email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » U.S. Army : Rise of the Machines

Author Topic: U.S. Army : Rise of the Machines
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
*The In 2005, the U.S. Army will deploy robots mounted with M240 or M249 machine guns, and even rocket launchers.

-

quote:
Unlike most robots, the machine gun-mounted Talon won't be autonomous. People will guide it via radio commands or fiber networks and then have full control over the gun.

"Driving, observing and shooting are always done with a man in the loop," the Foster-Miller spokesman said. "The labs like autonomy, but the users themselves always like to have control."

But for how long?
Are you afraid of this mechanical menace?
Will they replace army troops, or even the police one day?

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The T-800 (full name: Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800) was to be the ultimate weapon devised by the military supercomputer Skynet to be used against the remaining human resistance. It was thought that a machine designed to the specifications of the human skeleton and subsequently wrapped in specially grown flesh, would be able to infiltrate military structures disguised as a human and, subsequently, terminate human life from within the outpost. Every aspect of this android is geared toward infiltration without detection. Not only does it look human, but it sweats, smells, and can even mimic specific human voices perfectly.

Other models of assassin created by Cyberdyne include the T-1000, the T-800, the T-600, and the T-X...

The first incarnation of the terminator was the T-600 series, which possessed rubber skin. However, these were detected easily.

They're the least of our worries, misc.

disclaimer: I'm really sorry about this offensively shit joke. I've got low blood sugar this morning

[ 02.12.2004, 05:05: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we should all think about buying dogs. And Plasma rifles...

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
Great - so now even more opputunities for Blue on Blue incidents. Unless your operator is sitting behind a 48" full colour screen and the robot has 360 degree vision with very high powered camera systems, are you convinced they are going to identify an enemy as easily as they would with the human eye and a pair of decent binoculars?

I don't know if its just because of the greater scope of reporting in modern conflicts, or perhaps because armed forces are becoming more dependant on high technology systems, but recent conflicts do seem to show an alarming growth in accidental shootings of friendly troops. And fantastic equipment like these new robots only perhaps add for another reason to blame such incidents upon - perhaps the main force behind installing them (don't tell me the US Military are trying to preserve human life?)

I don't think it will happen - well maybe for a while, but first chance that Bush puts a battalion of crawling robots over an Iraqi desert and they all start falling over, bumping into eachother and crawling at 2mph while a bunch of poor rebels with an AK47 which cost them about $6 start picking them off like fish in a barrel, then they will get withdrawn.

Another factor that goes to back up the idea that the US Military prize kit over training.

[ 02.12.2004, 04:56: Message edited by: Waynster ]

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

MiscellaneousFiles

Thanks for your replies.

Let's face it, if the americans are developing this technology, it won't be five minutes before someone sells it to the other side. They'll take the idea and make it cheaper and more flexible. Soon, we'll see another attack on america. This time, homemade swimming robots with AK47s sellotaped to their heads will invade the shores, scaring the shit out of the armed forces, until the Americans blow themselves up with worry.

My Name Is Joe
That's Mister Minge to you..
 - posted      Profile for My Name Is Joe           Edit/Delete Post 
What's that expression, 'The British equip the man, the Americans man the equipment'?
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by My Name Is Joe:
What's that expression, 'The British equip the man, the Americans man the equipment'?

But what happens when the equipment can destroy the man?
Waynster

quote:

I had not heard that one, but very apt indeed.

--------------------

My Name Is Joe
That's Mister Minge to you..
 - posted      Profile for My Name Is Joe           Edit/Delete Post 
Then we go down Waynster's road - the only thing you really need to cause a row is a dirt cheap AK-47.

Jeremy Clarkson did a show about guns on sunday night, and waffled on for a bit about the AK-47. He said there has been something like one made for every four people on the planet and they cost $20 on average. He also said the name 'Klashnikov' (?) is about to be copyrighted by a German umbrella manufacturer.

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
He said there has been something like one made for every four people on the planet and they cost $20 on average.

Fucking hell! So for the same price as an horrifically violent DVD, you could buy a fairly meaty weapon and cause some real violence. No wonder the world's so screwed up.
Waynster

Absolutely true story this - Darryn can vouch for this.

A friend of mine, rather drunk one night bid and won a Romanian built AK-47 on ebay. About 2 weeks later, a postman turns up at his front door here in holland with a package marked "machine parts" - inside was one dismantled AK-47, signs of extreme usage and complete but for the receiver plate assembly. A kit form of this followed on with full instructions on assembling the receiver, and thus activating the weapon.

It was hidden in my box room (fortunatley the chap realised his error and did not get it activated) until his better half threatened divorce on discovering about it. The active parts were then disposed of and the remainder now resides in a basement in Alkmaar.

I believe since then ebay have now stopped the sale of rifles and pistols (with the exception of antiquities and replicas), but it was frightening that it passed all those supposed security scans (post 9/11 as well) and got delivered to his front door.

--------------------

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
If the T-1000 can mimic voices (and take on a human's appearance) why does it threaten Sarah Connor with a pointy finger and tell her "Call for John" several times? A few minutes later, it is adopting her visual form and trying to trick him into believing it's her, so why waste any time trying to get the real Sarah to call to her son? Is it a power trip? Shouldn't a T-1000 be about efficiency and the quickest means to an end, not emotional sadism?

--------------------
member #28

Dr. Benway

Maybe it doesn't know John's phone number.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

funkypurplepants
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for funkypurplepants           Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts on these little robot soldiers is what happens if you get a stoppage, its not a computer game where you just open your inventory and everyone stops what there doing to have a cuppa... so you ready yet? okay lock and load everyone.

After such an episode of stoppage and kidnap it sounds to me like they will be passengers on american airlines flights soon enough...

--------------------
tomboy

Dr. Benway

As long as you've got a legitimate copy of XP War, these kind of issues can be fixed with Service Packs.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

MiscellaneousFiles

The Japanese are one step ahead again. They have announced a *robot which is designed to talk to old people and stop them going senile.

-

quote:
"By talking with this robot, seniors who are often alone can stimulate their brains and avoid becoming forgetful," he told AFP.

The company has received 128 pre-launch orders for the robot which hit stores Wednesday at a cost of 576,000 yen (5,600 dollars).

Other than the conversation function, the robot has 15 programs to keep the elderly thinking and healthy, including singing songs, reading out quiz games and old news, and inquiring about health functions.

But is that all they're doing? Perhaps when the silvertops are asleep, these robots fill their minds with propaganda...

[end paranoia]

Prize to the first person to fit one with a rocket launcher.

funkypurplepants
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for funkypurplepants           Edit/Delete Post 
the evidence provided by the picture also makes the elderly look alot younger and quite sexy. prizes for the first person to equip one with a vibrator

silver suits provided as standard

[ 02.12.2004, 08:27: Message edited by: funkypurplepants ]

--------------------
tomboy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+