Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Rants » put your job rant here (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: put your job rant here
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
Spending half your summer holiday working sounds bad, because for most people a summer holiday is five days, maybe ten if you're willing to sacrifice some holiday elsewhere. As a teacher, surely working half your summer holiday still gives you three whole weeks.

Hmm, is that really true? I get 26 days holiday a year, which certainly allows more than one week for a summer holiday. Perhaps that's unusual, I don't know...

If you read my post a bit more closely, you'll see that I mentioned his holidays were spent writing lesson plans AND that the timetable took about half of the summer holiday. That doesn't mean half of the holiday was free. Yes, we used to go away for a week, but both parents were pretty busy for the rest of the time. It wasn't uncommon for the marking to come on holiday with us.

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
But describing a normal set of working hours with a sense of outrage seems to miss the point a bit.

I was trying to point out that, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, a teacher's day doesn't finish when the bell rings at 3:30pm, and those long holidays aren't quite as appealing as they might seem.

My job doesn't require me to take work home. Each night when I leave the office at 5:30pm, my time is my own. My weekends and holidays are my own. I can switch off and not have to think about work, and that's something I'd find pretty difficult to give up.

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are teachers paid as 12 month employees there then? Here they only get paid 10 months of the year, so there is no way a teacher would do that much on the summer holidays.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe they are. If it helps, my step-mum was enjoying an afternoons worth of 'work' yesterday when I called to see how she was enjoying her holiday.

In other news my step-mum has become some kind of turbo athlete. She recently cycled from John O'Scrotes, climbed a mountain on the way down to Wales, then climbed Snowdon when she got there. I feel utterly fucking ashamed of myself because I used the lift earlier to go one floor.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not really news I know. But to be fair 'dudes step-mum does exercise' isn't really any less valid a headline than 'Paris Hilton in latest snatch-flash-o-rama'

--------------------

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did your stepmum flash her snatch? If not, then there is a definite reduction in headlineliness.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

New Way Of Decay

Is that how you measure things that are good. The snatchitude?

--------------------

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's already the de facto standard measurement in some circles.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you measure how good things are by their ability to get headlines?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
do you measure how good things are by their ability to get headlines?

No. I user the Nero system.

--------------------

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still sell the Big Issue and have done on and off since June 2006. Being in London though I find if I use chatrooms and message boards a lot then people from the net recognise me when I am selling it and come up and buy it off me.

It is great when every once in a while someone comes up to me and says something like: "Hey you're steelgate off Lycos chat on ther internet aren't you? I recognise you from your photo on there. I'll buy a copy please."

Something like that really makes my day. Otherwise the job is totally crap and boring as hell.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+