email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » The End of an Era

Author Topic: The End of an Era
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post 
I've just got the news I didn't want to hear - I've known for a while it might happen, but I've just got off the phone with a very tearful friend in pieces because of it. I'm writing it on here as a few of you know the place from your visits.

The Black and White, my boozer here in Amsterdam, the place that made me move here, has been sold and is being closed down to be redeveloped.

I'm just in shock. Numb. That place means the world to me and now some Chinese guys have bought it and have plans to redevelop it into something else. Its been there 30 years, and I've been drinking there for 10. And after July I won't be able to drink there again.

I just feel so empty...

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

That fucking sucks dude, I have to spend one more drunken night there singing AC/DC tunes before it closes!

Sorry for not sorting anything for this month, things have been busy what with a new boss and all, we need to arrange a firm date for El Fiesta Espana too..

[ 24.05.2007, 17:33: Message edited by: Physic ]

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post 
i guess that the places i hang out are pretty much about who goes there and what bands play. i don't really have any loyalty. at the end of the day there are a dozen or so places i count as my frequent haunts. the idea of being aregukar at any one bar is a bit alien. but if freuds closed down, or the old blue last actually (fantastic bands play there often) i would be a bit sad. so yeah my condolences or whatever
Waynster

quote:
Originally posted by Physic:

Sorry for not sorting anything for this month, things have been busy what with a new boss and all, we need to arrange a firm date for El Fiesta Espana too..

No worries mate, when you can - hey I'll be just down the road this weekend in Brighton if you are in the area and fancy a pint?

As to what Vikram said, he hit the nail exactly on the head when he said its the people that make up the place, and I will miss. A quick squizz at the numbers in my phone and over 40 are from people from the pub, and there are many, many more from there that I class as friends. Its impossible that all will up sticks to a new location and just carry on where we left off, and knowing that the last night I walk in there and see them all in the same place for the very last time is going to be the killer [Frown]

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post 
Bad luck, Waynster. I've never had that close an association with any one boozer, but I've seen some nice pubs I've frequented submit to the gentrifiers, and it is sad, I suppose. The Plough became Paradise, the Grey Horse became some poncy vodka bar, the Alexandra became the Liquid Lounge, the Heroes of Alma became some yuppie's front room, the Lord Rodney's Head became the Funky fucking Monkey, the Devonshire became Mook... ah well... *sobs into pint

[ 25.05.2007, 02:25: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Waynster

I'm seriously considering starting a campaign for the new owners to leave it alone. Its historically an important part of the Amsterdam rock scene, and world famous. Some of its clientelle of the past few years are extremely well known - The Rolling Stones (naturally - it is also known as the Rolling Stones bar and has been a meeting point for fans for years) have been known to visit. Bruce Dickinson always stops by when in town, I've had a beer with Quentin Tarantino in there, Willie Nelson is known to enjoy a pint or two, Devin Townsend (of strapping young lad) drank rather a lot of Jaegermeisters in a short time and fell asleep at the bar. Tom Araya of Slayer got in a strop because he wasn't being treated as a 'star'. Slash held his album launch party there, James Hetfield has been known to have a pint or two, I bought Ginger from the Wildhearts his first beer of 2004 in there (it was february), I talked football with Harry from Thunder, goofed to Share Pedersen of Vixen/Bubble/Dogs D'amour how lovely she was but always loved her bandmate Janet more, had a piss next to the drummer from the Black Crowes.... so many memories, and with its important links to the rock scene it is a travesty to turn it into yet another PWP.

--------------------

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Waynster:
I'm seriously considering starting a campaign

That's not a bad idea. You should contact some of those Rock Glitterati who've got pissed there, maybe you could organise a buy-out. It could be a sleazy Rock collective.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

Benefit gig?

--------------------
sweet

Waynster

Read my mind BM! I've just emailed Bruce Dickinson to see if he would be interested in offering a message of support. The local media I could get on side I am sure, and i did consider a benefit, but it would have to be a massive gig to raise the 4 million euros or so to buy it off the new owners. Still Iron Maiden headlining would be a sure fire way to make a few quid.

I'm going to give it some serious thought over the weekend, speak to some friends who feel like I do and see what can be done. Sadly it is if I am a realist probably impossible, but I am not one just to roll over and let it slide. I'll take the fuckers on and get my pub back!

--------------------

Waynster

Promising start! Bruce's computer has just mailed me saying he might read my mail though due to the amount of traffic he may not.

The Glass is half full. I see this as a good start!

--------------------

Black Mask

You want to email all the music papers and magazines that might give a toss around the world, gee them up. Visit as many rock fansites, official sites with message boards and rock forums and spread the word. Get the Minister for Culture involved, you know, heritage, social history, tourism... It's a lot of work, but you could do most of it from your desk.

And if it doesn't work out you should start an Adopt-a-Rocker campaign to find new pubs for all the displaced drunks from the B&W.

--------------------
sweet

Waynster

BM - I like your thinking! I think you may be hired as an honorary campaign manager.

I'm going to do what I can to stop this - everyone is out saving whales, little blacke africans, but no one cares about the poor metal kids! Someone should care - I care!

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck.

When did that all happen ?

Arse.

I mean, there's loads of other pubs, but not like that, not like the Black..

What will become of them, that's not so much a staff as a family..

I suppose it was sadly always going to happen though, that location must be worth a shed load of cash, with a spare shed thrown in for good measure and a bucket of cash on the side.

When's the sad shutdown.

And it's shutting in JULY ! Fuck me, peak tourist season ! These new owners must be rolling in it, the bouw vancantie (builders holiday, yes they stop buliding and making building supplies here for 3-4 weeks end July mid August) starts in July, it'll closed till at least the end of September !

(Why are you going to Brighton ? Work or fun ?)

[ 25.05.2007, 04:30: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Physic
Digital PIMP !
 - posted      Profile for Physic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll be just down the road this weekend in Brighton if you are in the area and fancy a pint?

Meant to reply to this earlier, sorry dude but I have plans this weekend, having dinner with Scott and Sel at the Thai place in Guildford I think I told you about tomorrow, and seeing Spiderman at the flicks on Sunday, probably followed by much beer at you know where. Hope you have a good time in Brighton though, shame the weather is meant to be a bit crap.

I will have to sort out a weekend to come visit you boys though, it's been far too long and the impending closure of one of the best metal pubs in existence just steels my resolve to visit soon.

[ 25.05.2007, 18:11: Message edited by: Physic ]

Waynster

Boy do I feel hungover today. Jolly to Brighton was for the 20 year reunion of Damon & Nathan's old band Hydra Vein - took the 20 year on photo. Plus I think I have drunk 30 pints of ale in the last three days, three english breakfasts and a curry - all favourites of re-aquainting myself with blighty (and that includes getting piss-wet through on a bank holiday monday)

Yeah the black situation is pretty much done, and there seems to be little that can be done. Latest rumour is that the old Broodje van koodje and the Rock in Roll out have all been bought, so it looks like it will be one 'grand cafe' over that side of the square.

Wankers. Ruin my pub will they?

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
quote:
Boy do I feel hungover today. Jolly to Brighton was for the 20 year reunion of Damon & Nathan's old band Hydra Vein - took the 20 year on photo. Plus I think I have drunk 30 pints of ale in the last three days, three english breakfasts and a curry - all favourites of re-aquainting myself with blighty (and that includes getting piss-wet through on a bank holiday monday)

Yeah the black situation is pretty much done, and there seems to be little that can be done. Latest rumour is that the old Broodje van koodje and the Rock in Roll out have all been bought, so it looks like it will be one 'grand cafe' over that side of the square.

Wankers. Ruin my pub will they?

They must be fucking rich though.

Bastards.. Now where ?

(Just bought myself a new amp mate, where the hell to you do buy a scart to rgb cable in this country ?)

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Waynster

I'm pretty sure I have one or two lying around

--------------------

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
RGB - Or is it RGBs now ?

Fuck, I'm out of touch now..

Sounds good though, and auto calibration is a treat !

--------------------

Harlequin
Sponsored by Rohypnol®
 - posted      Profile for Harlequin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Black and White, my boozer here in Amsterdam, the place that made me move here, has been sold and is being closed down to be redeveloped.

So you have only got one decent boozer which you frequent? Surely there must be other decent pubs in Amsterdam.
Waynster

Fuck off Harley and talk about something you pretend to know something about, ok?

--------------------

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post 
bit harsh, waynster. i thought it was funny.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+