email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Metal hands inside my body

Author Topic: Metal hands inside my body
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
*New Scientist reports on a robot arm designed to perform breast checks remotely.

-

quote:
"Just because you’re located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan or even Botswana, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a sophisticated diagnostic or therapeutic procedure," says Carol Slomski, a surgeon at Michigan State University, who helped design the system.
Good news for Squeegy!

quote:
The robot hand is remotely controlled by means of a haptic "glove", in which each finger is connected to a motion-sensing device. The operator's hand movements are then measured and sent via a computer to the artificial hand, which almost instantly mimics the operator's moves.
Ladies: Would you feel more comfortable being man-handled by DoctorFlesh or a MechaMedic?

How else could remote technology be used in medical procedures?

Post the Fist:
The Surgeon of the Future wears a motion sensing shirt and gloves via which he can remotely perform surgery from anywhere he wants: at home in front of Big Brother, at the bar, between holes at the golf course...

Toilet Duck
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Toilet Duck           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd rather be manhandled than machine handled. Not very pleasant, but it has to be done, and at least the Doctor man has a sense of exactly how far he was squish before it hurts. And he'll hear me if I say "ow". And you can get female doctors, which is far more pleasant.

--------------------
El Pollo Diablo

grant
when you're surrounded and outnumbered, there's only one way out.
 - posted      Profile for grant           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing a new, adults-only sequel to The Terminator now....
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Toilet Duck:
I think I'd rather be manhandled than machine handled. Not very pleasant, but it has to be done, and at least the Doctor man has a sense of exactly how far he was squish before it hurts. And he'll hear me if I say "ow". And you can get female doctors, which is far more pleasant.

Poor Toilet Duck, I don't think they understand how this machine works at all.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Phoenix
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Phoenix           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh - fleshy doctor, please! For the same reasons as Toilet Duck.

By the way, doesn't it seem to be a rather pointless piece of technology? What can this machine do that a human hand can't?

--------------------
Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
By the way, doesn't it seem to be a rather pointless piece of technology? What can this machine do that a human hand can't?

For gods sake, do you need a puppet show? This machine cannot be another person so it will encourage those who feel uneasy about people putting their hands on their tits for starters. Other than that, unless your doctor is Flipper the fucking dolphin, he can't fondle a boob with his fins and scan for cancer simultaneously. Is your doctor Mr Tickle? Doubtful. Then he won't be able to do any long distance fondling.

If you're still having trouble getting it, you could use this link to help you
here.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Nubes [Roll Eyes]
One Reason Why
 - posted      Profile for One Reason Why           Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I'm sure there are some kind of safety protocols in place I would still be concerned regarding some kind of involuntary shudder by the remote user or some kind of robotic problem until at least someone sat me down and assured me that the risk was completely negigble.
New Way Of Decay

The same fear is evident when a vibrator suddenly kicks out in your hand. It makes you pause for thought I can tell ya.

--------------------

One Reason Why
 - posted      Profile for One Reason Why           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonally sincere?

[ 06.07.2005, 18:54: Message edited by: One Reason Why ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+