Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » How do you sleep? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How do you sleep?
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a load of "scientists say" stuff in this article about sleep.

I have to admit that I'm completely useless at sleep. I get up at 5.30am on work days, but then in the evening I forget that I have to get up at 5.30am and stay up till midnight or 1am. Then I'm in a daze most the day, but I've got so used to that over the years that it seems completely normal. It's only when we have a 4 day weekend like last weekend, or a holiday, that I wonder why I feel so good all of a sudden.

But if I do get a good night's sleep one night then I just stay up much later the next night and it all goes wrong again.

I need my mum to tell me to go to bed, at about 9pm or something.

How about you? Are you a sleeper or a yawner? Or both. Or neither.

Benny in the East
 - posted      Profile for Benny in the East           Edit/Delete Post 
I have terrible sleep patterns. I tend to not sleep until exhastion hits and then have a deep sleep for a few hours and then back to the non-sleeping thing.

I dream a lot though, so maybe I'm okay.

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very dull. I tend to go to bed about 11, read for a while, go to sleep about midnight and get up at 7.30. However, I'm very much more an owl than lark. I have to be forced from my bed with a crowbar, and don't really wake up until 3 in the afternoon. R is one of those annoying sorts who springs from bed at 6, even at the weekend, and has read half of a worthy book on climate change by the time I crawl down the stairs at 10am.
Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post 
I often cant sleep if I am not drunk. That is bad, right?
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post 
I have trouble getting off to sleep sometimes. Recently I've been getting out of bed and lying on the floor with just a sheet over me. This sometimes works for some reason. I guess it could be because I can spread out more and it's cooler. Or it could be that I can easily wrap the sheet around my head until just my nose and mouth are visible. I like to sleep like that. Sometimes I start off in the fetal position but usually I end up on my front with my head to the left holding the pillow. At some point in the early hours of the morning I'll usually awake and get back into the bed. Generally I'll go bed between 11 and 12 o clock and wake at between 7 and 7:30. I'm usually up and in the shower by 8, then I hang around the house until 9.

Christ that was boring, sorry.

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:

Yes.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:

Only if you have no more booze left in the house.

--------------------
sweet

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going 'cold turkey' for a while in January. I couldn't sleep for four fucking days. I finally gave in and bought some tablets from the pharmacy which worked very well. Worst days of my life. I hate not sleeping.

Conclusion: Not drinking is very bad for you.

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post 
A favourite of mine when drunk is to wake up about five and lie sweating and worrying about how utterly hopeless life is, and how everyone I love is going to die. Then after about two hours I go back to sleep.

I also find it hard to sleep on holiday, so they end up being not very relaxing at all.

[ 12.04.2007, 10:32: Message edited by: herbs ]

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to sleep if I haven't - you know - come within the last hour or so, and if it's the night after a heavy night, I often need three or four orgasms in a row before I can settle down enough to get to sleep.

Other than that... I dunno. I'm quite a heavy sleeper; seem to need quite a lot of it. 10.30 til 7.00 is ideal, but I'm terrible for waking up in the middle of the night needing to pee, trying to get back to sleep and then having really disturbed sleep peppered with dreams nabout going to the loo but not actually getting any relief (thank christ, I suppose). That always really fucks up my sleep. End up getting up to piss at 6am, falling into a deep, deep sleep at 6.30 and then getting woken up at 6.55 wanting to kill someone.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Tilde:
I can easily wrap the sheet around my head until just my nose and mouth are visible.

What the fuck..?

--------------------
sweet

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
Typically I go to bed at about 1am. I'll then lay in bed for about an hour trying to get comfortable because my bed is broken and has a massive dip in the middle (you are the massive dip in the middle, ringo) then nod off. About an hour later I'll wake up and repeat the process. I'll then wake up around 6.45, 15 minutes before official wake-up time. 'Ah' I think ' a little bit of snoozing time'. I wake up again at about 8.15, leap out of bed with squinty panicky eyes, sup down a mug of black coffee like it's medicine, then dress quickly and leave for work.

Sometimes I'm on auto pilot to such an extent that I'll be halfway to work before I have a lucid moment and think "oh, I'm nearly at work... how did that happen" when my last memory was laying in bed feeling warm.

I do this every day.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is a nightmare to deal with sleepwise. Stop me if I've told this tale before. Oh, you can't. Oh well. My brother is two years older than me but he was never a typical older brother, never did all the older brother things. If anything, I picked on him.

Anyway, when he left school he was fired from more than one job for his tardiness. He was just incapable of getting himself out of bed. So, every morning I'd be woken up by my parents screaming outside my bedroom door..."Steven.....STEVEN!"

My mum threw a bucket of water over him once. That was cool. But mostly the whole thing was just a pain in the arse. The thing was, his bedroom was a loft extension and you had to climb up a ladder to get there. The foot of the ladder was just outside my bedroom door and the height of the ladder meant my mum or my dad were not going to climb up there to wake their first born, but would stand at the bottom bellowing up at him instead.

Eventually, after being fired from another job, the only employment he could find meant starting at 6:30 in the morning or something. No alarm clock would rouse him so it fell to my parents once again to get him up. Reasoning that he was buggered if he was going to get out of bed at 6:00am every day, my dad did what all true dads would do: bought an industrial fire bell from a reclaimation yard, bolted it to the headboard of my brother's bed, ran a wire down the wall and across the landing and into my parents bedroom then wired it into a doorbell push, which he attached to the wall by his bed. That way, every morning at 6:00 my dad's clock radio would go off and he would beginthe ceremonial sounding of the bells.

BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING!

This would go on until my brother's voice (very angry) cut through the noise: "Alright! Alright! I'm up!"

He was never up. The process would be repeated three or four times. The last time, my dad would not stop pushing the button until my brother actually came down his ladder and begged him to stop.

This buzzer was fucking ridiculous. I swear, if he wasn't in bed when it was pressed, the bed used to walk across the room like something from Poltergeist.

When I started at university, one of my mates came to stay over the summer. He slept on the floor of my room. At 6:00am, he shot bolt upright: "What the fuck was that?"

The room was shaking and buzzing, a small earthquake was going on in the eaves of our house.

"It's just my brother," I said with embarassment, "he can't get up in the morning so my dad has bolted an industrial fire bell to his headboard and attached it to a doorbell push."

"Oh," he said, pausing before asking, "How old is your brother?"

"23."

Twenty three fucking years old. He's thirty seven now and he’s still as bad. Maybe you need to borrow my dad Dang.

[ 12.04.2007, 10:37: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
I can only get to sleep if I gently rock myself and make low humming noise for about half an hour. Like an "errrrrrr--errrrrr--errrrr", while I sort of press my head against the wall. One girlfriend used to say that I acted like an Albanian orphan. I also cry a lot in my sleep, I'm told.
Ringo

Also, (and this is one of the biggest motivational factors for wanting to move back out again) my bedroom is right next to the bathroom. My parents, now approaching retirement age, seem to need to get up and piss about 500 times a night. Not only do they do this, but insist on peeing as noisily as fucking possible right into the toilet water. This usually happens just as I'm drifting off to sleep, I'm startled by the noise of the door, and then have to rush to get my pillow clamped as firmly over my ears as possible while going "laalaalaaIcan'treallyhearmymumpissinglaalala"
Black Mask

I never have any trouble getting to sleep drunk or sober. I fucking hate getting up for work, though. Weekends and on holiday I'm out of my pit at the crack of dawn. Monday to Friday? Fuggeddaboutit.

--------------------
sweet

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Don't you stop needing sleep when you have children?
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
peeing as noisily as fucking possible right into the toilet water.

Do you think they're doing this on purpose? Maybe they hang off the shower rail, or do handstands to increase the pissing distance?

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep upside down. Hanging by my toes.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Man it is totally like 2002 today. For a second there I couldn't tell the difference between Louche and Lucid again.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
Don't you stop needing sleep when you have children?

That's sex you're thinking about.

The boys are away in Dundee this week and it's the first time I've had morning sex in ages. Can't speak for the missus, obv.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
quote:
Man it is totally like 2002 today. For a second there I couldn't tell the difference between Louche and Lucid again.

I wasn't even here in 2002. [Mad]
Louche
I don't know why I did the madface. Sorry, Jonesy. I'm not really mad.
Tilde
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Tilde           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my dad did what all true dads would do: bought an industrial fire bell from a reclaimation yard, bolted it to the headboard of my brother's bed, ran a wire down the wall and across the landing and into my parents bedroom then wired it into a doorbell push, which he attached to the wall by his bed. That way, every morning at 6:00 my dad's clock radio would go off and he would beginthe ceremonial sounding of the bells.

BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING! BRRRRRAGGGGHIIIING!

I love the fact that your dad pioneered the Big Brother wake up method. Your dad sounds excellent. [Cool]
Ringo

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Do you think they're doing this on purpose? Maybe they hang off the shower rail, or do handstands to increase the pissing distance?

I think they might be subtly trying to motivate me into moving out. It's bloody working too.

I swear, I haven't had a single good night's sleep since moving back. When I was living with adam, despite the stress of living with a borderline obsessive compulsive, I'm sure I generally went to bed, slept relatively soundly through the night, then woke up just in time to stop the alarm from going off.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Hey Black Mask, everyone I've told that my wife is having twins has laughed in my face. Not just a little laugh but great, big, hearty belly laughs. My sister almost crashed her car from laughing so hard. My mum had to run to the toilet before her bladder exploded and my other sister just laughed and laughed and laughed in my face - between hysterical sobs of mirth she managed to spit out the sentence "We were just talking about twins the other day....hahahahhahaha.... it could happen to anyone but it didn't .....ahahahaha ....it happened to Uncle Bastard. Hahahahahahaha"

So, yeah, BM, you've got twins. Any advice? Apart from "Track down the father and give him a good kicking."

[ 12.04.2007, 10:48: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep badly.
I wake up about once an hour or so, then I get up at least once to pee and once to have a drink (y'know if I drank my own pee I need not get out of bed at all).

Then when the alarm goes off I jump out of bed and sit around for an hour drinking tea till I'm in a fit state to leave for work.

However, if I pass out on the couch drunk I sleep like a fucking log.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
I wasn't even here in 2002. [Mad]

Sorry, must have been Lucid.
Black Mask

quote:
my wife is having twins

What!?

Did I know this?! Sorry, I've been a bit...

You're expecting twins!? I knew your old lady was up the duff but...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA In... your... face!

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Any advice?

Twins are a piece of piss. Breast is best. Get them into a sleep pattern asap, sleep training... you train them to sleep, or something. It works. I'll look it up.

Um... don't buy a baby bath. They're a waste of money, they'll give you a bad back and it's more fun taking the kids in the bath with you. Once they're crawling they'll keep each other entertained.

Finally, remember, CHOICE IS THE ENEMY OF HARMONY!

--------------------
sweet

sam
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for sam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
y'know if I drank my own pee I need not get out of bed at all

You can get your own cock in your mouth?

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted.
In memory of Alastair

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I am really undisciplined when it comes to going to bed. The last couple of nights I've gone to sleep somewhere around 2 to 2.30 am. This has a knock-on effect in that yesterday I eventually got up at maybe 8.15 and today it was just before 8 - luckily I have a well-honed morning routine and this doesn't make me late for work. A more usual bedtime is between midnight and 1am, getting up around 7.30. I used to really sleep in at the weekends but I don't these days - for some reason I'm more alert and usually get up between 8 and 9 then.

I have a barrage of alarms on the go: Mobile phone which starts going off at 7 and has a 9 minute snooze cycle, clock radio alarm (ditto) and finally a mechanical jobbie with the bells on the top, on a chest of drawers on the other side of the room and has me out of bed like a shot to turn it off, because it's really loud and really annoying, but which sadly doesn't prevent me from flopping back into bed for some more zeds.

I get to sleep without problem (often whilst lying on the sofa with a laptop resting precariously on my stomach in the middle of a Messenger conversation, as various Messenger contacts can verify). I don't need to pee in the middle of the night.

I can't usually remember my dreams.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darryn.R:
I sleep badly.
I wake up about once an hour or so, then I get up at least once to pee and once to have a drink (y'know if I drank my own pee I need not get out of bed at all).

Hello Darryn hope you are feeling better [Cool]

While you've been away we were all talking on another thread, and we've got sometihng to ask you. We would all be very happy and would like it very much if you could possibly give Zygote the tag 'The thinking woman's Harlequin'. I know I haven't donated for a while but it's not just me asking, we all would like that.

So please please please please, on behalf of all of of us I am asking if you could tag Zygote with that [Smile]

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I will pay cash money if you do that too.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
My alarm goes off at 8:00am which gives me plenty of time to get ready and wander down for the the 08:35 train. Yesterday morning I must have turned the alarm off, rolled over and gone back to sleep. I woke up at 10:00am, and found my mobile had about ten text messages from my boss asking "where are you?"

Meh.

I'm sleeping in the lounge/living room at the moment because the bedroom is in mid-decoration (down to the bare plaster). My cat, M@~, has got into the wonderful habit of waking up around 5:30 every day and clawing me in the face/neck/testicles.

[Frown]

This topic is comprised of pages: 3 1  2  3 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+