Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Quiet on here (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Quiet on here
sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only ever posted during school holidays anyway. Been busy having a nose operation and a grandson.

I'm popping in occasionally to see if herbs has had her baby. I want to congratulate you herbs and then that'll be pretty much it.

Someone once described tmo as a soap opera and there is that slightly depressing air of a richer, nostalgic soap past to the place.

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still lurk, obviously. im only posting because my sister's having her 14 week scan today, but i dont know if she's told our other sister that shes puppin' yet, so i cant be all up in twitter and facebook and shit going 'WORD WORD WORD ALICE IS AUNTIE!!!' because it would cause bere ruuuuuuuuuuuctions. i am very amused by how excited i am about my incipient auntiehood, mostly because it reminds me of when boy racer's nephew was born and he was walking around as if he had invented oxygen, and everyone was like, 'dude, youre hyperventilating, find a cushion and a paperbag and chillax for a while'. including me a little bit. OK, quite a lot. and now im all like 'ALICE IS AUNTIE! MY YOUNGER SIBLING IS BREEDING SOON AND THE WORLD IS A LIGHTER, SHINIER PLACE. RELEASE THE HELIUM BALLOONS! UNCORK THE BOTTLES! TELL THE DANCING GIRLS TO PULL UP THEIR STOCKINGS AND STRAIGHTEN THEIR HEADDRESSES, FOR THE CARNIVAL OF UNDESERVED SELF- CONGRATULATION IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!'

yeah. being an expectant auntie is pretty cool.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know people got all amaze-o about nephews and nieces and babies and relatives and all that, but I've just never had it in me. My nephew is about 5 or 6 now, or something, and I feel like a really crap uncle, because I don't have any real emotional investment in his wellbeing. I wish him well, and look forward to drinking with him when he's a bit older, but that's about it. For the moment, he's just a slightly annoying spoilt child who sometimes produces beautiful little moments of childness, like all children do, because that's what they do. He's no different to any of the others in that regard, except that he's my nephew.

I did take an ace photo of him once, though, but more generally I think it's a very very good thing that I won't be having any children.

What with not wanting them, an' that.

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, i totally want a massive brood of jamfaced wretches you see but am totally failing to get off the launching pad with the whole you know, adult relationship thing. so its total wish fulfilment you see. i get to practise on someone else's, do the buying of tiny socks and the spitty kisses, without having to worry about catchment areas or lice or cabbage leaves or inevitable experimentation with drugs i wont have heard of let alone have taken.

--------------------

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an ace photo.

I'm very similar about my niece. I'm useless at being an uncle and forgot her birthday this year.

I took this photo of her with my cheapo camera that I was really pleased with.

[ 29.05.2009, 09:03: Message edited by: Cherry In Hove ]

mart
oh that's a great photo

I missed my nephew's birthday once as well, which completely vindicated everyone else's opinion about me in the family.

mart
SG5 you have awful, awful plates.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:

Yes, but do you like his phallic butternut squash thing. Actually, is it even phallic or have I got a weird one on me this afternoon?

My neices make me cry. The eldest one is currently going through the assorted, awful, awful processes of family counselling and has been referred to the local CAMS team because she's having some kind of delayed reaction to the whole previous divorce thing and it utterly wrenches something inside me just to think about it, really.

dance margarita
TMO Member
i was going to write something really really teaky then, so id like to thank cherry in hove, for owning plates so bizarrely awful that they have completely excised all thoughts of teakiness from my mind, and mart, for bringing my attention to them JUST IN TIME.

[ 29.05.2009, 09:16: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

mart
teaky?
dance margarita
TMO Member
i cant remember what my original definition of teaky was. children with learning disabilities doing ballet routines is pretty much the archetype of teaky. its things that you kind of want to laugh at but then you feel bad because laughing at them makes you a terrible human being because theyre also sort of beautiful. so actually, what i was about to write wasnt even teaky. it was just pathetic.

--------------------

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I liked them for approximately one meal and then regretted my purchase.
dance margarita
TMO Member
cherry in hoves plates- not teaky. you want to laugh at them, but that wouldnt make you a bad person, because theyre not beautiful.

--------------------

Louche
Can't you send the plates to an Old Plates Home and get some new ones?
dance margarita
TMO Member
they do match though. none of my plates match. and one of my mugs says something about bums on it. 'crunchy bum' or 'slushy bum' or something, something irritatingly nonsensical. it has cartoon characters on it, you know those ones off greeting cards. so i cant really talk.

--------------------

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
We've got matching mugs to those plates and they're the most ridiculous mugs in the world. They are square mugs which sounds like a "clever" and "edgy" idea or something, but it is almost impossible to drink from them.

I don't have a square mouth so I require round cups.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
Can't you send the plates to an Old Plates Home and get some new ones?

I do want to get some new plates, but at the moment I'm trying to be cautious with money and these plates do work as plates so it seems a bit ridiculous to replace them with plates that work in exactly the same way but that will look better in photos.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SG5's horrible plates remind me of an advert for a steering wheel I wrote on another forum:

quote:
The time has come to part company with what may well be the greatest steering wheel ever made.

Let's take a look at the basics:

Type - Steering wheel
Colour - White and chrome
Size - a bit bigger than a dinner plate. A regular dinner plate, mind, not like those real big dinner plates that fatties use. And definitely not those stupid square ones which people buy because they think they're cool to show off at dinner parties where all their dead-eyed guest are all "Oh I do love your square plates, they're so different!" while secretly imagining what you'd look like with a pick-axe stuck in your skull.

Advanced Features:

Bi-directional rotation
- wheel can be used in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions, enabling a complete range of steering angles both left and right. Don't be caught out by cheap steering wheels which only allow you to steer left. This is the real deal and goes both ways.

Circular shape construction - A circle is the most efficient shape for a steering wheel, due to its circulous movement. A circular steering wheel will move freely through the hands, where other shapes such as triangles, star shapes, and dodecahedrons, can tend to cause Palmular Chafing Syndrome.

Horn Push
- Horn-push feature ensures that your horn is ready for action whenever you need it. This easy-to-operate feature is controlled by a circular pad in the centre of the wheel which, when pushed, emits a loud hornlike sound, demonstrating to other road users your awesomeness and superiority.

Extreme JDM-tyteness - Can, in some cases, cause prolonged periods of extreme awesome, increasing your drift skills by a factor of 14.57. Can also improve your sex life. Cures the Seven Signs of Ageing.

Possible bad points

There is a small but noticeable chip in the paint at the bottom of the middle spoke, about 8mm in length. May be touch-uppable, or you can do what I did and just ignore it until you no longer notice it.

Paint is slightly scratched in places. Nothing bad but tends to pick up dirt from your hands and may require occasional cleaning with a cotton-bud or similar.

It sold within ten minutes of being advertised...
Louche
When I bought square plates I sensibly just bought two square plates, to see how I got on with the concept of square plates generally. They're black square plates. They're like something Patrick Bateman would own. And eat salad off. Or perhaps store a kidney on, in his fridge.

I don't really like them much.

I have holiday cottage plates now. They're cheap, chipped and too small for anything other than frugal portions.

sam
TMO Member
He's going to hate you for that photo one day, until he becomes very old and then he will treasure it.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

sam
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
SG5's horrible plates remind me of an advert for a steering wheel I wrote on another forum:

quote:
The time has come to part company with what may well be the greatest steering wheel ever made.

Let's take a look at the basics:

Type - Steering wheel
Colour - White and chrome
Size - a bit bigger than a dinner plate. A regular dinner plate, mind, not like those real big dinner plates that fatties use. And definitely not those stupid square ones which people buy because they think they're cool to show off at dinner parties where all their dead-eyed guest are all "Oh I do love your square plates, they're so different!" while secretly imagining what you'd look like with a pick-axe stuck in your skull.

Advanced Features:

Bi-directional rotation
- wheel can be used in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions, enabling a complete range of steering angles both left and right. Don't be caught out by cheap steering wheels which only allow you to steer left. This is the real deal and goes both ways.

Circular shape construction - A circle is the most efficient shape for a steering wheel, due to its circulous movement. A circular steering wheel will move freely through the hands, where other shapes such as triangles, star shapes, and dodecahedrons, can tend to cause Palmular Chafing Syndrome.

Horn Push
- Horn-push feature ensures that your horn is ready for action whenever you need it. This easy-to-operate feature is controlled by a circular pad in the centre of the wheel which, when pushed, emits a loud hornlike sound, demonstrating to other road users your awesomeness and superiority.

Extreme JDM-tyteness - Can, in some cases, cause prolonged periods of extreme awesome, increasing your drift skills by a factor of 14.57. Can also improve your sex life. Cures the Seven Signs of Ageing.

Possible bad points

There is a small but noticeable chip in the paint at the bottom of the middle spoke, about 8mm in length. May be touch-uppable, or you can do what I did and just ignore it until you no longer notice it.

Paint is slightly scratched in places. Nothing bad but tends to pick up dirt from your hands and may require occasional cleaning with a cotton-bud or similar.

It sold within ten minutes of being advertised...
This is a work of art.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

mart
Who's going to hate who for which photo? And why?

[ 29.05.2009, 09:45: Message edited by: mart ]

mart
While we're all chatting, does anyone have anything good to say about Birmingham? My girlfriend is living there for a few weeks, in Edgbaston, and I keep going down to see her, and the overriding feeling we both get is that the city is, pretty much, awful.
Ringo

I've only really ever seen the inside of the NEC. Which doesn't really give much of an idea about the place. Driftworks are based in Birmingham so that's one plus point I guess. Isn't someone on here from Birmingham? CiH or someone?
mart
Sidderknee used to be from Birmingham, didn't she.
sam
TMO Member
quote:
Who's going to hate who for which photo? And why?

Your photo of your nephew. It is a very beautiful photo and it makes him look beautiful. Small boys rarely find being made to look beautiful and gamin cool. But I had a flight of fancy and imagined him old and wrinkled and looking at the picture with true nostalgia and envy for his former beauty in it.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

sam
TMO Member
Last time I was in Birmingham, it was the seventies. The bike broke down and some coppers helped us fix it. I think times have changed since then.

--------------------
In memory of Alastair

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to Birmingham a couple of times, and from my limited experience I can say that its name seems phonetically correct.

Brrr
Ming
Hmmm

[ 29.05.2009, 10:03: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

mart
Oh well it's only for a few weeks, then off to Nottingham, which I have much more of a handle on, then back to London.
Louche
My sister lived in Wolverhampton for a bit.

It were shit. Also, I once got lost in Wednesbury.

mart
sam - gamin - good word

also - how is your nose

[ 29.05.2009, 10:19: Message edited by: mart ]

Ringo

Birmingham is so shit even Mike Skinner pretends not to be from there
Louche
Also, new street station has shit rules for smoking outside.
mart
It's just not happening for Birmingham, is it.
Louche
It's only plus point is that it's got Sidney in it. And I think she's moved recently.

This topic is comprised of pages: 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+