Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Eve of destruction, or a brave new world? (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Eve of destruction, or a brave new world?
froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good.

News analyst: "No Republican has ever won the Presidency without winning Ohio."

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

froopyscot
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Darryn [Smile]

--------------------

froopyscot
Also: Obama leads in Florida and North Carolina.

North Carolina blows my mind. This is the state that til very recently was the stomping ground of arch conservative Jesse Helms.

Comeoncomeoncomeon.

--------------------

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is 75 points short ohe presidency with about 20 states or more to call

Nearly there I hope.....

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

froopyscot
Not new but hopefully prescient:

-

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been sat up watching David Dimbleby's coverage on BBC1, landslide ahoy!

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
god I'm knackered but they keep hooking me in with imminent poll closures. Damn your time zones.

--------------------

froopyscot
Landslide.

That's what I've been waiting to hear, but have been a bit superstitious about suggesting it.

As of right now, Obama can reliably count on picking up California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii - all have voted reliably Democrat since 1992 - and with those he would break the 270 electoral vote ceiling.

So now, fingers crossed, it's all about getting a mandate. A landslide.

...!!

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
You should use your 3k post for a victory dance, froopy. I suggest a samba.

--------------------

froopyscot
Sad that it's taken me 6 years to nearly reach 3k posts, isn't it?

--------------------

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nearly there!

--------------------

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
god I'm knackered but they keep hooking me in with imminent poll closures. Damn your time zones.

Ditto, may as well stay up til 3am now, grr.

Am watching David Dimbleby online from bed though, so at least I'm cosy.

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I'm watching the tv in the bedroom too with a hot water bottle on my feet.

Virginia is 50/50 with 77% of precincts in.

--------------------

missgolightly

- posted      Profile for missgolightly           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh Eddie Izzard on tv!
H1ppychick
We all locked in.
he was excitingly ginger. I think I'm done now.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
loving the aggressive local republican chair getting flatly contradicted by the BBC reporter

--------------------

froopyscot
It has actually happened.

quote:
OBAMA WINS
This. is. big.

A lot has been said about Obama's campaign messaging. That "hope" was too naive a slogan; too simplistic. That it didn't speak to specific policy positions.

Putting the policy questions aside - after all, this is a man who worked with a policy team of more than 200 experts to develop volumnous policy proposals, even to the point the Economist called them into focus in the course of their endorsement - there is substance to the message of hope.

For so many years, dissent has been called treason; anyone who questioned the actions of Bush and Cheney in the "war on terrorism" was painted as evil. The mentality of "if you're not with us, you're against us" was pervasive. It left Americans afraid. Beaten down. Afraid to raise their voices or their heads.

And those of us who dared to not be Republicans were similarly villified. Mocked. Excluded. And, as in my personal experience, even denied employment solely on the basis of political affiliation. (And it wasn't because I was a member of the Communist Party. It was because I had worked for a Democratic campaign. And for this I was accused of "working for Al Qaeda [sic]".)

So it is with caution that those of us started to think that things might actually change. That we could see our country act in a way that we could be proud of. That didn't start arbitrary wars in the self-interest of those in power. That didn't trample the rights of its citizens in the interest of "preserving freedom."

It's hard to believe that for the first time in so many years, I might not feel like an alien in my own country.

Without understatement, this is the best thing I've seen in a very, very long time. I can only hope that the ensuing weeks and months can live up to the promise - and yes, the hope - that the campaign has built.

--------------------

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Froopy, your post made me go all teary-eyed.

This is such an historical event and I'm so pleased that 1) I voted for Obama and 2) that he won. Although, to be honest, I knew he would win. We want real change, something McCain wouldn't have given us. I truly hope that Obama is as good as we hope.

Ps: darryn, I finally figured out my password. [Smile]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo !

(Hi Amy. I was just about to mail your passowrd out, glad you worked it out)

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Waynster

Oh happy day! Thank you america!

--------------------

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's more center than Clinton though so unless he takes advantage of the Congress vote I wouldn't look for too much in terms of reform.

However, if he takes advantage of the Congress majority, has the balls to do it, and doesn't get shot... This could be the next New Deal.

I still would have voted for Hillary

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morning! Hoorays!!

Im a bit sleepy this morning and could be found being given a backie home on my somewhat weaving chums bike at 3am.

Does 349:162 count as a landslide?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much enjoyed reading Froopy's emotional reaction to Obama's victory, there.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I've always believed in CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN. Sadly I fell asleep on the sofa last night and missed the victory, but Kellifer stayed up and watched it all unfold.

Congratulations America - you have gone up in my estimation! Now how long do we have to wait before the CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN can begin?

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Thorn - I had some spam in my inbox which originated from your yahoo address. And judging by the CC field of the emails, I'm not alone.

quote:
friend,how are you these days?i would like to introduce a good company who trades mainly in electornic products.Now the company is under sales promotion,all the products are sold nearly at its cost.They provide the best service to customers,they provide you with original products of good quality,and what is more,the price is a surprising happiness to you!
It is realy a good chance for shopping.just grasp the opportunity,Now or never!
The web address: www.------.com
you can have a look ,it's very nice!

[ 05.11.2008, 05:12: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John McCain gave a very dignified speech, didn't he.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think it's the same problem Mart had earlier this year. I think I've sorted it, but if anyone gets another one, let me know.
McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will no one think of the Greyhounds? What kind of backwood state is MA? If I were Obama the first thing I would do would be to invade that troublesome State and put the Greyhounds back where they belong, on the track.
MiscellaneousFiles

*Good times ahead!
mart
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Yeah, I think it's the same problem Mart had earlier this year. I think I've sorted it, but if anyone gets another one, let me know.

My advice is to back up your address book and any important emails in case your account gets blocked and closed down and you can't access them. And keep changing your password. Like, every day, or something.
mart
Everybody alright?
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m kind of hungry, and I just realised that I threw my headphones away accidentally, but other than that yeah. You?
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! In your weirdly mono-jowelled face McCain!

Isn't Dimbleby an irritating bumbling cuntzilla? They should've had Hitchens hosting the whole show.

Still the main thing is that the White House has got the boy in off the porch and America can finally grow up a bit. Hopefully.

Share tip - Invest in bullet-proof glass and armoured hybrid cars.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

Despite the fact that Biden seems like a genereally decent chap, America will go back down in my estimation if it assassinates Obama.

Got that, America? [Mad]

mart
Yeah, I'm alright Abby, thanks. I've got a really boring piece of work to do, though, and I keep making little stabs at it, and then drifting off and reading the BBC, or making cups of coffee, and so on.

So no different to any other day, really.

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+