Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Secret Santa (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 12 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12 

Author Topic: Secret Santa
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Were you the odd number?

Benny.....

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sidney:
I would like to be in but don't want to be unceremoniously dumped from the whole arrangement, like I was last year. [Frown]

You were dumped? At Christmas? That's unforgivable. This year we should all send to Sidders and get nothing in return.

--------------------
sweet

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
You in, Bandy?

Aye, go on then. I've got loads of stuff in my house that i'm sure people would love for Christmas.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... Scrawny....
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Piles and piles of money no doubt, I've got this mental image of Bandy living in Scrooge McDuck's house (not that Bandy is mean though) and swimming at night in vast lakes of treasure quacking gently to himself..

Man, this flu medicine is good stuff..

-

[ 03.11.2006, 08:26: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Black Mask

You in, too, D?

--------------------
sweet

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
Piles and piles of money no doubt

Man, if only. I'm effectively UNEMPLOYED at the moment (except I can't claim dole and I have to do work during the day) and this will stay the case until the company starts making some money.

I did get to go to the gym for two hours this morning though, which was cool. I used the sauna. Never had time for that before.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Yeah, I'll be in Barry... Mind to allow for plenty of postage time from here though, so it could be more like secret sometime between Christmas and New year Santa from Holland..

Is the gym tax deductable ? I bet it is... Canadians do it

[ 03.11.2006, 08:39: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I'm already in one. Is it greedy to be in TWO secret santas?

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll volunteer for the thankless job of organising it all, then. Admin tedium is after all the only thing I'm good at.

oohandbag at hotmail.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Vogon Poetess

I've had seven little Santa helpers email me so far. I'll leave it til next Monday before pulling names out of a hat.

Purchasers may be interested to note that Ben Elton has a cleverly titled new book out in time for Christmas- it's a "savagely hilarious deconstruction of TV talent shows".

I put up my Christmas tree this week to cheer myself up.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm totally having a kind of Christmas premature ejaculation as well, and I think it might also be a symptom of depression. Lisa says it's too early to send out Christmas cards or put the cute red berry Christmas wreath that I got at the Country Living Christmas Fair (my friend got me in free, ok?) on the front door, but I'm like, oh please! Please! Let me bring a little joy and celebration into my life, please, by any means possible, go on! But no. I can make a Christmas cake though. It's ok to do that now. Isn't that sad though? To be using Christmas as some kind of joycore stimulant? I used to get that from life naturally. Not any more.
[Frown]

herbs

I'm finding the prospect of Christmas itself infinitely depressing. Maybe it's because I was going to be either a new mother, or v pregnant, by the festive season, or maybe it's a hangover from childhood when it's still supposed to be a special joyous occasion and just never is any more. I used to resent having to spend it with my parents, but now they do their own thing with their friends and I feel left out. There'll be none of that jolly family gathering thing that goes on on the telly and in Good Housekeeping. Me and R will prob just get pissed on our own.
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
It doesn't feel like Christmas here, it's 17 degrees outside and as warm as September.

I won't do the tree or lights until 1 December, that's early enough isn't it ?

Sinterklaas arrives here on Saturday, we're taking Beckett over to watch the boat arrive, let's hope he's not freaked out by the blacked up men dressed as Piet !

[ 16.11.2006, 05:05: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

Vogon Poetess

It's just the pretty fairy lights that I like, and I have some nice mini disco-ball ornaments. And I like holly and festive greenery- must go scrounging round the graveyard again this weekend.

As you say, the event of Christmas itself is increasingly less joyous each year. I really can't be arsed with New Year at all either- a combination of this past year being utterly awful, and my having absolutely nothing to look forward to/live for next year. I shall stay in and watch films about the end of the world all evening, I reckon.

--------------------

London

I've been meaning to watch Threads for a while - maybe we should get together and have a new year depresso-marathon. Ah well, at least this Christmas can in NO WAY be as bad as last Christmas! I shall console myself with that. I mean, unless like *list of terrible things that could happen scrolls through my mind and is swiftly squished down with GO TO THE HAPPY PLACE GO TO THE HAPPY PLACE*. Anyway! When you get twigs from the graveyard do you take pruning shears with you or do you just snap them off? This is what I have been mainly wondering this morning.
Vogon Poetess

London, I took some kitchen scissors last year. I'm not nicking stuff off graves or anything! Just the pretty holly by the fence.

I could walk up to Wimbledon Common I suppose, but it's a lot further away.

Actually, spray painting twigs silver could be another form of cheap anti-depressant.

--------------------

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happens this Christmas someone is going to end up getting upset as there is no way any combination of my family can be arrived at without someone's nose getting seriously bent. The traffic is already getting worse, I can't get out for fag break without tripping over mouth breathing wankers and the entire prospect of the whole shebang depresses me so infinitely it barely seems worth getting out of bed in the morning.
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite looking forward to it! I still go down to my Mum's and since she is excellent at the old roast and trimmings, the food will be resplendent as always.

I also have a 30th birthday party to go to in a couple of weeks, plus we've organised a bunch of us to go out for a posh Christmas dinner in a fancy restaurant (which I'm trying to persuade everyone to get all dressed up for), plus my demob-happy-leaving-job-in-4-weeks-with-sod-all-else-to-do friend is hopefully doing some research on

a) going away for New Year to a cottage or something
b) a monster epic trip in the spring to go skiing and city-hopping in N America.

It's all good at the moment! Sorry not to join the doom and gloom brigade but I'm feeling quite chipper, all things considered.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Vogon Poetess

Hippy, you may have left it a bit late to book a cottage for New Year. When we went I booked it in September.

Louche, how about approaching it as a pagan festival and ignoring everything else? What I like is essentially the pretty lights, shiny stuff and seasonal greenery. I eat chocolate oranges and listen to Last Christmas by Wham all year round anyway.

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
Thanks Veep, this is what I said to my friend Mike but since he has nothing else to do he said he'd give it a stab anyway.

--------------------

Black Mask

Who's on your list so far, Veep?

--------------------
sweet

H1ppychick
We all locked in.
I'll mail you my details tonight Veep, as I haven't so far.

--------------------

herbs

It's all the mindset, is it not. I shall be pagan about it also, and perhaps spend Christmas day in the nude.

I think most of the social/family fun will be in the days around Christmas day itself. I shall embrace that day as an opportunity to absolutely fuck all, accompanied by chocolates and champagne.

I've had a fun xmas remembrance. Last year I hosted our annual chums' xmas do, and one of the presents received was a kit for decorating gingerbread stars, incorporating tubes of white and red icing. Naturally, all being around 40, we decorated them with tits, spurting cocks, rude words, etc, and hung them on the tree. The next day my parents came round. I hastily took all the incriminating items, or so I thought. Once they'd gone, R pointed out the spurting cock one was still there.

Vogon Poetess

Black Mask, Santa's HR department can't divulge details about personnel to non-employees, I'm afraid.

Sorry to make sick the Christmas haters, but I need to talk about Christmas music. Specifically, I want a CD that has all the festive songs I like on:

Fairytale of NY (obv not the godamn Ronan Bleating version)
Last Christmas
Band Aid (original)
Stay Another Day
Wizzard, Slade etc
I think it's called Three Troikas or something (the chorus goes badda badda dum dum etc)
The slightly reggae one about Mary's boychild being born on Christmas Day
Walking In The Air (although this sometimes makes me sad when I think of the melted snowman)

Does anyone know of an album containing all of the above? I have just trawled through several pages on play.com to no avail.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
there must be some torrents out there with all that shit on.
Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
Louche, how about approaching it as a pagan festival and ignoring everything else? What I like is essentially the pretty lights, shiny stuff and seasonal greenery. I eat chocolate oranges and listen to Last Christmas by Wham all year round anyway.

The difficulty with this is it's just impossible to avoid the Christmas things that give me utter rage without packing in my job, which I do thoroughly enjoy the other eleven months of the year. My office is in the centre of Manchester's busiest shopping district. Think Oxford Road-esque. Manchester city centre and the Trafford Centre are the biggest shopping areas in all of the north west and easily accessible from most of the north east and the Midlands. They get fucking raftered with people. To the extent that it is impossible to walk. Really. Walking to and from the station, the outside of the office for a fag break, to Eat for lunch, becomes an exercise in frustration as people dawdle, clog, coagulate, hit you in the knees with giant shopping bags etc etc. It is impossible to buy anything, even something so simple as a packet of fags or a sandwich or a cup of coffee because the queues of mindless consummerist zombies stretch for hours down the soulless mall bright shiny marble. Getting into work becomes an exercise in developing misanthropy as the train become not dissimilar to those in India. The motorway routes around the city, gridlocked in the best of rush hours, become a single, giant, rain swept brutalist car park. The record for Christmas traffic madness at the moment stands with the Trafford Centre with it taking people up to ten hours to exit the car park the night before Christmas Eve last year.

And because of all this, because of where I work, just getting there involves me being daily bombarded with Christmas songs and decorations and advertising and all the generally associated 'oooh it's a season of goodwill' messages from all the shops and it's not a season of fucking goodwill to them is it, it's a season of fucking money making and all anyone ever sells is shit and dressed up tat in layers of wasteful stupid red and gold packaging and it annoys because it isn't a season of fucking goodwill anyway, it's a season of rampant, dick waving consummerism and for most people financial stress and present buying worry and having to visit relatives who are ***** just because tradition demands and if you don't do it aunty ella will complain to your Mum and she'll get upset and all this revolves around one stupid fucking stupid single day where you get a pile of 95% shite, some wine, eat some food and then slump blankly in front of shite TV or some playstation game and then get nauseously pissed because you've eaten so much it takes a crate of wine to get you even vaguely near the stage where the day blurs at the edges and you can finally fucking relax.

It's shit all of it, pure fucking shite and the only things to relive it are the occasional good party of silly internet gifts and none of those come fucking close to taking the sheer drudging awful throb of pain that is the month of december in this allegedly fucking civilised country.

London

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I want a CD that has all the festive songs I like on:

Try Frostwire - I've got quite a bit of ace Christmas music from that - or if you give me the correct titles I can probably download them from my secret download source and email them to you.

eta: - whoa, Louche slipped that little slice of bile in there while I was composing that post. I'm not being blind to your pain, Louche, I just didn't know.

[ 16.11.2006, 06:14: Message edited by: London ]

Vogon Poetess

Thanks London, but I don't really understand emailed music. Music comes on a "compact disc".

Louche- the crowds of Argos-headed zombies are admittedly a growing horror. And Kerry Katona's party buffet of cheap nastiness. And the fact that all shops have less normal stuff in, as half the shelves are taken up with overpackaged shite.

I have to spend Christmas listening to my nan bang on about my cousin's new baby, with thinly veiled hints at my obvious lesbianism/abnormality- but hopefully teasing the cat with tinsel will help me through.

--------------------

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I don't hate christmas. I associate it more these days with the one or two days of the year when my parents and their two sons are in the same place for 24 hours. There's a piss up down my old local where I might bump into pals of yesteryear, and then some awkward conversation with my brother, who I haven't really spoken to since I was 16. I'm not christmassy in any way, but there's worse things than lounging about drinking beer and jeering at the queen.

The shopping horror thing passes me by really. An evening in Selfridges usually covers all bases, and I tend to do this on my birthday as I usually take a day off. I find my birthday to be a much more depressing time than christmas itself, and doing christmas shopping takes the edge off.

[ 16.11.2006, 06:30: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post 
Cheer up, Louche!

-

Louche
quote:
Originally posted by Dedalus:
Cheer up, Louche!

I wonder how many times this had been said to me during my (three, four year?) TMO tenure?

I fucking hate cats as well.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
awww. How could anybody be a grumpy groo in the face of such adorable xmas imagery?
Louche
And baby talk.
Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:

I fucking hate cats as well.

Problem solved!

-

This topic is comprised of pages: 12 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+