dervish
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dervish           Edit/Delete Post 
What were yours?
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see that you put so much effort into starting that topic. I have put as much effort into my answer.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was worth my starting a completely new thread, and it's something of a rite of passage, so here I am:

Last night, I delivered the final seminar presentation required for my course of studies. I am now, barring unforeseen problems, done with my Master's program. I've been hammering through full-time work plus full-time courseload for the past five years - back-to-back Bachelor's and Master's programs - and the thought of being done isn't quite real yet.

It's also funny to think of myself as an MBA. Because MBAs are supposed to be all serious and everything I'm not.

Maybe it will be a bit more real when the actual piece of paper arrives.

[ 08.12.2004, 11:03: Message edited by: froopyscot ]

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

Astromariner
Going the right way for a smacked bottom
 - posted      Profile for Astromariner           Edit/Delete Post 
congratulations, Froopy! I'm working full time and studying part time so I've got an inkling of how demanding the last few years must've been. Think of all the terrible TV you can watch now. [Smile]
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
Good effort!

Hopefully with all your new spare time you wont just hang about irritating your wife, until she chucks you out on the street. That would be terrible!

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by froopyscot:

It's also funny to think of myself as an MBA. Because MBAs are supposed to be all serious and everything I'm not.

Maybe it will be a bit more real when the actual piece of paper arrives.

i feel your pain.
trust me. i often wonder whether i'm the only phd with a sense of humour in the biosciences. then i move out of my lab and go talk to others and find, hey maybe its just electrophysiologists.

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
Well apart from the thing with frogspawn at full moon on my 21st birthday....

Not being of a particularly traditional bent (luckily my family aren't either), I don't feel any pressure to go through proper "rites of passage". Which would be things like Christening/Bat Mitvah (not religious), Marriage (not heterosexual) etc. etc.

So the things that *feel* like a rite of passage, are actually things which are in some way daunting. I'm buying a house with my OH at the moment. That's scary.

Is it scary because it's a huge commitment, tying my partner and I together in financial penury for the next 25 years? Probably not actually.

Is it scary because "what if the solicitor/surveyor fucks up and the house is built on an old toxic waste dump and we both get poisoned and the house is actually worth 50p and we spiral into massive negative equity just as the labour governement reintroduces the Poor House...."? Definitely.

ps. Congratulations Froopyscot.

[ 08.12.2004, 11:23: Message edited by: OJ ]

jnhoj
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for jnhoj           Edit/Delete Post 
im going to skip my rite of passage graduation ceremony like my mum did. One I already have a gown, it is blue and very comfortable. 2. hats don't suit me. 3. I'm not shaking a strangers hand.

Although - maybe being as it would be the last time I'll see people from my course, I might get a pity shag.

hmmm.

--------------------
www.storytimewithjohn.blogspot.comwww.gingercomics.com

jnhoj
TMO Member
assuming i graduate!

--------------------

damo
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for damo           Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't mcr wear pink with white trim?

or is that just the biosciences?

rooster
"When You're Hungry For A Big Cock!"
 - posted      Profile for rooster           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
Hopefully with all your new spare time you wont just hang about irritating your wife, until she chucks you out on the street. That would be terrible!

I have a feeling all his newly acquired free time will be lost in Sims and racing games.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
The basis of a healthy marriage! Phew!
jnhoj
TMO Member
It was a big thing at my school to have "got off" with someone and I was for a long time, ribbed for not having done so. When I finally did at the age old age of seveteen it was with a minger in a club and I was very, very drunk. A wasted first kiss indeed! She rubbed me a bit in the cinema the next day but then after that she called it off. thankfully.

--------------------

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rooster:
I have a feeling all his newly acquired free time will be lost in Sims and racing games.

This is my plan, of course.

I wonder how long things like graduate degrees take to sink in. At this point I'm waiting to receive the letter reading, "Dear Mr Froopyscot, We regret to inform you that the Board has voted against conferrence of degree privileges and recommends you consider pursuit of other interests, such as delivering pizzas, to which we believe you would be better suited."

Also: thanks y'all.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from a very traditional family, I think I have probably been through a myriad of rites of passage without really acknowledging them as such. The most recent one stands out, however. Last year Turbo Man and I bought a house together and although I moved out at the age of 17, my dad obviously felt this was the real moment I was starting my own life. He sat down with (poor, poor) Turbo Man and told him that I am very precious to him and he expects TM to take care of me in the way that I have always been taken care of. It was basically a "You fuck with my daughter, you'll be dealing with me" kind of speech. Since then I have noticed a tangible difference in the way my dad deals with both me and Turbo Man.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost forgot: CONGRATS Froopy MBA!

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+