Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Tag! You're out!

Author Topic: Tag! You're out!
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
Reason number 407 for homeschooling your children.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a fair bit of stress with our kids' school at the moment. It's not really their fault, it's just the payback for having three children at one school at the same time. Every single thing has to be multiplied by three, and that really starts to get expensive.

Examples:

1. Thursday is "Victorian Day" to celebrate the school's 130th anniversary. All the kids get to dress in Victorian clothes. Great fun for one kid. An old shirt, a waistcoat and flat cap from the local charity shop. Job done. But even in a charity shop that's going to set you back five or six quid. With three kids you're talking about 20 quid, and that's if you can find 3 old shirts, 3 waistcoats and 3 flat caps, or whatever. 20 quid just for a frivolous dressing up day. Can't leave them out, they have to join in. Get this... we actually ended up hiring 2 sets of Victorian costumes at 7 quid a go. [Mad] (We cobbled together the third outfit from bits and pieces around the house.)

2. A fund raiser. They got all the children in the school to do a painting each, then framed the pictures and are selling them to the parents at 6 quid a painting! 18 quid to buy three kid's paintings, and of course they all want their painting. [Frown] These are pictures they could knock out at home in about 10 minutes, any time they like.

3. We give them packed lunches, but now Jamie Oliver's on the case. Today's packed lunch was: 1 carton 'organic' fruit juice, 1 bread roll with grated cheddar, a sliced up apple, a Froob fromage frais and a bag of crisps. Just a box standard packed lunch? NO! POISON! Fromage frais is apparently just a sugary snack, as bad as a Mars bar. Crisps make you die within days of eating a packet. White bread rolls are like feeding your children pigeon shit. Cheese! Murderer!

Anyway... it goes on like that day after day, blah blah blah.

ralph

I feel your pain. If we ever choose to go the public school route, we could potentially have three children in the same school at the same time.

*shudder*

ETA: Possibly more than three, should we decide to have more.

[ 18.10.2006, 12:45: Message edited by: ralph ]

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ralph:
Possibly more than three, should we decide to have more.

Jesus ralph, how much of a masochist are you exactly?
ralph

quote:
Originally posted by Physic:
Jesus ralph, how much of a masochist are you exactly?

Kids are great*. I love being a father. [Smile]

*My kids. Other peoples kids suck.

[ 18.10.2006, 13:39: Message edited by: ralph ]

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If we ever choose to go the public school route, we could potentially have three children in the same school at the same time.

-
A-haugh-haugh-haugh! Guess what pater's latest contwibution to the tmo intewnet boards was! Samthing about banjo music and gwizzly bears!

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post 
That article reads like something from theonion.com

I don't know what to write without sounding completely Daily Mail. I'll just post a sad face.

[Frown]

There you go.

--------------------
supa scrub

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh FFS, things like this give me mucho rage. There was something on the news here last night about playground safety. They had 'tested' a number of playgrounds and discovered that *shock* they were unsafe! What made them unsafe? Kids could fall off the slide! Kids could get hit by a swing! Kids could snag their clothes on the see-saw and hang there, helplessly! Now, I think all of us went to playgrounds when we were kids and yes, we probably all fell off a slide/got wallopped by a swing/hung on a see-saw at one point or another. Still, we survived. And nobody's parents sued the playground. Why has it suddenly become 'unsafe' to be normal kids?

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
There's definitely a culture all over the place these days where it's become all important to live for as long as possible rather than accept that you only get one little life (or only one at a time if you're a Bhuddist) and it's probably more important to get stuck in and enjoy it while you can really. Society really doesn't need billions of old people all over the place. It's not natural.

Fortunately, I can confirm that kids are at least as dangerous as they always have been and will always find the most stupid way to do any given task. I also saw some lads, about 12 or 13 yrs old I guess, jumping into the local river from an overhanging tree recently. That was good to see again. Remember many afternoons doing the same sort of thing when I was a kid. Mind you, the River Frome absolutely stank in those days. None of this namby pamby pollution-free water you get now.

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reason number 407 for homeschooling your children.

Three children can play tag, but if you only have one, how are they going to play contact sport at home anyway?

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

ralph

quote:
Originally posted by sam:
Three children can play tag, but if you only have one, how are they going to play contact sport at home anyway?

Shut up.

And nice to see you, sam. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+