TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Bush is out!

Author Topic: Bush is out!
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. Thanks to the wonderful Green Bay Packers, Bush is going to lost the election this year.

The last 15 elections, is the Washington Redskins won their last home game before the election, the party in power stayed in power, however if they lost their last home game, then the opposition gained control. Source!

And, the Packers beat the Redskins 28-14.

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous. This means I don't have to bother with voting, right?
froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, being as we're both in Massachusetts, our votes won't really matter all that much - it's not as if Kerry is even at the remotest risk of losing here. If only we could vote somewhere our votes might affect the balance, like New Hampshire, Ohio, Florida, etc.

But then again, I suppose Republicans in the deep south probably feel the same way, and I wouldn't want them to try to vote here. (This actually wouldn't be a concern - I don't expect the average voter in Alabama could spell Massachusetts, let alone find it on a map. Advantage: Yankees!)

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
I was previously unaware how close nearly all U.S. elections have been since WWII. Close as in percentage of overall votes that is.

The nice BBC people explain it all here

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
Throughout the election, I've found Slate the most sane and informed news source and they're tilting heavily towards Kerry, both in terms of desirability and likelihood.

I think they're right on the first count but wrong on the second. Last night Peter Oborne presented a fascinating programme about the charade of US democracy: he argued that because most States are firm one way or the other, and because of the 'winner takes all' nature of the electoral college, the result hangs on the votes of a tiny - as low as 0.14% of the electorate - minority of ignorant fuckwits ... hence the whole campaign is aimed at them and dictated by their attention span/interest threshold.

I can't imagine anyone who saw it coming away feeling anything other than profoundly depressed about the current contest. It was notable that Oborne, though a right-winger by UK lights, was most shocked by the bigotry, extremism and dishonesty of the Bush campaign - the failings of the Kerry camp seemed pretty small beer by comparison.

I don't know. It would nice to imagine that a Kerry victory might allow for a new direction in US foreign and environmental policy. But I think Bush is going to keep hold. I'd be interested to hear others' similarly foolhardy 'predictions'.

My guesstimate: Bush/Cheney 04 - FOUR MORE YEARS.

-
Goodnight! Goodnight children everywhere! Try not to have nightmares!

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
i have become mildly obsessed by all the programmes and articles about how 'the world's greatest democracy' is an utter sham, and how the 'leader of the free world' is a fundamentalist Christian chimp, and how it seems that anyone voting for him must be either retarded to a significant degree, or brainwashed by evils.

Last night's Peter Oborne depresso-hour was especially disheartening. Especially when bush voters trotted out the 'fact' that had been drummed into their vacuous heads that dubya is 'keeping our children safe'. How, exactly? There hasn't been a terrorist attack for three years, the man supposedly behind it has not been captured and, by the way, THAT MAN WASN'T SADDAM. You FUCKNUTS.

There's some extreme conspiracy theory that Bush was planted there by the Saudi's to help protect their interests in the States, and that Osama BL is in on the whole deal. At the moment this wouldn't susprise me.

Though there are moments of amusement with thousands of rednecks holding up placards reading 'Bush'. What next? 'Minge'? 'Muff'?

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
There's some extreme conspiracy theory that Bush was planted there by the Saudi's to help protect their interests in the States, and that Osama BL is in on the whole deal. At the moment this wouldn't susprise me.

I wish President Palmer were in office. [Frown]
ben

Also: given that Bush has been such an absolute gift to cartoonists like Steve Bell and Nicholas Garland, why is it that tv's 'top' impression shows (Bremner and Dead Ringers) should be such laugh-free wastelands of hectoring crap?

Couldn't we please have a break from such programmes? Especially the ones where post-alternative comedians think it's such a hoot to black up?

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
Kerry needs to win to start to put a stop to what Bush has done, though he isn't the person to actually do any good... It's just better than Bush.

Democrates couldn't get anyone worthwhile to run this year, so they put up Kerry and hoped his JFK-esque looks and charm would win it, rather than being a strong leader.

Unfortantantly, most Americans know that he wouldn't make a good president so the only people that are voting for him are the people that also realise that another 4 years of Bush would definitly be 'bad'. I'm sorry to say though that the people who are voting for 'NO BUSH' is slightly less in numbers than those who would vote for Bush anyway. Bush will win, narrowily like last time, but he'll win none-the-less.

Rumour has it that Hillary is going to run next time. If that happens, I'm almost positive she'll be the first woman president... Which will be good.

I voted for Kerry in absentee ballot, but thanks to the outdated Electoral College, my vote will be pretty much usless since New York almost always votes Democrat... So, whether there is a 99% majority for a party or 51%, it doesn't matter what my vote does. It's those in Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin that need to pull up their socks and realise that Bush is bad.

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:

No way man, then we'd have to deal with that psyco Sherry... Wayne is no prince either!

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Couldn't we please have a break from such programmes?

Have you tried turning the TV off?
ben

So all you have to do is bury your head in the sand and society's problems cease to exist. But you know what, Mart? That's exactly what *they* want you to believe.

-
"We've all just signed new six-figure contracts thanks to the jaded lassitude of people like Mart. Thanks Mart!"

[ 02.11.2004, 06:24: Message edited by: ben ]

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
Rumour has it that Hillary is going to run next time. If that happens, I'm almost positive she'll be the first woman president... Which will be good.

Do you think that the american public is ready to vote for woman? It'd be a brave move for the democrats to put her forward. My learned politics teacher once told me that he'd "surely be dead before a woman became president of the United States". I guess there's four years.

quote:

No way man, then we'd have to deal with that psyco Sherry... Wayne is no prince either! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Just out of interest, do you think voters would ever back a blacke presidential candidate, when there are so many perfectly good WASPs out there?

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that crap comedy shows are one of "society's problems", Ben, but your comment serves my point, which is that people in Britain seem to watch a hell of a lot of telly. When, y'know, they could be doing, like, other stuff.

This in itself may be indicative of other things: crap weather, excessive workload leading to a nation capable only of vegetating on the sofa, inevitable westernised slide towards the TV ruling our life, etc. etc. etc.

Or maybe not. I don't know.

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My learned politics teacher once told me that he'd "surely be dead before a woman became president of the United States". I guess there's four years.

But Margaret Thatcher said that a woman would never be prime minister in her lifetime, and look at the mess that landed us all in.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by SilverGinger5:
But Margaret Thatcher said that a woman would never be prime minister in her lifetime, and look at the mess that landed us all in.

Now I have an image in my mind of an aging Mr King in drag (earrings, necklace, pastel skirt & jacket), running for the presidency. I think he'd make a better job of it than Bush. Then again, I think he still refers to blacke people as "negroes"...

[ 02.11.2004, 06:52: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

ben

Sorry. I was being bathetic. [Frown]
Modge
Too cool to post
 - posted      Profile for Modge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do you think that the american public is ready to vote for woman? It'd be a brave move for the democrats to put her forward.

I think that Hillary would stand a better chance than probably any other female candidate because her husband is a known quantity and still seemingly quite a popular guy. I think this would make a real difference to some voters.

quote:

Just out of interest, do you think voters would ever back a blacke presidential candidate, when there are so many perfectly good WASPs out there?

Yes, but whenever "ever" will be, I don't know. Probably when Will Smith stands as a candidate in 2016. I think it will happen after the first female president certainly.
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In me heart of hearts... I think that America will have several women presidents before the first black president.

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

MiscellaneousFiles

Maybe the americans could vote in a token blacke woman. That would kill both birds with one stone. If they ensure that she makes a crap prez, then they'll have a great excuse never to vote in blackes or womans again.

So who's the ideal candidate?

[ 02.11.2004, 08:27: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
OMG. OMG. Is that why Michael Moore's forever wanking up Opera Winfrey? OMG.
Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
Opera? Opera was a mistake. But better, I think.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Fionnula the Cooler:
Is that why Michael Moore's forever wanking up Opera Winfrey?

Yeah, he reckons that if he wanks up her enough, nobody would notice she's blacke, hence improving her election chances.

This post was designed to work on approximately two (2) levels.

MiscellaneousFiles

How about this lady?

-

Not only is she both black and female, she's got jewish ancestry and has been heavily involved with the promotion of same-sex marriage!

BlackVote: CHECK!
PinkVote: CHECK!
LadyVote: CHECK!
JewVote: CHECK!

Covering that many so-called 'minorities', she's almost guaranteed to become president!

ben

quote:
Originally posted by Modge:
I think that Hillary would stand a better chance than probably any other female candidate because her husband is a known quantity and still seemingly quite a popular guy. I think this would make a real difference to some voters.

Hillary is much too divisive a figure - regarded almost as worse than Clinton himself (Lady Macbeth style) by a lot of people. Good article here arguing that more Republicans than Democrats want Hillary to run as her candidacy would have such a galvanising effect on GOP voters.

Current female front runners imho are Oprah and Condi Rice (in spite as much as because of her Bush connection) - but that's looking ahead to at least 2012...

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you think that the american public is ready to vote for woman? It'd be a brave move for the democrats to put her forward. My learned politics teacher once told me that he'd "surely be dead before a woman became president of the United States". I guess there's four years.

My thinking is the first woman president will be a conservative. Hillary is far too polarizing a figure in American politics, and in my view is unelectable as President for this reason. She's simply made too many enemies among the frothy-mouthed conservative far right to be a viable candidate.

Back to this year - I'm cautiously optimistic, though my vote, as with Sabian's, is just one cast into the pool of an almost assured Kerry electoral win in our respective states.

Here, I'll even go on record with a prediction (you can play with the electoral tallies here:

-

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverGinger5:

Going to this tonight. Should be interesting.

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

ben

quote:
Lord Bell Tim Bell
Charles Moore
The Rt.Hon Sir John Nott
Billy Bragg
Sir Peregrine Worsthorne
Diane Abbott

-
 -
 -

Atta girl, Scrawnster. Allah-hu-akbar!

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
UNfortunately I'm being paid to attend, and to run round with a microphone while posh people slap my buttocks and shout that they didn't notice anyone getting poorer under Thatcher, thankyou very much. [Frown]

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+