Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » What new music have you bought recently?

Author Topic: What new music have you bought recently?
anno
 - posted      Profile for anno           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you all listening too?

I think there are many fantastic bands out there at the moment but i don't have a clue what their names are so i am hoping you can give me some recommendations.

My tastes vary. I bought my son The Black Eyed Peas album which i love but with so many other types of music out there i know i am really missing out on some good bands.

--------------------
I'll give up tomorrow what i can't be arsed to give up today. Repeat daily - it works for me.

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, anno, thanks for asking. It's been a while since a bought any new music - probably about four weeks or so. Went through a big spate of buying CDs and then just suddenly stopped, so if anyone's got any hott recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them. I think the last thing I bought was Ziltoid the Omniscient, which was fantastic, musically, but too wrapped up in its own zaniness to be the kind of record you can connect with.

I also recently downloaded The Tempest by the Insane Clown Posse, in a fit of nostalgia for the days of 1998 when I used to listen to The Great Milenko. Possibly the most irredeemably awful rap outfit ever, there's something that appeals to me about ICP. Perhaps it's just because they're so shit I find them endearing. Or maybe it's just that they're so childishly offensive, devoid of talent and universally hated I find it easy to relate to them. Whatever the reason, The Tempest made my stomach turn when I put it on, so lame and cheesy and pointless it all is. But after a couple of listens it started to get its hooks into me. I can't say why - but the song Growin' Again is the most uplifting thing I've heard all year. I don't know. I don't understand it. I appreciate that this probably marks me as irretrievably beyond help in terms of musical credibility, if that hadn't already been obvious. But who the fuck cares, eh?

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Pepper
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pepper           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently enjoying The Dwarves and The Teddybears, but if you like Black Eyed Peas that will probably be of supreme disinterest to you.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent parts of Saturday and Sunday driving around some lovely parts of North Yorkshire, with the sun shining, listening to Chet Baker in concert somewhere, and it was fucking fantastic. There were regular gaps in his singing and trumpet playing, during songs, presumably so he could inject some more heroin and thus soar up to the brown, scaggy heights of melodic, introspective melancholy.

The cool bastard.

Oh hang on you said "new" music. Sorry. Delete delete delete.

Pepper
TMO Member
Oh yeah, mine's not new either. I didn't "buy" it either, I stole it.
Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually don't think anno will ever know or care that you didn't adhere to his thread boundaries.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking at really old YouTube videos of Senseless Things I'm afraid. Sorry.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been watching the video for The Promise You Made by Cock Robin on YouTube. When Anna LaCazio does that little body shimmy thing, on stage, in bare feet... brrrr.
Nathan Bleak
I just bought that new 6CD set of Bantock's orchestral works. I don't really know what I was thinking. I heard about ten minutes of the Celtic Symphony on the radio last night and thought it sounded pretty good, but then got caught up on the wave of "OH MY GODDD!!! IT'S A BRITISH COMPOSER WHO WAS FORGOTTEN AND NOW WE'VE REDISCOVERED HIM AND IT'S AMAZING!!!" hype and just ordered the box set of off the HMV site. Six CDs. That's ridiculous. When am I going to sit down and listen to six full CDs of recordings by a composer who's only famous because noone had heard of him? What have I done?

--------------------

Pepper
TMO Member
You've been suckered!

Never mind, give it to your dad for christmas.

Nathan Bleak
I think the dad thing was the main reason I bought it I wanted to have something where I could go "oh... had you not heard of him, then? I thought you - you know - claimed to be interested in classical music?" sort of like that. I don't know. He's all up in my face about mortgages and things I don't understand now, anyway, which has taken the fun out of it. It's all like "Oh haven't you heard of Banto-" and he's like "Shut up, son and listen. You've just signed away everything you're ever going to earn and you're getting nothing back. What were you doing? Why didn't you talk to me?" "-you claim to be interested in -" "This isn't time for frivolity, son. This is exactly what happens when you act like you can make it on your own." It's getting me down.

--------------------

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anno's son was thirteen when he posted this thread, he'd be sixteen or seventeen now.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he doesn't like the Black Eyed Peas anymore. Anything could have happened in those almost-four years.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

wonderstarr
TMO Member
I am listening to someone called "Wiley" with the album Playtime is Over.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gone back in time and am listening to Lamb - fear of fours.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

Can you post more please, Pepper?

--------------------

Cactus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Cactus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if Pepper is actually Brian Peppers. That would be ace.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got tickets for the Orange Goblin Xmas show!

--------------------
sweet

Pepper
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
Can you post more please, Pepper?

I'd like to, but your request has given me performance anxiety and my brain is now completely empty except for Dulux paint chart details.

I can't even think of anything to say about being Brian Peppers. [Frown]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the Part Chimp album.

[ 08.02.2008, 06:23: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's good.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't bought any new albums for a while. Mostly been buying up old stuff on vinyl, after getting over-excited about the new record player. Settling down a bit now, though. Buying records is expensive.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the soundtrack to Moon the other day. It's good though a little 'samey' throughout.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Film scores are like that though, aren't they? Tend to be two or three main themes performed with slight variations.
Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, pretty much. It depends on the film really. Some films just use a load of different pop tracks so the soundtrack is little more than a generic compilation of, say, dance music.

The Fight Club soundtrack was pretty good.

Generally speaking though, anything by Clint Mansell is ok by me.

Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like riz ortilini / Fabio Frizzi / goblin stuff A LOT. Goblin especially. Saw them live didnt i, doing all the argento stuff + dawn of the dead. Great.
Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New stuff I've had my little brother DL and/ or copy: Hexes and Ohs and Owl City. They're both good, but the guy who is Owl City is fabulously taleneted. Sure you all heard the song fireflies.

Although, recently I've been youtubing Sisters of Mercy quite a bit. The Cure, obviously. And maybe a little Cocteau Twins. Oh and I did youtube (shamefully, only to see Alexander Skarsgard) Lady Gaga's Papaparazzi video...I want to like her, but I just can't. Although her um, 'fashion' is kinda cool.

I like Rihanna as well, but haven't gotten anything by her.

I've been listening to Interpol and The Vines A LOT recently. Even made Evil my ringtone.

Amy
Transatlantic temptress
 - posted      Profile for Amy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh,t forgot: MGMT and Matt & Kim.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+