email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Curry On Regardless

Author Topic: Curry On Regardless
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow night I and some mates are going to Brick Lane for a curry. This is at the request of a friend who moved to Brussels last year, and misses curry.

Now, the only time I've been to Brick Lane was with some other forites. I found the experience a bit off-putting, and I don't think I was the only one. I really didn't like being constantly hassled as we walked down the road; there was no opportunity to just wander, look at the menus outside and casually choose a restaurant. The place we ended up in was ok, but by no means amazing.

Can anyone recommend a decent, mid-priced curryhouse on Brick Lane, or ideally one somewhere a bit nicer?

Also: your curry stories! Possibly involving next day anal atrocities.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a totally fab place behind Whitechapel High Street. It might be called the Lazeez. Or Lahore something. Miles better than Brick Lane. And not knowing the name will add to the challenge and increase appetite.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go to Brick Lane Veep.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
Tower Tandoori is really nice. It's just round the corner from where B+M live. Sort of at the end of Bermondsey street in that wierd little square.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

New Way Of Decay

Don't eat any samosas either.

--------------------

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post 
Points to VP for punnage in the thread title though. Score: +1 dangs (a Dang is the standard measure of puns, naturally)

I of course have no recommendations for you, and to make matters worse, the only Indian restaurant I had found within 20 miles of my house recently closed, so I have been unhappily curry-free* for some time.

*Not entirely true. I have curry spices in jars in the cabinet, but never having cooked it for myself, I'm frankly not sure where to begin without it coming out completely and horribly wrong.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:

Generally I agree with you, but there are a few good restaurants amongst all the dross and also quite a few excellent bars and boozers nearby so it's not that bad a choice of destination really.

Hmm, I might tube down to Tooting sometime - has the best curry houses apparently. (Bandy!) Could really go for some nice Gujarati food.

[ 22.02.2007, 14:43: Message edited by: vikram ]

New Way Of Decay

quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:

Generally I agree with you, but there are a few good restaurants amongst all the dross and also quite a few excellent bars and boozers nearby so it's not that bad a choice of destination really.
Yeah, I'll change that. Don't go down Brick Lane unless someone can suggest something. My mate ended up with a curry with no chicken in it. Just chunks of whole bone. That was a take away mind. Yould probably say something if you got that in a restaurant.

--------------------

Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post 
I once went to Brick Lane with some friends and was suckered by one of the hawkers on the street who promised us:

• 25% off the bill
  • 2 free rounds of beers
  • exclusive use of the "party room"
  • girls eating muff

I think we got three out of four, which i guess isn't too bad. I would've liked the free beers though!!11!!1 haha lolololol!!!@!

Hm. Generally Brick Lane is a bit shit though. You find find better, cheaper, more authentic food in other parts of London. Restaurants in Tooting, as Vikram suggests, are generally excellent.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
There's a totally fab place behind Whitechapel High Street. It might be called the Lazeez. Or Lahore something. Miles better than Brick Lane. And not knowing the name will add to the challenge and increase appetite.

This one.

It's fucking great!

--------------------
sweet

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
I second (or third if that's where Herbs is talking about) Lahore. The lamb chops there are fucking amazing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+