Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Paris - ace or ass? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Paris - ace or ass?
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
Read Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell - you should be able to find that easily...

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Time Out do a good online guide. These two suggestions of things to do are particularly cool.

12. Dig some bones
‘Stop! This is the empire of Death!’ Not the door policy at Paris’s premier heavy metal club, but the inscription above the entrance to Les Catacombes. Seventeenth-century Parisians responded to an accommodation crisis in the city’s cemeteries by going down into miles of otherwise unused subterranean passages that had existed since Roman times. Although they are great fun, the Catacombes can be a truly disturbing experience, especially if you’ve got AC/DC on your iPod and have, ah, lunched well.
Les Catacombes, 1 pl Denfert Rochereau, 14th (00 33 1 43 22 47 63) Métro Denfert-Rochereau. Open Tue-Sun 10am-6pm. Adm €5, over-60s €3.30, students, 14-26s €2.50, under-14s free.

37. Pot the black in Clichy
A large part of the Académie de Billard’s charm is its unlikely location. Set amid the neon and bustle of Clichy, stepping into this snooker hall is like crossing into a late-nineteenth-century gentleman’s salon. Spread over two high-ceilinged rooms, it’s sumptuously spacious and kitted out with period features. By day, an enormous stained-glass ceiling bathes the tables in a lagoon of light, while at night, vintage lamps radiate a warm yellow glow. Staff in waistcoats and bow-ties dart elegantly between tables to deliver your drinks, but despite the grandeur, a relaxed atmosphere prevails. The crowd range from young Montmartre pool sharks to older regulars with their own mahogany lockers. There are plenty of options ,with full-size snooker and a good number of British and American pool tables, but the pièce de résistance has to be the five beautifully maintained French billiard tables – yes, they have no pockets, but that’s the real challenge. Waiting times are usually short and the prices are reasonable (though you’ll need photo ID). The Elbow Rooms will never seem the same again.
Académie de Billard, 84 rue de Clichy, 18th (00 33 1 48 78 32 85) Métro place de Clichy. Open 11am-6am. Price from €5-€11 per hour.

--------------------
sweet

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
Here we see Monsier Serge Gainsbourg demonstrating the charm of the French gentleman
vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
and look at whitney now!
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting detail: The French equivalent of LOL is MDR (mort de rire - approx "dies laughing"). I was hoping for a chance to use that on this thread but, you know, mort d'attendre. [Roll Eyes]
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
Unlucky, Dang. The thought was there though; that's the main thing.
ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post 
MDR
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
MDL!

[Guess the language]

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
I named my latest masterpiece 'J'hallucine' after you, Dang!

http://openstudio.media.mit.edu/art/ff8080810f0d4c34010f579c761f0244

[ 06.12.2006, 08:24: Message edited by: London ]

turbo
Gold.....
What is it good for? You can't eat it, you can't smoke it, yet everybody wants it.
 - posted      Profile for turbo           Edit/Delete Post 
Paris rocks. I was there for my work last winter and had hours to spare, so I just wandered around. It was freezing cold and all the cobblestones and trees were kind of sparkly. It was really sunny and Paris just took on a rather magical quality. It's the best place to do some people-watching. I ate something in a tiny, smoky café in the Latin Quarter and the waitress was so wonderfully rude - she just jerked her head at me instead of asking me what I wanted to order. This would piss me off mightily if someone did that to me here, but it was just part of the whole Paris experience at the time.

It doesn't matter if you don't do all the touristy things in Paris - the city just has a great atmosphere to soak up and enjoy. Just look out for the dog shit. I know it's been said before, but you can't mention the dog shit enough.

--------------------
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+