Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Hot Girl-on-Girl Culture (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Hot Girl-on-Girl Culture
grant
when you're surrounded and outnumbered, there's only one way out.
 - posted      Profile for grant           Edit/Delete Post 
They just published a 2,600-year-old poem by Sappho, found on a papyrus wrapped around a mummy's arm.

Sounds made up, but it isn't.

The poem turns out to be sort of a Classical version of The Kinks' "Art Lover," apparently.

From that article:
quote:
In the newly published verses, originally sung to music, Sappho laments the passing of time as she compares the youthful bodies of dancing girls to her own weak knees and white hair.

The first four lines of the translated verses read:

"You for the fragrant-bosomed Muses' lovely gifts,

Be zealous, girls, and the clear melodious lyre:

But my once tender body old age now

Has seized; my hair's turned white instead of dark."

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a surprise really, though is it?

Two lezza's lezzing it up is hott! There is a reason that with all the pr0n on the internet, two chicks and teens are the most searched/viewed.

You can have all the weirdos in the world getting off on scat pictures... Give me some wholesome, nubile, lezza's and I'm happy.

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

statist
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for statist           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by grant:
They just published a 2,600-year-old poem by Sappho, found on a papyrus wrapped around a mummy's arm.

Greek men were constantly bumfucking 'round about then. If what I'm lead to believe is right, anyway. What was wrong with the ancient world?

--------------------
every action has a song!

Fionnula the Cooler
Tags are meant to be funny
 - posted      Profile for Fionnula the Cooler           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the poem about Sappho loving some boy? I'm sure I read about it in the Guardian a few days ago. Maybe Sappho wasn't a dyke at all but in fact a total minge-tease, the original fake-bisexual. That'd be cool. Girls are hot together, though. That new programme with the teenage dykes. Sugar Rush? It made me do a bit of a boner. In my mind.
Homme de terre
 - posted      Profile for Homme de terre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by statist:
What was wrong with the ancient world?

If sabian's web search stats are to believed, nothing.

--------------------
no signature

OJ
I think we can save your husband's arm.
 - posted      Profile for OJ           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no classical scholar, but I was under the impression that allusion to a well-known mythical figure (Tithonus in this poem) was an established device, which doesn't have to be interpreted literally any more than it does in subsequent centuries.

Here's the full text as translated by Martin West in the TLS.

quote:
"[You for] the fragrant-blossomed Muses’ lovely gifts
[be zealous,] girls, [and the] clear melodious lyre:

[but my once tender] body old age now
[has seized;] my hair’s turned [white] instead of dark;

my heart’s grown heavy, my knees will not support me,
that once on a time were fleet for the dance as fawns.

This state I oft bemoan; but what’s to do?
Not to grow old, being human, there’s no way.

Tithonus once, the tale was, rose-armed Dawn,
love-smitten, carried off to the world’s end,

handsome and young then, yet in time grey age
o’ertook him, husband of immortal wife."

It reads as quite a succinct and poignant poem about ageing. I think there's also a hint that Sappho is married to an immortal spouse: the Muse.

Adolescent boys as the epitome of beauty and perfection, whether wasted or not, are pretty standard in the mythology of this period aren't they? Narcissus (human) and Eros are both the objects of unrequited and unworthy female love.

We don't know much about Sappho, what we do know comes from a few fragments, which suggest that she was a female poet with a court of female acolytes, which gives her quite a different voice from most writers in antiquity.

ps. Has anyone read Germaine Greer's book about male beauty? "The Boy" I think....

eta: incase it's not clear enough, the boy in this is both an object of desire (to the goddess) and then an object of pity as he ages like a mortal.

[ 29.06.2005, 05:20: Message edited by: OJ ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you hadn't told me you were a lesbian. I keep having a fantasy of two girls in Jedi drag attacking you whilst you fight them off with a double-dong, dressed as Darth Maul.

[Frown]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

sabian

quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
I wish you hadn't told me you were a lesbian. I keep having a fantasy of two girls in Jedi drag attacking you whilst you fight them off with a double-dong, dressed as Darth Maul.

[Frown]

Why the [Frown] face?

That "plot" outline completely blows any of the 3 prequels out of the water. You could © this post and then send a sample screen play to a pr0n company... Just imagine all the money you'd make from Star Wars nerds - stroke - pr0n addicts!

(I want a 30% for offering up the idea of this... Kinda like your talent scout... Actually, just let me take part in the casting and we'll call it even! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

scrawny
One Mojito, two Gin and Tonics, Three Bacardi Lime Sodas, and a couple of pints of Stella please.
 - posted      Profile for scrawny           Edit/Delete Post 
FtC, where the hell is that post you wrote about the Da Vinci code? been looking for it everywhere. Did you take it down?

--------------------
...because that's the kind of guy you are.

OJ
quote:

[Frown]

Yeah, only on Tuesdays though. The rest of the week is spent perfecting a humourless persona, harshing boners and practcing my death-ray stare.

Weekends I plait my leg hair into a special rope, from which I will fashion a coracle to paddle through the endless lakes of Sabian's dribble.

[ 29.06.2005, 06:18: Message edited by: OJ ]

OJ
x

[ 29.06.2005, 06:16: Message edited by: OJ ]

New Way Of Decay

The sadface was because I made up the fantasy, but I just wanted to be part of the gang of men who like girl on girl, just to fit in.

--------------------

OJ
quote:
The sadface was because I made up the fantasy, but I just wanted to be part of the gang of men who like girl on girl, just to fit in.

Don't worry NWoD, you 'll never fit in with them. You have a real girlfriend for a start.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, and I was hoping this thread was all about Sugar Rush

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

OJ
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Damn, and I was hoping this thread was all about Sugar Rush

Is there much to say about Sugar Rush? It's okay, but a bit derivative. None of the writing makes me LOL and teenage angst isn't sexy. Sugar's mum is quite cute in a dislikeable sort of way... Hybrid offspring of Hollyoaks and Queer as Folk. Score: three kittens (out of five)

But then again it features teenage girls in their pants so it's pretty much guaranteed an audience.

New Way Of Decay

I don't want to be drawn into this, because I'll rant about how much Sugar Rush makes me sick with it's pretencious energy.

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
It reminds me of Grange Hill - Why is it on so late ?

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
Because filthy fucking perverts need to be kept out of the eyes and minds of our children [Mad]
New Way Of Decay

Because you see the mum getting it doggy style. She still has her bra on. Lightweight.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Because filthy fucking perverts need to be kept out of the eyes and minds of our children [Mad]

I take it the :madface: is because your mum forgot to videotape it for you then Ringo?

--------------------

OJ
I hesitate to tell you this, but the only lesbian drama worth its salt at the moment is The L Word.

Currently airing on Living TV. Or not if your sodding cable box is knackered this week.

Ignoring the crappy billboard ads living did with girls in knickers and chip fat (not sexy)...

It features the sort of too-cool-for-school swaggering types who make the girls swoon just by walking into the club. The ones we all secretly wanted to be age 21. (Shane, sexy) Jennifer Beals of Flashdance fame as what one reviewer described as "the Mac daddy". In Armani.(mucho sexy)

Plus all manner of sardonic and wisecracking types who are sometimes lucky in love, but always witty. I mean Leisha Haley, who we'd all like to be now if it weren't for the squeaky voice and the fact we don't like Marc Jacobs blouses that much.

When I say we, of course....

[ 29.06.2005, 07:15: Message edited by: OJ ]

The Truth
 - posted      Profile for The Truth           Edit/Delete Post 
Fact - 99% of men would be horribly disappointed if they actually saw a real lesbian couple in action.
New Way Of Decay

43.7% of all statistics are made up right on the spot

Also, you are wrong.

--------------------

Endemic
I love Pauly Shore
 - posted      Profile for Endemic           Edit/Delete Post 
Fact: if The Truth had any bollocks it wouldn't play the edges hoping for a reaction.
Nina
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Nina           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ones we all secretly wanted to be age 21. (Shane, sexy) Jennifer Beals of Flashdance fame as what one reviewer described as "the Mac daddy". In Armani.(mucho sexy)
Wait, do I want to be Shane or do I want to lick her? Who could say?
statist
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
I hesitate to tell you this, but the only lesbian drama worth its salt at the moment is The L Word.

Oh no no no no. Come on, man, The L-Word is written by children for children. By which I mean written by adolescent boys for adolescent boys. The first series was really big and much talked about but even the young boys don't watch any more, now that the full-frontals are fewer and further between. Oh, and it has currenlty the most irritating theme tune. Bar none.

[ 30.06.2005, 04:09: Message edited by: statist ]

--------------------
every action has a song!

statist
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by The Truth:
Fact - 99% of men would be horribly disappointed if they actually saw a real lesbian couple in action.

By "in action", do you mean "making humous"? Personally I don't understand why so many people say they find watching this exciting -- it's just chickpeas, tahini, garlic and lemon juice in a blender. How can that be arousing?

--------------------
every action has a song!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because you see the mum getting it doggy style. She still has her bra on. Lightweight.

Doggy-Style + Bra = Extra Grip, surely?

Natural elasticity of straps enhances bouncy-bouncy action, no?

Personally I'm not a big fan of Sugar. It's quite disconcerting to see Rush (Kim?) talking about anal sex, etc when the last time we saw her face was in popular kids show Julia Jekyll and Harriet Hyde.

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
I last saw her here which makes it worse

--------------------

OJ
quote:
even the young boys don't watch any more

That says it all really. Do you really think that I care about what young boys are watching in their bedrooms? The writers and directors all together have quite a strong indie film pedigree by the way. On a quality US drama continuum it's not quite up there with Six Feet Under but is a whole lot bettr than, say, Sex and the City. Mainly in terms of having multi-dimensional characters.

But you're right, the theme tune is deeply irritating.

I'm off to make some hummus.

[ 30.06.2005, 04:34: Message edited by: OJ ]

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
I'm off to make some hummus.

Can I watch?
OJ
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
The ones we all secretly wanted to be age 21. (Shane, sexy) Jennifer Beals of Flashdance fame as what one reviewer described as "the Mac daddy". In Armani.(mucho sexy)
Wait, do I want to be Shane or do I want to lick her? Who could say?
And the prize for uncannily capturing the 21-year-old dyke experience goes to Nina.

And LOL to Misc. I lied about the hummus. I tried to get work to let me make wholesome food at my desk, but apparently it doesn't count as religious observance.

statist
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
That says it all really. Do you really think that I care about what young boys are watching in their bedrooms?

Well, no. That's kind of the point thought: even the least important viewing bracket is in decline.

quote:
Originally posted by OJ:
The writers and directors all together have quite a strong indie film pedigree by the way. On a quality US drama continuum it's not quite up there with Six Feet Under but is a whole lot bettr than, say, Sex and the City. Mainly in terms of having multi-dimensional characters.

In which case, they've signed to Warners, the fucking sell-outs. Sorry. I agree with your comparisons in part: it isn't as good as Six Feet Under which at least can be a bit interesting at times. And it is better than Sex and the City because, well, everything is better than Sex and the City -- congratulations on hitting upon my most hated series of the last decade. But multidimensional characters? To me they seem about as multi-dimensional as the Spice Girls: Tina is Dappywet-Lesbian; Bette is Highpowermanagement-Lesbian; Dana is Sporty-Lesbian; Shane, obviously and boringly, is just Slut-Lesbian; Jenny is Deepwriteranalytical-Lesbian; blah-de-bla-bla. Actully, that Alice character is kind of OK but also a bit wet and that chart really gets on my tits. Really, I don't see much more multidimensionality than that. Honestly. Only mildly more n-D than the blonde one from Sex and the City.

Who is your favourite Lesbian?

[ 30.06.2005, 05:04: Message edited by: statist ]

--------------------
every action has a song!

sabian

quote:

Who is your favourite Lesbian?

Anne Widdecombe

--------------------

statist
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by sabian:
Anne Widdecombe

See what I mean about The L-Word going downhill

--------------------
every action has a song!

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+