Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Bring it on, you mooks! Life advice. (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Bring it on, you mooks! Life advice.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I have a job interview on Monday. I currently own one suit (the one I got married in) and 1 tie (ditto). First question is; is it good karma/bad form to wear this? Should I get a new suit?

Second one is that the company is a very pro- personal development company (it gives an annual £125 self development grant to all staff for what ever extra carricula activities you want - as well as funding any professional for-the-job training).

What should I look at developing? What would you develop? If I wanted to learn, say, IT from scratch, what would be the best path to this (ie what computing languages or packages would you recommend learning as the building blocks of an overall knowledge).

Maybe the second question is a bit previous, but still, you never know.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it is not a morning suit and the sort you would see people wear to a city job, I wouldn't see it as a problem unless you feel uncomfortable wearing it - after all the interviewer will not know you wore it to get married in, unless it still is covered in confetti.

As for personal development, well it depends on what the job is - if IT is a major factor of the job but wont detract from the job you are in line for, then I would do that, though courses are expensive - a lot of the ones I have done can be as much as a grand for a one day course.

As for what course to do, again depends on the job, and what they use there, but things like Java and .NET seem to be the most handy of things to know for programming these days.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post 
Learn the banjo. The banjo is great.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Buck-a-dung-dung dung-dung dung-dung dung

--------------------
sweet

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Also, Benny. Have you completley given up on film for good? If you're a sound man (I'm not sure that is the case) couldn't you just supplement things with TV work in between the lo/no-paid exciting stuff?

Not that I want to discourage you from having a proper career or anything.

[ 25.04.2007, 05:37: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
BM - that's the beginning of duelling banjos isn't it.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
The correct answer was dunga-dung dung duuuung, Benway.

[ 25.04.2007, 05:40: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
BM - that's the beginning of duelling banjos isn't it.

Plunk!

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
That's the beauty of the personal development grant, I could learn the banjo - there's a listening to musci OU course, that sounds great, which I'm going to do anyway.

As for film - it's just not viable for me at the moment in this country - television has become a closed shop for the old BBC boys network (The Bill told me that they haven't had as many cv's from technicians in their entire history than they have this year) and low budget has become slave labour/subsidise our industry budget.

Problem is; used to be high end, high budget (mainly US funded) films over here, but the dollar is weak, people less inclined to travel, and US actors charge an "overseas" charge that is ridiculous. Only contending studio over here is Working Title, and even they get funded from overseas for the most part (but are a fantastic company to work for, don't get me wrong!). Mid range films (ie £5-10m or so) have vanished over here - no producers to talk of (most money came from risk investors who knew nothing about film, and were using it as a tax write off, but the tax laws have changed) and no productions either. This was where those that had cut their teeth moved up into before they could break onto the big films. Low budget used to mean £3.5m, now it can mean anything from £100,000-2m - which is fine, but there aren't even that many of these around.

I love film, and will no doubt try it when in LA, but over here the industry is screwed, it's full of bitter, alcoholic, bullying bigots with no creativity.

So, I've decided to step away from it all. I enjoyed making a short with my friend alone in the woods more than any of the work I've done in the last three years - and have only worked on 2 or 3 films that I've been inspired and proud of - and it's so invasive (working 14-16 hour days, six days a week can be a drag) at a time when I haven't had a honeymoon, and am talking about kids with the wife.

--------------------

Black Mask

x

[ 25.04.2007, 06:39: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
over here the industry is screwed, it's full of bitter, alcoholic, bullying bigots with no creativity.

Can you get me an 'in'?
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Doesn't ring a bell - I do know some black folks called Jason, but never heard them referred to as Cisco - where's he from?

[ 25.04.2007, 07:00: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
quote:

Television has become a closed shop for the old BBC boys network.

It's not impossible to crack it, though. A friend of mine retrained in sound a few years back and he's earning a half decent living freelancing. He occasionally cracks the old boys network and covers at Eastenders - and that's been getting more regular recently. He's been freelancing for around two years and the work has become pretty regular now. Obviously he's not working on fantastic productions but he's certainly not starving.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:
quote:
over here the industry is screwed, it's full of bitter, alcoholic, bullying bigots with no creativity.

Can you get me an 'in'?
Ha ha - I have a fountain of un-bitter advice that you can tap if you really want in.

Side note - I still absolutely love film - and will be teaching a film class in May and watching the Goddard film tonight!

--------------------

Black Mask

x

[ 25.04.2007, 06:40: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
quote:

It's not impossible to crack it, though. A friend of mine retrained in sound a few years back and he's earning a half decent living freelancing. He occasionally cracks the old boys network and covers at Eastenders - and that's been getting more regular recently. He's been freelancing for around two years and the work has become pretty regular now. Obviously he's not working on fantastic productions but he's certainly not starving.
There is a little bit of rivalry between tv and film, and it's been exagerated of late. A lot of the smaller television productions have stopped (3 Mills, where Bad Girls and Dream Team were filmed) have ended or are about to end. I had the chance a few years back to get into television, and swerved it for a couple of films.

I think, to be honest, I'm more tired of the industry than I realise, and just need a break.

--------------------

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Fair enough. [Cool]
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
I don't think I know him (my dad knows more dodge pots of all ages than I do) but I'd like to.

[ 25.04.2007, 06:59: Message edited by: Benny the Ball ]

--------------------

Black Mask

quote:
I don't think I know him (my dad knows more dodge pots of all ages than I do) but I'd like to.

Oh well...

Any chance of editing his description out, just in case anyone's watching?

[ 25.04.2007, 06:42: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Sidney
Her Glorious Reneging Brumness
 - posted      Profile for Sidney           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
quote:

Freelancing does seem to be the way to go, if you're particularly determined. When I worked at the BBC, I met quite a few people who had been employed there on freelance 'contracts' for upwards of 10 years or more. Most seemed happy with this arrangement; something to do with being able to move from one type of programming to another. Others (the ones who had been doing it for more than 15 years) were amusingly embittered. Especially if they finally secured a permanent contract and were then told that they had to attend a four day induction course.....

--------------------
They give you a pen as fat as a modest cock and you're expected to dab it on the page, as though you were mopping the dregs of an afternoon Tommy.

sabian

- posted      Profile for sabian           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an interview tomorrow and I'm gonna go smart/casual... I can't be fucked with suits/ties... Never could.

I hope I get it though, it's ridiculous money and if I have to suit/tie for it... I may have to relent my values...

As to "IT from scratch"... Learn hardware first. Do a pc maintance course... If you can learn how to take apart and rebuilt a computer from scratch, that goes a long way in helping the rest of the whole troubleshooting thing... I helped someone sort out a software issue yesterday on a peice of software I had never heard of simply by pretending it was hardware and using the same logic that applies.

What course specifically? I'd do CompTIA A+ hardware and then OS... After that, and depending on how far you wanted to go, there's Net+ and Linux+... These courses are hands on enough that you'll learn stuff but not so intensive that you'll get baffled by the science.

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
Sabian, how did yours go?

Mine was okay - I'm so out of practice and the tests afterwards had my brain freeze at one point - but it went okay I think. I'm a bit worried that they haven't given me a date that they will let me know by, just a sooner rather than later. Anyway - new suit was looking good - I was going to get a fantastic brown 70's looking number with a mustard tie, but it was a bit too Life on Mars for the interview, so went a little conservative.

Then I went and met an old sound friend, who showed me an interesting document, basically a camera hire company going into receivership, who they owe, why they had and what they had done to try and stop it. Lot's of private individuals are going to get hurt in the film industry [Frown] unless they sort it out...

Anyway - then went an listened to accoustic checks at the royal festival hall which was great.

Okay, stop boring you all know, will let you know when I hear something....

--------------------

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was going to get a fantastic brown 70's looking number with a mustard tie, but it was a bit too Life on Mars for the interview, so went a little conservative.

shame. that sounds like a fly look you would have been rocking. but still good luck.

anyway. id like to ask some life advice. its not about a job interview, hahaha, as if. what id like the forum's advice about is, i think i might be using the adjective 'awesome' a little bit too much. i reckon i probably describe something as awesome- completely unironically, mind- between seven and twelve times a day. does the forum think this is too much? i am thirty- two this week and im beginning to wonder if thats a bit old to be saying things are 'awesome'. maybe i should be making a concerted effort towards 'splendid' or 'jolly' or 'spiffing' or something a bit more older- like.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

sabian

quote:
Originally posted by dance margarita:
i think i might be using the adjective 'awesome' a little bit too much. i reckon i probably describe something as awesome- completely unironically, mind- between seven and twelve times a day. does the forum think this is too much? i am thirty- two this week and im beginning to wonder if thats a bit old to be saying things are 'awesome'. maybe i should be making a concerted effort towards 'splendid' or 'jolly' or 'spiffing' or something a bit more older- like.

UR  - &ICM£5

--------------------
Evil isn't what you've done, it's feeling bad about it afterwards... Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Is that Donny Osmond?

[ 01.05.2007, 08:12: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post 
i dont know who that is! i dont have a working telly at the moment. i do wish i could watch extreme home makeover though. friends tell me its awesome. (< completely instinctive. you see the problem? i think i might be misapplying the term 40% of the time, which doesnt help)

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

sabian

quote:
Sabian, how did yours go?

No idea... It was the 2nd round of shortlisting.

CV was short listed and then I was 'invited for an informal chat and assessment test'.

The chat was hurried because the guy doing the chat was responsible for some software that went tits up and was costing millions every minute it was down so it was a 'hi, here's the test, I'll be back in a bit' jobby.

The assessment itself was 10 questions, 7 I knew no problem. 8th was tricky but answerable using applied logic from other software packages. 9th was an either or... I either got it right or I completely cocked it up. And number 10 was a complete fucking guess. I contemplated leaving it blank but I figured a blank would mean that I couldn't be bothered where as even if I completely missed the plot, I still gave it my best effort thus if employed I'd be worthy of the £40k they're offering as a start.

I should know by the end of the week if I was short listed again... If I was, I will then be 'invited for a proper interview'...

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
I just phoned the personnel department, and was beautiful shunted and left unanswered as I enquired as to what the hell was happening. The woman who is in charge of that roll is out of the office until wednesday... I feel like I don't have the job now, and feel useless and crap at everything and depressed and stuck in this stupid life and body with weak hands and little soft fingers and no skills what so ever [Frown]

Cheer us up Sabian...

--------------------

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
I just failed my first interview in ages. It normally takes me months to actually get an interview in the first place, but when I finally do then I get the job no problem. This time I got an interview straight away and they said "no".

Shame. Was quite a nice sounding contract, and I thought the interview went well. Must've said something they didn't like I suppose.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
I need advice on how to get Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares 2 U out of my head, specifically the "it's just no good anymore" line.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Must've said something they didn't like I suppose.

Did you mention the prostitutes?

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
I need advice on how to get Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares 2 U out of my head.

Look, you're just going to have to move on. I'm not coming back. You had your chance.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
Sing "Private Dancer" by Tina Turner. Statistically proven to remove any other song within seconds. Even more effective than

GHOST BUSTERS!!!!!

dun dun dunerer DER DER

GHOST BUSTERS!!!!

(Actually, I take that back. Ghostbusters is way more viral than Private Dancer.)

Black Mask

Actually, that made me think of something... Hadn't we better filthy the place up while jonesy's away? Otherwise he'll blame himself for all the recent bleakness.

--------------------
sweet

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post 
do a really gross friday fun thread

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+