Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Life » Pre-Novemberists (Page 4)

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Pre-Novemberists
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben, did that copy of The Torture Memos ever turn up?
ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did - I'm sorry I never thanked you. Thanks. I read the introduction and several of the documents - unfortunately I'd just read Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine so was a bit tortured out.

Came to the conclusion last year that I made a pretty bad judgement call on the Iraq War - as anyone who read any of my posts from or after that period might remember.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you've probably read more of it than anyone else in the country. Not one of our bigger sucesses.
ben

Well worth doing, though - particularly as large parts of the media in this country explicitly support torture.

Christ that's a depressing thought.

ben

-
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Well worth doing, though - particularly as large parts of the media in this country explicitly support torture.

Christ that's a depressing thought.

We've done a 'better' torture book since then. Letters To My Torturer. The author is a pretty nice bloke. You get a phone call from him and he's like "How's it going?" and you're like, well my bike got a puncture on the way in, and my boss is asking me for some stuff that I've forgotten to do, and it's a pretty shitty day, but you can't really say that to someone who was tortured for seven years. But, on the flipside, if you say "yeah, I'm having a really good day" it sound like you're gloating. So I tend to just hang up.

Also, in some ways the author reminds me of Mart. An Iranian Mart. So once you make this connection, it reads like someone's forcing Mart to bark like a dog, eat his own faeces, drink bleach etc etc, which makes it even harder to stomach.

ben

'someone' = an Iranian Paul McKenna?
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done two of those three things, but, you know, mustn't grumble.
Thorn Davis

I remember that meat.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like this guy is playing up the torture a bit.

"boohoo, they made me bark like a dog"

My daughter likes me to bark like a dog, she finds it funny. You don't find me running off to Amnesty International in the hopes of getting a bestseller.

mart
No, no, I honestly didn't mind. It wasn't that bad at all.
mart
As for the rest, gargling with Dettol really helps.
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
You don't find me running off to Amnesty International in the hopes of getting a bestseller.

If the sales of this book were anything to go by, your hopes would be ill-founded.

[ 16.11.2010, 11:20: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Thorn Davis

In other dog-related publishing news, How To Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog is doing absolute gangbusters.

It seems that the British public prefers dogs to torture. As marketing manager, it's my job to spot these kinds of trends, even if - like this one - they seem counter-intuitive.

Thorn Davis

Do Llamas Fall In Love, on the other hand is falling somewhere between the two. So, if I were to rate things the Britons like, it would go.

1. Dogs
2. Llamas
3. Torture

mart
My girlfriend brought a Maeve Binchy novel home from work for me the other day, saying, "here, I thought you'd like this".

It was actually quite good.

Thorn Davis

Fuck Maeve Binchy.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry In Hove:
You don't find me running off to Amnesty International in the hopes of getting a bestseller.

If the sales of this book were anything to go by, your hopes would be ill-founded.
Well, from your analysis it sounds like the British public like their books a bit more playful than straight torture, so perhaps a book about a 30 something white male playing games with his daughter would be something that would become a Christmas bestseller.
mart
What sort of games?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you lot keep the noise down a bit, yeah?
ben

The Saw series proves that the British public have a hearty appetite for gruelling depictions of torture. If we add the thirtysome white male, his daughter, and set it in Iran... ta-daa! - mass entertainment with a social conscience. In 3D.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
What sort of games?

Building towers, knocking down towers. Hiding under a blanket then pulling it off and saying "Boo!", making a wolf and a rat puppet play the piano. All sorts of stuff that I think would be up there with the latest Dan Brown novel for excitement.
mart
I remember that meat.
Thorn Davis

quote:
The Saw series proves that the British public have a hearty appetite for gruelling depictions of torture. If we add the thirtysome white male, his daughter, and set it in Iran... ta-daa! - mass entertainment with a social conscience. In 3D.

Like one of them Magic Eye books from the nineties? This might save my job!
mart
By the way, I'm living in Stratford-upon-Avon for the moment, if anyone's interested.

Fun times so far. It has a really terrific cheese shop.

Thorn Davis

Fuck Stratford-Upon-Avon.
Thorn Davis

It's a screaming hell-hole, no different to the marketplace in Black Hawk Down, after everything kicks off.

[ 16.11.2010, 12:07: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Thorn Davis

Except with more Shakespeare related gift shops.
Thorn Davis

I just did an image search for 'Stratford Upon Avon Nights':

-

How freakin' bored do the guys look in this picture?

mart
I think that's me right at the back. Drinking bleach.
ben

I found Black Hawk Down quite a queasy experience - you know, heroic white dudes machine-gunning lots of nasty black men. It had a real underside-of-ballsack kind of odour to it.

Saw III was on a few weeks back and I enjoyed that a lot more then BHD. Especially the scene with the liquidised pigs, which strongly resembled the photo above.

[ 16.11.2010, 12:20: Message edited by: ben ]

mart
That pic is actually of the inside of an RSC battlecopter moments before it was shot down and crahsed near the rowing boats on the river. We spent all that night holed up at the Brass Rubbing Centre before the verger from Holy Trinity Church came to our rescue, guiding us back to the river bank. We made our getaway using the hand-cranked chain ferry to cross the river and reach the safety of the Butterfly Farm on the opposite bank, just past the visitor centre. We had to live on little dishes of syrupy water until fresh supplies of tea and jam scones were flown in.

Crazy times.

Thorn Davis

^Thorn Davis likes this post
ben

lol - vivid.
Thorn Davis

quote:

Came to the conclusion last year that I made a pretty bad judgement call on the Iraq War - as anyone who read any of my posts from or after that period might remember.

I predicted this U-Turn back in 2008

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
After the Tories win the next election Ben will turn up in an Al Queada video, trussed up to a chair begging David Cameron to pull whatever strings it takes to get him out and declaring that anyone who supported this awful war is "shit-thick cattle".

This topic is comprised of pages: 6 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+