Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Academics - wise up! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Academics - wise up!
My Name Is Joe
That's Mister Minge to you..
 - posted      Profile for My Name Is Joe           Edit/Delete Post 
"Every aspect of their measly little lives irritates me"
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! If he thinks that academics' lives are 'measly' he's going to be in for a right shock when he gets out of university and gets a real job.

I read that story this morning and it just kind of irritated the fuck out of me. Maybe because I was lucky to have almost uniformly imaginative, witty and helpful lecturers at university (with one exception - the guy who took my screenwriting module in the final term - he was a cretin). But also, it seems like a really unimaginitive schtick - lecturers trying to be 'hip', having bad hygiene etc. For one, I don't think these are more prevalent in academia than anywhere else - I mean the 'hip' thing applies much more to office managers. Academics mostly seem like they couldn't care less about being 'hip'. Peep Show seemed far moer accurate with its portrayal of a snobby, self-aggradising history lecturer. You know what - I think that is what annoys me about those comments. They sound more like what someone thinks they saw, than what they're actually seeing "Academics? Oh yeah - they're out of touch with bad hygiene and hair growing out of their ears". Whereas I reckon if they actually stopped and looked at their lecturers they'd probably realise that that isn't really the case.

[ 26.01.2006, 05:51: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
It makes students sound like the biggest ***** of all time.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's self important of a bunch of unwashed, lazy students to think that lecturers care about trying to hip up to conect to them on a friendly level.

My lecturers were all fantastic - the subject for half of my degree was the problem, but I loved the lecturers and my tutor was best of all.

[ 26.01.2006, 05:48: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
The objectionable facial hair is fairly accurate (in Engineering anyway). And I did once do a module that was based primarily around the lecturer's own book. Mostly, academics are totally into their subject and are very enthusiastic about students seeing the light too.

I shall be forwarding the link round, though.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I hated all of my teachers up until I went to University, purely because they were asking me to do things. At University, I was able to have a pint with one of my tutors, a dude called Eammon who taught around social psychology and youth culture, but mostly I just slouched at the back of the class, stoned and drunk, only speaking to the teachers to hand in my essays. Classes were filled with idiots. People writing notes using three colours of pen. I was apathetic towards everybody. I don't remember most of the tutors, and I didn't go to lectures. The only really useful part of going to University itself was the library..I quite liked sitting on the higher floors, looking at the sun set across the lake, then taking home a load of books to read during the night. The main experiences of University were drugs and hunger.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
The objectionable facial hair is fairly accurate (in Engineering anyway).

All engineers have facial hair though. Fact. Especially civil engineers.

It's the female ones I feel sorry for.

--------------------
supa scrub

kovacs

- posted      Profile for kovacs           Edit/Delete Post 
They've just taken the amusing and oddball comments out of what might be a useful survey, though, haven't they. Shame really that our most trusted and traditional broadcasting institution can't write a news story about education without reducing it to daft trivia.

Having said that, the whole idea of a survey that asks students to "vent their grievances", and only samples 648 people, is hardly worth talking about anyway.

The best thing about this story is that it confirms my impression that I miss nothing by not reading any form of news journalism.

*takes out compact... trims nose hair*

--------------------
member #28

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
I was fairly indifferent to most of my tutors (there was only one I could describe as genuinely inspiring) but they all seemed like fairly normal people. The students being quoted here sound like they are auditioning for Child's Play.

-
"They never wash and they all smell of wee. Hehehehe.."

-
"It's like when you are playing Guess Who? and Roger has the silly hair. They all look like that with stupid beards and stuff."

-
"And, and, and, and they have brown chord jackets and things. With leather elbow pads, like what they have and everything like that."

-
"They were beneath me, part of a Jewish conspiracy and deserved to die."

Dr. Benway

[Smile]

I could have been on Child's Play, but I was ill when they came round to our school. My mate ended up on it, earning alright money apparently. Now he works for Edge magazine. I hate him.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
My ex girlfriend was on there. She had to be 'woopsed' about twenty times. Stupid girl.
Dr. Benway

were you going out when she was on it? Like, watching it at home, holding your tiny head in shame?

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell are you talking about? I literally have no idea what you're talking about. What the fuck is Child's Play? Isn't it a film or something?
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
No, her mum taped it. She showed it to me about 15 years after it was on the telly. I didn't really watch it; I was just staring at her mother's breasts.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
What the hell are you talking about? I literally have no idea what you're talking about. What the fuck is Child's Play? Isn't it a film or something?

In your lifetime it was repackaged as Children Say the Funniest Things or something like that.

Children are given a word, they have to describe it, the adults have to guess it. Simple really. Child's play in fact.

Dr. Benway

That was when ITV was at the height of its light entertainment powers.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

Also, I think that thorn is transforming into Mark from Peep Show.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

Sorry MNIJ. We broke the thread already.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

Child's play was on London Weekend Television, and maybe that wasn't broadcast to The Lizard in Cornwall, where thron and VP are from.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
It was presented, as all the best programmes are, by Michael Aspel. But not Una Stubbs.

New TMO record - from original subject to shit in 19 posts..

Dr. Benway

*shrugs*

you know. Whatever. I thought that maybe The Ghost of George the Robot was going to turn things around with some blisteringly innappropriate Roy Whiting / George Best humour, but that never happened. He probably couldn't be bothered.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Ghost of George
 - posted      Profile for Ghost of George           Edit/Delete Post 
KIDS SAY THE FUNNIEST THINGS...

-

And then she said "Please stop, you're hurting me!" Ha ha ha

--------------------
Simply the Best

Dr. Benway

sorry, TMO.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the courses I took at uni was taught by Hermione Lee. She was loathsome and humourless and put me off Virginia Woolf so comprehensively I get a skin crawling sweat on if I even see a copy of To the Lighthouse.
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
I quite like Ghost of George. Is he a fish troll?

--------------------
supa scrub

Dr. Benway

I'm assuming it's a vehicle for another forumite.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
hello kovacs
My Name Is Joe
On a related (vaguely) note, apparently more than half of the UK population don't accept evolution theory!
Yet another BBC link.

What do TMOers think?

Toilet Duck
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Toilet Duck           Edit/Delete Post 
I do surveys for Opinionpoll sometimes, and they didn't ask me what I think of my lecturers. Presumably because they knew I'd say that they're hard-working, human, and not bad people to be around. That survey was pants.

--------------------
El Pollo Diablo

Dr. Benway

quote:
Originally posted by My Name Is Joe:
On a related (vaguely) note, apparently more than half of the UK population don't accept evolution theory!
Yet another BBC link.

What do TMOers think?

Last night I was drinking with a friend who was trying to convince me that it was fine to believe something to be true purely because it's what you want. She then went on to cite her belief in fairies as an example. So, I'm like *whatever* about this new evolution revelation. As long as people persist in believing in some kind of paternal omnipotent power, following religions, and just making shit up, then really, what do you expect. People on the whole are fucking idiots.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

vikram

i want to believe in fairies. i want to believe in... anything.

people suck. people should be killed.

vikram

kids are cool tho: http://www.iusedtobelieve.com/
My Name Is Joe
I've started going to 'mass', twice now in two weeks, and I must admit I'm quite enjoying it.

There's quite a sense of community about the place, lots of young families, old people and so on, and the whole ritual is comforting in a way.
The priest talks about poverty in Africa, or the evils of violence – all sensible, decent stuff I can relate to.

That said, I honestly can’t say I actually believe in any of the supernatural stuff associated with religion, so when I hear people mouthing off about intelligent design or how the bible is literal truth, I can’t help thinking they’re being wilfully stupid.

I suppose that makes me a hypocrite.

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't accept the public.
herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Who saw that Richard Dawkins series about the fact that religion is evil and those who believe in it retarded? It ruled.

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+