Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Boots (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Boots
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Advice please. I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. Over the past few years I've worn out a fair few pairs of boots. 1 pair of Gelert Hunt, 1 pair of Merrell hiking/cross-trainers, 1 pai of Timberlands, 1 pair of Caterpillars and 2 pairs of DMs. The Merrell were the most comfortable and the Caterpillars lasted the longest. The last two pairs of DMs I've had were shit and fell to bits in no time. I walk a lot and I'm not good to my footwear. I'm looking for a pair of comfortable, hardwearing walking boots for urban and rural pursuits. Any advice on brands I should avoid? Any dreamlike footwear you could recommend?

Thank you, in anticipation.

--------------------
sweet

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Good boots.

[ 15.09.2004, 05:53: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find them then these were the most comfortable, hardest wearning and best looking boots I ever had the pleasure to own:

Red Wing

-

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Boy Racer
Jinx.

--------------------

Black Mask

Hmmm, Redwing. They look good. The ones with the white soles look like butch Kickers.

--------------------
sweet

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Different picture, same boot choice.

Hard to find in Holland though, are they easier to come by in the UK ?

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Boy Racer
I can't speak for the rest of the UK, but they do tend to be stocked in at least one of the better footwear shops around Covent Garden at all times.

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Maybe I'll have a look on Monday as I'm in London for meetings, I have until lunchtime free so..

--------------------

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, go on! Please?
 -

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

StevieX
Gimmie the keys, I'll drive
 - posted      Profile for StevieX           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to add my endorsement to the chorus of approval for Redwing boots, though I am a mite miffed that others beat me to it - I've often thought of them as my 'sole preserve'.

--------------------
i wrote for luck - they sent me you

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by StevieX:
I've often thought of them as my 'sole preserve'.

Ouch!

I'd stick to '.' Stevie. [Wink]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

StevieX
That was a bit fucked up, eh? It wasn't *intended* as a pun; rather to indicate my surprise at finding other Redwing enthusiasts. In twisted Stevieworld style, I somehow thought that the quotes would distract attention from the appalling (accidental) pun. Oh well.

'.' was one of my better contributions.

--------------------

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
How about these?

-

And while on the subject, should I buy these ones? I like the black/white thingumy, but I think they are a little chunky...

-

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I've seen blackenwhite ones like that but minus the chunkiness, Abby.

I haven't replaced my DMs since I came back from Oz. I've had a pair of DMs that were my default footwear since I was 13. Does this mean I've grown up or something now?

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently wearing a pair of 1994 Doctor Martens Eight Hole Boots. I've had them on since I was sixteen and they still don't smell. Sadly they do have cracks and holes in their backs and soles but I wear them regardless, come rain or shine.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
I'm currently wearing a pair of 1994 Doctor Martens Eight Hole Boots. I've had them on since I was sixteen and they still don't smell. Sadly they do have cracks and holes in their backs and soles but I wear them regardless, come rain or shine.

Ten years wear and you expect that. That's fair, they're work boots. I think 1998 or 99 must've been the last decent batch. I don't know if they started making them out of crepe paper then, or started assembling them with Pritt Stick, but they're fucking rubbish now.

--------------------
sweet

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
quote:
I'm sure I've seen blackenwhite ones like that but minus the chunkiness, Abby.

So have I! But not if you are a horribly deformed mutant with enormofreak feet (size 8).

Though I would be interested in any information regarding location of said shoes incase wherever it is has supersize.

New Way Of Decay

I was trying to look for the model of New Rock boots I own but could not find them. I couldn't find the other boots that were knee length and purple by New Rock either. I wanted to mix and match the boots but was unsure that I would slightly like a Slaneeshi Noise Marine.

I did find these little babies though;

-

[ 15.09.2004, 09:49: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

2@
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for 2@           Edit/Delete Post 
Timberland classics are actually completely indestructible - mine have lasted the best part of 15 years of heavy outdoor use, and I haven't even changed the sole yet. They're very comfortable too.

The downside is that you'll need baggy jeans, a nickel-plated AK, some fly bitchaz and a crack habit to fit in with the rest of today's Timberland wearing population (at least those who appear in my locality).

-sigh-. Kidz, eh?

[ 15.09.2004, 10:11: Message edited by: 2@ ]

--------------------
Spirito di Munto

philomel
writes bad poetry on walls
 - posted      Profile for philomel           Edit/Delete Post 
The black and white chunk shoes are good, and rather carry a hint of Vivienne Westwood-esque stomp 'n' strut. I would like shoes with big fat heels but as my legs are dwarf-length and my feet are midget they only succeed in making me look foolish, with trotter-toes. This summer I haven't even touched my 5" scarlet wedges. :sad:

--------------------
the more brilliant her smile, the closer she always seemed to disaster

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
quote:
hint of Vivienne Westwood-esque stomp 'n' strut.
Oooh...yes...a convincing argument...though Im not convinced I can walk in heels that high.
New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
I would be interested in any information regarding location of said shoes incase wherever it is has supersize.

Are you only allowed to purchase them if they offer you a supersize pair? Will you document the footage then be all supersmarm and humble that you proved the world that too-small shoes reduce your feet to nubs? Will you release it worldwide as Superbind Me?

--------------------

StevieX
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Ten years wear and you expect that. That's fair, they're work boots. I think 1998 or 99 must've been the last decent batch. I don't know if they started making them out of crepe paper then, or started assembling them with Pritt Stick, but they're fucking rubbish now.

They're all made in China now, innit?

DM Industrials, with a proper steel toecap, were long made in a separate factory from the slightly flimsy "Fashion Docs" which seemed to become the norm from about 1989 onwards. Flimsy Docs seemed to get flimsier by the year; I bought my final pair in 1990. My most recent pair of Industrials (still Northampton-made long after the reswt of the production had shifted east), by contrast, are only just starting to become broken-in after nearly 3 years of constant wear.

--------------------

StevieX
And if you clean your Docs regularly with DUBBIN (never polish!!!), the leather doesn't crack. Ever. That's DUBBIN.

D
U
B
B
I
N

-

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
D U B B I N might be the answer to our leather problems, but surely it can't help our soles.

Third hook from the left, cheers.

Black Mask

quote:

Ah.

quote:
DM Industrials

These sound the shit. How d'you know you're getting bona British boots?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:

D
U
B
B
I
N

Yes. I dubbin. And I black polish my Oxbloods so they look like mahogany.

--------------------
sweet

Lucid
It's six o'clock somewhere,
I'm having crisps !
 - posted      Profile for Lucid           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Ah.

quote:
DM Industrials

Sir Sir! I know this one (buttocks lifting from chair). Saw a prog about this - DM only refers to the sole. That's the only bit that is the Doctor Martin bit, the uppers can be made of any old shite. The soles used to be made in the UK, now all made in China, the uppers can be made anywhere. I had a pair of DMs, lasted bloody years, next pair (c1990) lasted three months, this was just after DM sold the licence to make the soles to all unsundry - so DM's no longer came as a package, uppers of high quality and shit kicking soles.
HTH..

--------------------
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...

StevieX
quote:
quote:

Ah.

quote:
DM Industrials

'Made In England' stamped on all moving and non-moving parts. Available from most good Army & Navy Stores.

--------------------

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
These should be good for when you're strutting about town, Barry:

-

[ 15.09.2004, 14:29: Message edited by: Sidney ]

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

ally
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for ally           Edit/Delete Post 
For the boys - I own a pair of Salomon walking boots which have provided me with five years of sterling service and are still going strong. I don't wear then regularly though - country yomps only. Mr Ally will only wear Hi-teks, which you can get supercheap from www.sportsshoes.com

For the girls - those fetish brogues are sweet. Sadly I'm utterly inept in heels. I would fall over, spectacularly and in a very public place. I dream of gorgeous shoes, but I could only wear them if I'm provided with a matching chauffeur-driven red-carpet lifestyle where you don't have to walk anywhere. Abby, if you can walk in that sort of thing, you should definitely get them. They'd look great with a pair of black or pinstriped trousers, or a dress.

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post 
A vote for Merrells here. My current pair have lasted two and a half years, including 6 months daily abuse in A+E, a load of bike miles, walking miles, round town miles and every sporting event I've been to.

They're only going now - still structurally sound - because after a bke ride in a thunderstorm a few days ago, I stupidly left them wet. They have contracted a pedal supersmellybug which is resistant to 1) three times round the washing machine 2) being left out in more healthy cleansing rain and 3) being shouted at.

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Black Mask,

I would recommend that for the benefit of your manly feet, you purchase a pair of these:

-

I purchased a pair of these and have, as they say, never looked back. Though that is mainly because they're so heavy that to do so could possibly have caused permanent disabilitating back trauma. I do find that after the first few wears, one is left with gigantic abraded holes in one's heels. The generally accepted solution to this is to soldier on as though one were in the trenches at the Somme and had no other boot option. Or to purchase a large tube of polyfilla to repair one's heels. However, aesthetically, when teamed with both corn plasters and comedy flourescent fishnet stockings, the results are highly pleasing. One also finds they are extremely useful in the social pursuits of pulling a transexual and getting ribald sexual abuse from a bus-full of Leeds teens. I feel such a ringing endorsement as this can only persuade you to favour the newrock look, and as such, patiently await my 10% commission.

Thank you
Sad-Holding-Onto-Her-Teens
Manchester

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
quote:
They'd look great with a pair of black or pinstriped trousers, or a dress.
Or....nothing!!11!!11

I can also recomend NewRocks...but not for wholesome outdoor activities.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
...infact NewRocks are good for getting hassle from teens everywhere. I was in Caerphilly one time (dont ask) when the local yoof decided they were a source of great amusement. I discovered that even when hassling a lone woman in a badly lit car park, at night, it is impossible to appear even slightly threatening if you have a Welsh accent.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+