wondered whether I was losing my edge.
Kanye West
TMO Member
I bet I wouldn't cry.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
I'm glad Black Mask cried at 'Up'. I wondered whether I was losing my edge.

I first started bubbling at the childhood/romance backstory at the beginning, then every four or five minutes throughout the entire movie. I even cried at the bits about the irritating bird.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Steve.

--------------------
sweet

Kanye West
TMO Member
I don't cry at that kind of shit.
Black Mask

Steve was the bird's name, iirc.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

I think it was Kevin.

Yeah. The montage at the start did for me as well. I think it's probably impossible to sit on the sofa with your partner and watch someone compress your hopes and fears into a wordless ten minute segment without getting a bit choked up. I also got a bit tearful the first time the kid showed up, just because he was so much like young Carl. And of course the 'Stuff I'm going to do'. I was kind of dreading that all the way through the film. It had to happen, and when it became obvious it was about to it was like, "OKdeepbreathseeifwecangetthroughthis".

Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Kanye West:
I don't cry at that kind of shit.

I suppose it depends how much you allow yourself to be affected by a film, and how you much you allow yourself to empathise with fictional characters. I have this argument with my dad, who doesn't believe a film can be emotionally affecting, on the grounds that it's a bunch of stuff that didn't happen. But he always says it as a point of pride, like a child claiming they weren't scared of a horror film. Well, whoopiefuck, well done - looks like you wasted your time.

I suppose it's difficult to quantify. If I get the sense a film is going after my heartstrings, I just get annoyed with it. But some films have a sense of being very sincere about the emotions they illicit, and Up was one of those films. Some people accuse it of being manipulative, but I don't agree. It's simply that it's effective. It feels like a very kind-hearted film, so when you're watching a process of ageing, and illness and death, executed wordlessly in a ten minute montage there's not a sense of a besuited executive going "Ok, this'll get them blubbing", but rather of someone truthfully and honestly exploring something that's a real fear and indeed a reality for pretty much everyone.

This all takes place before the talking dogs start flying aeroplanes, BTW.

Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't cry at Up, but I was forewarned that the start was to be emotional, I just kind of manned up... I'm sure the three year old I was sitting next to was impressed.

Anyhow let's waste 5 minutes.

Wearing: Jeans, t-shirt, odd socks, cardy in the theme of black and blue.

Watching: I have sky+'d come dine with me, a terrible program with a terrible narrator.

Reading: Nothing

Film: Got district 9 to watch on DVD

Listening: Got the new Knife album "tomorrow in a year"... experimental, don't really like it. Probably will listen to it a bit more when I'm on a train or something.

Eating: Chip roll.

Sleeping: reasonably well, no more lying on the carpet. New bed see, might help, also less caffeine and that.

Going out: No, staying in, too wet and cold outside, have to go out sometimes though, need food, yes, but mostly stay in. Look forward to spring.

Hair status: Getting a bit untidy, but in a bad way, need to book up with the hairdresser.

Work: not too busy but still doing stuff. Got offer of regular work 4 mornings a week, but not really feeling that enthused as it feels like a proper job, to which I am no longer accustomed.

Playing: Mass Effect 2, 17 hours in, heartbroken, but more powerful, Got all my crew now, already planning my second play through, dithering about before I go on a suicide mission... bypassing side missions - there's so many, need to get the reaper next... Alien boobs.

Black Mask

Wearing: Got a potentially disastrous denim shirt and chino combo going on. No loafers, thankfully.

Watching: That TV show last night about chaos was good. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was good, too. Not UP good, just good.

Reading: Been flicking through various novels in my To Do pile, nothing really grabbing me at the mo. Still holding out for a long lull so i can read Planetary.

Film: Oh, the Meatballs movie. Up there.

Listening: I've been listening to Mastodon, courtesy of the Masketeers.

Eating: Nothing, yet. Could all go pear-shaped this afternoon. Drinkies on the cards.

--------------------
sweet

Thorn Davis

Mastodon are absolutely brilliant.
Kanye West
TMO Member
LOL
Kanye West
TMO Member
wearing some jeans and a top, like a tshirt, well actually a tshirt, pretty good. you know, evs. reading.. reading a thing about suffering and suicide by schopenhauer, pretty good, some cracking lines in there. also reading the latest granta magazine, which is alright, although have failed to 'get' the poetry, because i am a dummy lol. watching, nothing really m8. Nothing. Oh, half watched the first of the new series of "Lewis", but it was balls. well balls. hathaway is too posh for my blood. what else. listenin, i been listenin to atmosphere, midnight brown, the manone mixes, and the new flying lotus, isn't it. err, films... fuck... i think probs the ricky gervais one was the last one i saw, cemetary junction. was fine, depressing as all of his stuff is.

alright rattlin through these now. weekend, well there are a couple'o'parties and a gig tomorrow, but as i said i'm fuckin ill so it might just be sittin around playing jrpgs feeling sorry for myself.

week has been pretty ass.

uhh

yeah thassit lol

Kanye West
TMO Member
yo who is going to watch Nightmare on Elm Street
Kanye West
TMO Member
nah, looks like ass.
Kanye West
TMO Member
word
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wearing Blue cords, white t-shirt, purple and grey striped jumper, black socks, brown airwalk shoes.

Eating - Probably a salad. There is a load of cakes around though so I could just eat cake all day.

Weekend - Off to Dorset tomorrow to visit my mum, then visiting an old school friend who is just back from 8 years in Australia on Sunday

Watching - Great British Menu is pretty much all I've watched recently. Quite tempted by the human centipede though.

Playing - Enchanted Arms. Still awful but at least it tells you what perecentage of the way through it you are (62%), so I can't stop now.

General mood - Pretty good. Need to somehow find another 5000 for house deposit in the next few months. Anyone want to buy a baby? After a lot of stress at work this week I've managed to get ontop of my work and the work of two people who are off work at the moment and are due back next week so should calm down a bit.

Thorn Davis

quote:
Quite tempted by the human centipede though.

What's it about?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I think the title is like a metaphor and it's a feel good film about some American girls who go on holiday and they do a lot of walking and get through a lot of pairs of shoes (like a centipede would) on their journey and they come back weary but ultimately having learnt a lot about themselves and their planet.
Kanye West
TMO Member
wearing a tshirt and jeans. obviously. Last film i watched was Legend of Hell House, a british horror from the seventies, the fucking SEVENTIES. reading pop 1280, the jim thompson thingy, and carrying on with Granta. Playing METAL GEAR SOLID and it is SOOOO GOOD, I finished it last night, played it before, but really enjoyed it. listening to.. err.. don't know.. Madvillain and Gold Panda mostly isn't it. week has been alright, but i been feeling a bit depresszle-rizzle, don't know why. feel like its to do with 'life in general' another fucking friend is pregnant, another couple married, its all BULLSHIT its BULLSHIT. even my bro is 'engaged' or some such wank. still smarting from fucking up my pc last night, cost me £200 after somehow breaking one tiny pin in the cpu socket. gahhhhhhh. weekend, huuu feel like i have a haircut emergency that i need to attend to, on sunday an awful event is taking place - my parents are meeting her parents. should be agony. no planz for tonight, maybe rebuild the pc with the new mobo that i should be getting at some point today. also play some games if anybody is around it could be fun maybe or not yeah ok fuck it. havent had lunch, so far have had two cigarettes and some coffee.

mebs watch four lions, mebs not, not sure. wont bother with nightmare on elm street. didnt watch the f13th remake either, but HAVE peeped the texas chainsaw one, which was you know. you know. it was, you know. yeah you know. great.

[ 14.05.2010, 07:20: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Thorn Davis

quote:
I think the title is like a metaphor and it's a feel good film about some American girls who go on holiday and they do a lot of walking and get through a lot of pairs of shoes (like a centipede would) on their journey and they come back weary but ultimately having learnt a lot about themselves and their planet.

Sounds good. Sounds like the kind of film you could be proud of telling people you'd made.

[ 14.05.2010, 07:17: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  59  60  61 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+