How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » The original Lunch Club© (Page 42)

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  59  60  61 

Author Topic: The original Lunch Club©
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post 
sorry i get carried away.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
lol, my boss approached me as I was reading that.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Kanye West
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
I'm pretty sure it was Worf that would open hailing frequencies.

you're right.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough I'm on a site where Wil Wheaton is a regular poster.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
That might not be very interesting at all though.
Kanye West
TMO Member
is it wilwheaton.com
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
No it is not.
Kanye West
TMO Member
 -

Captain you wanted to see me?

-

-

-

-

I -

-

-

-

Captain, I'm now picking up a powerful feeling of -

-

Not now, thank you Counsellor

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm pretty sure it was Worf that would open hailing frequencies.

What would happen if Picard asked Data to do it? Say, if Worf was ill, or on a planet or something. Would Data refuse, saying "No, that's not my job". Would that prompt Picard to shout "What is this? A fucking trade union? Open the fucking hailing frequencies, Data, and if you refuse to obey a simple order again I'll load you into the photon missile chamber and fire you into the fucking sun. For fuck's sake."
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
I don't think that would happen as it was quite a family friendly show so I don't think there would be swearing.
Thorn Davis

So something more like "This isn't a union, Commander Data. When I ask you to open hailing frequencies I expect you to do it and if you question my orders again you might find yourself calculating how long your synthetic brain can survive being fired into the centre of the sun."
Thorn Davis

That's just not as good. I know people say that swearing shows a lack of imagination, but that really lacks something.
Thorn Davis

Also, it sounds less like Jean Luc Picard, and more like Arnold Rimmer.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
In the days before the Internet I paid a whole £1 for a floppy disc containing Public Domain applications for the Archimedes. Oddly, it also included a text file of a ST:TNG fanfic that starred Rocky and Bullwinkle.

[Confused]

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
It's unlikely that Data would be asked to do it, to be honest. Data outranks Worf so if Worf was on holiday or something, then a junior bridge officer would be manning his post. Not a senior officer.
MiscellaneousFiles

No lamprey though, iirc.
Thorn Davis

quote:
It's unlikely that Data would be asked to do it, to be honest. Data outranks Worf so if Worf was on holiday or something, then a junior bridge officer would be manning his post. Not a senior officer.

Surely... I mean. If Data was literally standing right next to the console... You know. Sometimes my boss might ask me to pop out and get some milk, and I don't say "no get one of the interns to do it". I mean. He can push a fucking button can't he? What's his problem?
Ringo

I dunno, I just don't see it. Why would he be standing around back there? It's a totally different part of the bridge from the Conn station. Is he just, like, stretching his legs or something? And where's Worf? Who's flying the ship while Data is wandering aimlessly around the bridge? It just doesn't add up.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
if Worf was on holiday

Do they have holidays?
Ringo

Several episodes have revolved around things that have happened while various characters have been on shore-leave
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
He can, but that's going to fuck up the whole hierarchy thing. Imagine it the janitor had broken his leg and Picard walked into the toilet to take a dump and there were skid marks all around the bowl and then Riker walks into the bathroom, Picard isn't going to go "Oh Riker, can you scrub the toilet bowl please so I can crap on a clean toilet". That's going to cause issues as Riker is going to be thinking that cleaning of toilet bowls isn't what he signed up to and resentment will build up.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Why would he be standing around back there? It's a totally different part of the bridge from the Conn station. Is he just, like, stretching his legs or something? And where's Worf? Who's flying the ship while Data is wandering aimlessly around the bridge?

These are all tough questions Picard would have to answer when he gets reprimanded in his annual review. He'd probably just sit and shrug and look at his hands.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Several episodes have revolved around things that have happened while various characters have been on shore-leave

That's true, yes.

I should remember that, as a couple of years ago, Kellifer and I watched every episode of TNG - one a night for a good few months. When we'd finished them, we watched the first episode of DS9. We didn't really bother with Star Trek after that.

Kanye West
TMO Member
picard has a ready room for matters of personal sanitation and comfort, he probably doesn't share his number ones with number one.
Ringo

According to the Star Trek TNG interactive technical manual, there is a toilet for bridge staff towards the back of the bridge ont he left hand side. The door to it is opposite the door to the briefing room.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
He can, but that's going to fuck up the whole hierarchy thing. Imagine it the janitor had broken his leg and Picard walked into the toilet to take a dump and there were skid marks all around the bowl and then Riker walks into the bathroom, Picard isn't going to go "Oh Riker, can you scrub the toilet bowl please so I can crap on a clean toilet". That's going to cause issues as Riker is going to be thinking that cleaning of toilet bowls isn't what he signed up to and resentment will build up.

But asking Riker to clean shit off the bowl is demeaning. You can't compare it.

I dunno. If I was Picard I'd expect people to - like - chip in with things even if they're not strictly within their job parameters and I'd get annoyed if they said they wouldn't. I mean. Riker there is about to have a Lamprey attached onto his anus, and Data is complaining about dialling an external number? Gimme a fucking break.

MiscellaneousFiles

If Star Trek - The Next Generation were a reality TV show, who would you vote off first?
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
Probably Worf. His weird head disturbs me.
Thorn Davis

Racist.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post 
d

[ 15.01.2010, 09:49: Message edited by: Tilde ]

New Way Of Decay

Racist.

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
 -

ensign tilde, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to relieve you of UBB duties.

New Way Of Decay

CiH: well xenophobic.

--------------------

Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:

But asking Riker to clean shit off the bowl is demeaning. You can't compare it.

I dunno. If I was Picard I'd expect people to - like - chip in with things even if they're not strictly within their job parameters and I'd get annoyed if they said they wouldn't. I mean. Riker there is about to have a Lamprey attached onto his anus, and Data is complaining about dialling an external number? Gimme a fucking break.

Not really the point though is it. If your security officer is missing, for no apparent reason, and nobody has seen fit to take up the post (a critical responsibility in terms of shipwide operations), and one of the most senior officers on the bridge is also away from his post - roaming around without a purpose while the ship simply drifts through space without a pilot - then the issue of who opens the fucking hailing frequencies should be the last thing on your mind. There has clearly been a fundamental breakdown in the chain of command. And while we’re mentioning it - why isn’t Riker on the bridge as well? Is it just Picard and Data desperately trying to fill in for the rest of the bridge staff, who have just decided they’ve got better things to do with their day than do their jobs?
Kanye West
TMO Member
Riker was in engineering investigating reports of a breach to the warp core.

This topic is comprised of pages: 61 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  59  60  61 

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+