Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Music » Most Musical City (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Most Musical City
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Arse

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you're forgetting that The Beatles were from Liverpool, BM...
And Gerry...
And The Pay Smakers...
And, erm Cillerhoea

Oh, is this supposed to be current? Like in the year 2008?

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WEBSITE

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Only one scene has ever changed the world – Merseybeat.

The post-austerity Britain of the 60's is heralded as a golden age when skirts got shorter, love got free-er and the world danced to Britain's beat. At the centre of the world was Liverpool and four mop-topped Scousers who had emerged from the Cavern Club to change music for ever.

Yet, the reason why you should vote Liverpool the Most Musical City is about more than just John, Paul, George and Ringo. Yes, the Beatles are as famous today as when they split up almost 40 years ago, but there's much more to Liverpool's music scene which continues to consistently produce innovative artists who retain the intrinsic character of the city.

Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Searchers and Cilla Black all played a part in making the 60's swing before Liverpool artists cleverly avoided the decade that music forgot – the 70's. Instead Scouse tunesmiths retired to think again, emerging from Eric's Nightclub in the form of Echo and the Bunnymen, the Mighty Wah!, The Teardrop Explodes and to ruffle the feathers of Radio One with Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

The 1990's saw more perfect pop from The Farm, The Boo Radleys, Cast, Space and The La's whose 'There She Goes' remains a timeless classic and a must have for the soundtrack of any romantic comedy. With The Zutons, The Coral and Candie Payne as chart favourites, the Mersey Sound remains, ably supported by a classical music history with The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, one of the oldest concert-giving organisations in the world, at its heart.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

How the fuck did Merseybeat change the world?!

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ, that's so wrong it is hurting me inside.
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they had to give it to Liverpool or they'd never have fucking shut up about it. The Beatles trump everyone else anyway, and at least they actually did come from Liverpool. Most the famous "Manchester" bands actually come from places like Wigan, Salford, Warrington, Macclesfield and even Wilmslow (if you include Doves as a band). Same applies to London.

Sheffield have quite a few famous bands, but I can't stand a single fucking one of them (except Pulp).

Louche
Liverpool, though, dang. Liverpool.

Rather London than Liverpool, and I don't say that lightly.

Black Mask

Handy

I'd have given it to Birmingham, just for Black Sabbath and The Move.

--------------------
sweet

MKandy
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for MKandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it was going to be Liverpool before i even looked at the link.

Milton Keynes is the most musical wannabe city. That is if you call sirens, screeching tyres and yoots stabbing each other music, infact i think that's more commonly referred to as UK Hippy Hop.

--------------------
Isn't dat vierd?

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The End of the Road Festival in Dorset'. Has there ever been a bleaker sounding event?
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
'The End of the Road Festival in Dorset'. Has there ever been a bleaker sounding event?

What a great way to start your career.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
quote:

I'd go to that.
Black Mask

It seems a bit heavy on the altcountry and quirky yanks.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
I bet it's still better than going to Liverpool.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Louche:
I bet it's still better than going to Liverpool.

Snipping off your own prolapsed colon with a pair of nail scissors is better than going to Liverpool.

--------------------
sweet

Louche
Eating three day old dog vomit is better than going to Liverpool.
Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of those comments are absurd. I've been to Liverpool a few times and it was alright. Not amazing, but I had a few drinks, saw my friend, had some sex and went to a rock club that played a few tunes that were quite good. Some pleasant weekends and altogether unquestionably better than performing lasting damage to your rectum in a painful and pointless moment of self surgery, or risking a serious, possibly fatal gastric infection by eating rotting, regurgitated raw meat. Ridiculous to the point where it robs the comparison of possible comedy, I'd have to say that if you were genuinely considering either of these in place of visiting Liverpool it would cast serious doubt on your sanity.

[ 17.06.2008, 09:08: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Thorn Davis

quote:
if you were genuinely considering either of these

And by that I mean... either of DEE-
Louche
I went to Liverpool last week, actually. Rained.
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it normal for an American person to refer to a black person as an "African American", even if the person in question was born in Africa, lives in Africa and has in fact never left the aforementioned contintent?

[Confused]

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Is it normal for an American person to refer to a black person as an "African American", even if the person in question was born in Africa, lives in Africa and has in fact never left the aforementioned contintent?

[Confused]

Sounds like they're flagging them as a future slave.

--------------------
sweet

MiscellaneousFiles

That might not be entirely relevent to the thread, I'm not sure.
dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Is it normal for an American person to refer to a black person as an "African American", even if the person in question was born in Africa, lives in Africa and has in fact never left the aforementioned continent?

[Confused]

Why aren't white Americans called "European Americans" all the time? Especially as most the "African Americans" have far more generations in America than the massive influx of noob European Americans from the 1900s and that.
MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Sounds like they're flagging them as a future slave.

Perhaps they've found oil there, and are planning a liberation?

One of my colleagues just said that 'we' should nuke Iran because our petrol is too expensive. His next sentence: "We should take out Mecca, too... while we're at it."

Not a bingo fan then.

McDirts
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for McDirts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eh, eh, Liverpool, Liverpool, eh, eh, lah, we invented music we did, and we love a laff, we love a laff and a sing song, and we're victims, we're victims we are, Manchester, with it's Manchester prices and Manchester wages, they get everything they do, no one thinks of Liverpool, lah. Eh, eh, we're so secure that our city is an important and relevant city for the new European age that instead of calling our airport Liverpool Airport, we've called it John Lennon Airport, lah, just in case you didn't know - the Beatles came from Liverpool Lah. Oh, we've done other stuff, ermmm,we were massive during the slave trade. We once held the record for most numbers of murders per capita ehhhm, d'you wanna buy some batteries? Razors? Look out, lah, it's der bizzies!!

Birmingham is a far, far better city than Liverpool will ever be,

Louche
I think it's a good thing OJ has forgotten her password.

Three attempts to make this post. Three fucking attempts.

[ 17.06.2008, 08:34: Message edited by: Louche ]

Louche
Also, I'm a bit scared of posting these days in case one of my rubbishy one line exercises in pointlessness becomes the last post ever on TMO.

That would just be awful. The last post on TMO would have to be something vicious from Masky, or mournful from Benway or just plain aggressive toss speak from Thorn. Not me talking about Liverpool being crap.

dang65
it's all the rage
We went to Liverpool the other week to see the Ark Royal as Number One Son is joining the RN in a couple of weeks and wanted to see where he would be working.

Anyway, it happened to be Lord Mayor's Parade day as well, which we didn't realise before we went, and I counted fifteen different quartets of people dressed as Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and only three quartets dressed as Mop Tops. I glean from that observation that the psychedelic Beatles are held in higher regard amongst their own people than the Beatlemania Beatles. Just a heads up there for Beatles fans who don't want to cause offence during any planned visits to the city. Don't go as a Mop Top, that's all I'm saying.

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine drives the Ark Royal.

And I went to school with someone who's Dad used to be in charge of it, before he became Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps.

So. Ark Royal. Expert by proxy!

Ask away.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My uncle used to be in the navy on the Ark Royal. When I was about 7 or 8, for my birthday I had asked for an Airfix model of something -- you know, a Spitfire or a tank or something, to glue together shitly and paint in shit colours and generally be a bit disappointed by what a shit job I'd done, but at least I'd done it.

Bastard uncle sent me a metre-long Airfix kit of the Ark bloody Royal, with something like three thousand individual fiddly plastic bits. The twat.

My dad and I looked at it aghast (can you look at something aghast when you're 7?), and then laughed, and then we put it away in the back of a cupboard, and it was never seen again.

dang65
it's all the rage
Actually, there is one thing I'm not sure about. He's going in to train as an aircraft engineer on fixed wing fighters. On the TV at the moment they have a documentary about HMS Illustrious, which is another aircraft carrier or course, and that ship doesn't seem to have Harriers on board all the time. They fly out to the ship, do some exercises and muck about a bit, then fly off again.

From what I could make out, they also take their own engineers with them? Does this mean that an RN aircraft engineer wouldn't necessarily be on board an aircraft carrier most the time? (Unless they were an helicopter engineer.)

mart
Uncle lives in Weymouth. Is Weymouth any good? I'm going there in August, as uncle's son is getting married. If it's really good I might go down early and do some coastal walking or something. But I don't know if it's any good or not.

Is Weymouth 'good'?

Carter
Taller than Bandy ?
 - posted      Profile for Carter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Actually, there is one thing I'm not sure about. He's going in to train as an aircraft engineer on fixed wing fighters. On the TV at the moment they have a documentary about HMS Illustrious, which is another aircraft carrier or course, and that ship doesn't seem to have Harriers on board all the time. They fly out to the ship, do some exercises and muck about a bit, then fly off again.

From what I could make out, they also take their own engineers with them? Does this mean that an RN aircraft engineer wouldn't necessarily be on board an aircraft carrier most the time? (Unless they were an helicopter engineer.)

I'm afraid you question covers neither the period 1984-1989, nor the topic of how much fun it is to scare the shit out of weekend sailors from Plymouth, so I can't help you.

If you're serious, I can probably find out though.

mart
He'll mostly be designing Airfix kits, Dang, I think.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+