Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » It's snowing! (Page 15)

This topic is comprised of pages: 17 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Author Topic: It's snowing!
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello lawsuit..
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Hello lawsuit..

well if said monologue is ever published i will ensure that you get a printed acknowledgment of your contribution. More to the point, if its ever actually written you can in turn ensure that there is a runway in the vicinity, so that the monkeys flying out of my butt will have somewhere safe to land.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Ringo

Ok, it's a deal
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm listening to zz top.

[ 07.01.2010, 09:25: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now I'm listening to 'the chain' by fleetwood mac.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to bed last night and pretty much all the snow had melted, woke up this morning to another thick blanket of snow. Bored of it now.

Meant to have my interview at 12 today but I know the woman interviewing me lives out in the country so imagine she won't be able to make it in [Mad]

Ringo

There was still a whole bunch of snow left over from last week here. The trees and bushes weren't snowy but there was still a couple of inches on the ground. We've had maybe another inch overnight.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE've returned to London to discover that we have no hot water.

Getting a new boiler and having it installed is horribly expensive, right?

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had about 2-3 inches of snow on top of the existing icy mush. Probably could've stayed at home. Didn't.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Getting a new boiler and having it installed is horribly expensive, right?

[Frown] YES [Frown]
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone on TMT had to get a new one and their quotes were around £2500 [Frown]
mart
Flipping heck innit.
MiscellaneousFiles

You might not need a whole new boiler though. Do you know how old your boiler is, and when it last had an annual service?
mart
No. But some engineer came to look at it recently (while we were away) and said it was fooked, and we need a new one. "Fault with circuit board and diverter valve. Recommend new boiler due to age and condition."
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also! it might be that your pipes are frozen rather than your boiler being bust. Unless your boiler's bust, that is.

ETA sounds like your boiler's bust.

£2500 sounds quite cheap based on when I spoke to a chap from British Gas on the topic last year...it might have been because they would have needed to re-site my boiler as where it is currently is no longer compliant with whatever safety standards they have in place, so maybe the numbers he gave me were higher than normal.

[ 13.01.2010, 05:30: Message edited by: H1ppychick ]

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

mart
Yeah, from the little I've read about it, the price seems to vary from about 800 quid to literally thousands and thousands, due to all sorts of new regulations that may or may not apply to your house, your boiler, etc.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
Went to bed last night and pretty much all the snow had melted, woke up this morning to another thick blanket of snow. Bored of it now.

Same here, except it hadn't really melted from before. Haven't had a mail service for over a week now. Council aren't picking up the rubbish. Also the bus service seems to finally be falling apart, so had to walk most of the way in. Bah.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by H1ppychick:
£2500 sounds quite cheap based on when I spoke to a chap from British Gas on the topic last year...

British Gas a total rip off for this sort of thing. They quoted us £7,000, against quotes of £4,000 from reputable local firms. They send a nice, friendly, suited rep to quote, who creams off a whole lot of profit for BG and then effectively subcontracts the work to a local tradesman.

quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Yeah, from the little I've read about it, the price seems to vary from about 800 quid to literally thousands and thousands, due to all sorts of new regulations that may or may not apply to your house, your boiler, etc.

Yes, for example we had to have our flue extended and bent back over the roof of our property because it's now illegal for a flue to extend over someone else's land.

Make sure your installer is *Gas Safe registered!

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had 3in of snow last night in Bristol on top of about 2in of last week's remnants, but it's not particularly cold today and forecast to warm up over the next few days so it should hopefully disappear more quickly than previously.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flip. We got a new combi boiler and radiators in all rooms fitted for about £1500 or so, maybe 7 years ago though.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
That seems very cheap. Did you fly Brian in from Massachusetts?
Kanye West
TMO Member
wrong place

[ 13.01.2010, 06:12: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the snow's pretty manageable over here, yuh. what is not manageable is that there are HOLES IN MY WELLIES. but im not going out like those chumps slip- sliding away down hills and dales, no way. i will take wet feet over a bruised coccyx, yes sir. but still, were you looking for all the bullshit? its over here, i have it.

hey benway where is the link to your hangover spotify playlist? i am not hungover, but i am rattled and discombob and all kinds of wrong- headed so i need the healing power of music.

[ 13.01.2010, 08:51: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

dance margarita
TMO Member
also, my boiler isnt even fucked and i still havent had an actual hot bath for a week; the landlord doesnt like switching it on for longer than about two milliseconds a day and is obviously a stranger to the concept of lagging. so its a kettle for my hair and a lick and a promise for the rest of me. im sure im not as stank as i feel, but i feel pretty stank. and i have wet feet. BULLSHIT! UNCOMMON BULLSHIT!

[ 13.01.2010, 08:54: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

mart
quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
hey benway where is the link to your hangover spotify playlist?

http://open.spotify.com/user/benway3000/playlist/2mHTJUaN7F3pnoGcBzjTc6
dance margarita
TMO Member
cheers ears.

--------------------

dance margarita
TMO Member
jesus this playlist really is exactly like having a hangover, except without the 'having an actual hangover' part. well done, lads.

eta: i mean that in a good way. its a good hangover. one of those ones where you want to go window- shopping, eat loads of really complex sandwiches and then watch the collected works of michel gondry on dvd whilst wearing unnecessarily cosy socks.

[ 13.01.2010, 09:45: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
it's a journey through panic, pain, depression, nausea, discomfort, a throbbing pitiful heart, then a moment of premature optimism when you 'give in' and stop fighting it, then a spangly fitful half-sleep as the painkillers kick in, a disturbing and submissive dreamscape of memories colliding across timelines that never existed, then a feeling of slight rebirth, a new interest in the human world as you look at it through new eyes, then relief and a re-embracing of the self, then going too far the other way and viewing the world with slightly rose tinted specs, then finally, getting your shit together and leaving the flat to go out and do it again.

[ 13.01.2010, 09:51: Message edited by: Kanye West ]

dance margarita
TMO Member
oh no, my version doesnt have any of the bad bits at the beginning. its a full- on dizzy sunny spangle of a hangover, the kind where youre standing in a shop and the dude's waiting for you to pay but you cant get your head round the concept of coins or basic arithmetic but thats okay because hes not in a hurry and neither are you and actually hes kind of cute anyway and youre having a little moment the two of you, laughing about it all. 'coins! so confusing! heads gone wrong! you know what its like!' youve got a bagel in your handbag and the sun's shining and you dont remember much about the night before but noone gave you the stinkeye in the morning so thats no enormobiggie. youll check your mobile sent messages at some point but the idea's not looming. later you might call a special someone and get some lovin, but first of all there are newspapers to be read, fat- laden yiddish foodstuffs to be eaten, and a world of adventures to be, kind of, thought about a bit tangentially.

full disclosure: i didnt have that hangover much after 1999. im dealing in the kind of hangover a girl can safely get nostalgic about.

[ 13.01.2010, 10:08: Message edited by: dance margarita ]

--------------------

dance margarita
TMO Member
actually i got diverted by the ride track and am now listening to going blank again so that might be why ive just written the chipperest hangover in the world ever. fucking hell, ride were good werent they.

--------------------

Kanye West
TMO Member
that track especially is fucking tip top.
Kanye West
TMO Member
I think that the first few tracks - ryoji ikeda, Gobil, and the Blur track all sum up the beginning quite well. The first one - ryoji ikeda - is actually supposed to be the hangover before you've opened your eyes, and are still in bed, going through a systems test, discovering multiple problems.
Kanye West
TMO Member
the ride track is a kind of self-pitying moment or pain, tinged with a resolution to try and beat it.
MiscellaneousFiles

The Nicorette® Inhalator looks like some sort of gynaecalogical instrument. It's unnerving.
Kanye West
TMO Member
the playlist is designed for a fairly severe hangover, I'd say a 7 or above on the scale of 10, where 10 is alcohol poisoning and long term brain damage, and one is a moment of slight tiredness the next morning that you don't even register as a hangover.

This topic is comprised of pages: 17 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+