email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Search and Ye Shall Find

Author Topic: Search and Ye Shall Find
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember I posted a list of funny search terms that were found in the Google drop-down on a kid's computer? They included such classics as sex, sex seen, sexy thing and were even adopted as DD/DM's signature for a time...

Internet frisbee maker, AOL recently mistakenly released similar information relating to many of its users - a list of search keywords, tied to user accounts. The user details are not listed, but replaced with a specific number, so you can see which keywords were searched for by the same person.

quote:
Here was what was mistakenly released:

* Search data for roughly 658,000 anonymized users over a three month period from March to May.

* There was no personally identifiable data provided by AOL with those records, but search queries themselves can sometims include such information.

* According to comScore Media Metrix, the AOL search network had 42.7 million unique visitors in May, so the total data set covered roughly 1.5% of May search users.

* Roughly 20 million search records over that period, so the data included roughly 1/3 of one percent of the total searches conducted through the AOL network over that period.

* The searches included as part of this data only included U.S. searches conducted within the AOL client software.

Our apologies again.

Andrew Weinstein
AOL Spokesperson

quote:
Contained in this list are social security numbers, credit cards and other personal information. There are some truly scary things in this database.
Mister 17556639 has some absolute classics:

quote:
17556639 how to kill your wife
17556639 how to kill your wife
17556639 wife killer
17556639 how to kill a wife
17556639 poop
17556639 dead people
17556639 pictures of dead people
17556639 killed people
17556639 dead pictures
17556639 murder photo
17556639 steak and cheese
17556639 photo of death
17556639 death
17556639 dead people photos
17556639 photo of dead people
17556639 www.murderdpeople.com
17556639 decapatated photos
17556639 car crashes3
17556639 car crash photo

I wonder if perhaps he is married to 'gina Ford.

*More information.

[ 08.08.2006, 10:36: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can read more about it here:
http://www.gregsadetsky.com/aol-data/

and a direct link to the file which was mirrored is here:
http://giant.poly9.com/AOL-data.tgz

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
This is great. To get revenge on a ex-friend just get on their computer, type in a few dodgy search terms and wait for the police to come round and pick them up.
not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post 
Also that link you supplied Sab is about 440mb. Might be worth noting that on your post [Wink]
sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, it's 470ishmb and when it's uncompressed, it'll turn into about 2gb of txt files

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
Some bright spark has set up a *fully searchable online version of the database...
turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Turbo Man used to have a housemate years ago who was so incredibly gay in every way, except he always vehemently denied it and was very vocal about his anti-gay views. They had a shared computer at the time and one day I sat down at the computer after him. I wanted to Google something I had found the previous day, so I looked in the search history. I ended up with a very, very long list of: 'anal sex', 'men on men', 'gay love' etc etc. He's still denying his homosexuality to this day...

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+