email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » 2004 Review

Author Topic: 2004 Review
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
It's coming up to the end of the year, so... like all good magazines TMO should cast a parthian glance over 2004's highs and lows.

Let's have your nominations and feel free to add categories.

Best Album of the Year Dear Catastrophe Waitress - Belle & Sebastian
Released at the arse-end of 2003 this took a while to cohere in my brain. At least half the tracks are ace singles. and it pissed off the purists with Trevor Horn's production, so I give it two thumbs up.

Movie of the Year The Incredibles
Having this much fun in the presence of children is just wrong, WRONG! But, if this is being wrong... I don't want to be right!

Addiction of the Year Sushi
Okay, so it took me a while to catch up. Sushi is soooooo good, though. Nagura, toro, mako, The wasabi, the pickled ginger. Whether it's served in the fancy pants chrysanthemum festooned swank emporiums of Mayfair or from the grubbier conveyor belts of Soho, sushi is king. Top spot - Ichi Riki in Strutton Ground.

--------------------
sweet

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
Album of the Year Medúlla - Björk
(Obv.) Sorry to be predictable but you can't help who you fall for. One of the songs is terrible, I admit, but it's not the one with Tagaq the Inuit doing a throat orgasm; it's the one with Dokaka doing a throat trumpet. All about throats is this album. And teeth clacking and lips snapping and Robert Wyatt cutting strips from his throat (more throats!) and layering them like swatches of pastry for Björk to fill with oil/voice. I want to do notable mentions now. Are we allowed to do notable mentions? 'Yes.' Oh good, I would like to notably mention Fancy Ultra Fresh by Freezepop (guilty pleasure), Hai! by the Creatures (which is not new but was reissued on the SIOUX label this year so neh) and i by the Magnetic Fields. I would like also to notably divorce Courtney Love (America's Sweetheart) and remarry Marilyn Manson (for wanking on a corpse in a music video).

Movie of the Year
I don't do films. This isn't snobbery on my part. It is stupidity. OH HOLD ON I JUST THOUGHT OF ONE.

Movie of the Year Angels in America
Is this allowed? To be honest, the question I should be asking is: Is Meryl Streep allowed? and I suspect the answer is: No. But if I then asked Is Meryl Streep playing a rabbi allowed? the answer might be: Hmmm, yes. Yes? And Al Pacino playing AIDS exquisitely: is that allowed? And a girl taking pills and walking into a fridge and arriving in the Arctic? Sadly, Aslan does not appear at this point. Still. I stand by my choice. Except. Actually. No. I just remembered Emma Thompson is involved (playing an angel) (and a nurse) (oh, and a tramp too) so ... returning to my original question of Angels in America ("Is this allowed?") we have no option but to punch my mouth in its face - NO IT IS NOT - for ever suggesting such a thing as Angels in America.

Movie of the Year
I don't do films etc.

Addiction of the Year Headphones during sleep
Oh the things I listen to. My dreams despise me. Usually it's local radio. Scottish chavs sound almost lullaby-like when they're trying to win Delta Goodrem CDs on radio phone-ins. It is very soothing. Sometimes I listen to Americans fighting with each other on mic in chatrooms but this particular soundtrack is very nearly worse than falling asleep to the sound of tears coming out of your eyes (i.e. silence). These are habits I never intended to admit to anyone, much less TMO, but they say the only way to get over your addictions is to accept and admit them, so.

Neighbours Episode Title of the Year Nightmare on Izzy Street
Pretty self-explanatory. Izzy has convinced Karl that her tummy bump belongs to him. It is a lie. Cue: guiltmares. This episode also consists of a lesbian saying of Oscar Wilde: 'What are we supposed to learn from that daggy queen?' This is not, however, the episode in which Susan shags a priest.

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
Best Album Of The Year
Tricky since I haven't really bought many recently produced albums this year, so I'll go for 'Reise Reise' by Rammstein, simply because it lived up the the promise of 'Mutter', which takes some doing imo.

Movie Of The Year
Shaun of the Dead, one of the funniest films I've ever watched, and all the better for it's similarities and deliberate parallelling with the mighty Spaced.

Addiction of the Year
Heinz Garlic Sauce, I only discovered this stuff earlier this year, and it really is the mutt's danglies, it goes with everything from jacket potatoes to steak or fried chicken, and is quite frankly bloody fantastic, sod the fact that it's basically mayonnaise with some powdered garlic added.

Twunt of the Year
Who else could it be but George 'Dubya' Bush? The thinking(ish) redneck's favourite warmongering, wannabe dictator, a man so devoid of charisma that he makes Tony Blair look loveable in comparison, and so devoid of intelligence that single-celled lifeforms everywhere tell George Bush jokes to each other. Anyone who voted for him naturally comes in a very close second.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+