Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » sony in fucking awful marketing campaign shocker (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: sony in fucking awful marketing campaign shocker
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out this world of hurt!

quote:

i (charlie) have a psp. my friend jeremy does not. but he wants one this year for xmas.

so we started clowning with sum not-so-subtle hints to j's parents that a psp would be teh perfect gift. we created this site to spread the luv to those like j who want a psp!

consider us your own personal psp hype machine, here to help you wage a holiday assault on ur parents, girl, granny, boss – whoever – so they know what you really want.

we'll let you know how it works for us. pls return the favor.

more to come,
c&j.

*vomits*

[ 12.12.2006, 05:35: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is pretty damn lame.

Is it any worse than the dust ball.tv stuff though ?

Looks like Sony only do decent ads for TV's now..

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that scrawny hasn't been on here raving about the new Bravia ad, the one where clouds of multicolored paint explode from the tower block and neighbouring park. It looks quite cool.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there was something in the paper around the time of that ad about essex being subjected to, literally, purple rain. I wonder now if that wasn't part of the campaign too, like a pre-show warm up news item. It's all horrible. It's just a cynicism machine, churning out mistrust and suspicion.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
more good news

quote:

Yesterday, the FTC weighed in on the word-of-mouth style of marketing—aka "peer-to-peer communication" which can range from blogs, forum posts, or the opinion of a compensated stranger on the street—telling those advertising in a "viral" sense that the relationship between advertiser and company must be disclosed

If such a thing was done, it would have pretty wide reaching effects. Yeah, this is in the States, but still, it would be awesome if this kind of thing could be got rid of. It's almost like reverse culture jamming, and it has to stop.

[ 13.12.2006, 05:18: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't approve of this sort of thing and the psp example is particularly crass, but does it actually work, isn't it counter productive?

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
obviously it is if you're publically busted for dong a terrible job it's counter productive, but how many more accomplished londontravellers or Morgan's Spiced Rum people are out there? How much editorial is actually ad copy? Just how much of our culture, our memes, focused events and cultural analysis is just cold corporate sales?

I'm not a tin hat big business h8er any more than any other rational man, but just because somebody did a shit job and got found out doesn't mean that all viral marketing is so transparent.

[ 13.12.2006, 05:38: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Dedalus
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Dedalus           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you need to relax a bit, Jimmy.

Whenever I feel like that I pour myself a nice glass of Famous Grouse. Either neat or on the rocks, it always lifts my mood with its smooth sophisticated flavour and the evocative fragrance of the highland glens.

In fact, why don't you join me in one now?

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Mmmmm, Famous Grouse.
Dedalus
TMO Member
I'm taking a hipflask to work tomorrow. That's all there is to it.
London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I find myself much more relaxed now Zyban has freed me from the stress of smoking.
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Famous Grouse... Justerini & Brooks is the only whisky that requires attention if you're seeking smooth sophistication. It is sublime, and I'll be buying another bottle this afternoon. Of course it has to be enjoyed neat and on the rocks, otherwise you ought to be butchered to death.

-

not...
You reached over with your hand and knocked my Jap over
 - posted      Profile for not...           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Johnny Walker Blue label? Is that like the bollocks or just overpriced crap?
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
SHUT UP this is NOT the place to have a discussion about mass produced Whisky. This is where we get radical on marketing techniques and use our web smarts to turn the table on the bastards who are polluting our culture.

-

Dedalus
TMO Member
quote:
Originally posted by Zygote:
Famous Grouse... Justerini & Brooks is the only whisky that requires attention if you're seeking smooth sophistication. It is sublime, and I'll be buying another bottle this afternoon. Of course it has to be enjoyed neat and on the rocks, otherwise you ought to be butchered to death.

-

Fucking hell, Zygote, can't you recognise a JOAK when you see one?
Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dedalus:
Fucking hell, Zygote, can't you recognise a JOAK when you see one?

Yes - it was a fantastic joke. However it struck an emotional chord within me and I felt compelled to celebrate my long-standing love affair with J&B Rare. We've been through some difficult times together, me and J&B.
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of torn on this one - as virals bore me but also, especially with traditional teve ads disappearing, they actually are an okay source of work for me. The crap, fake blog thing above was crap though. Shouldn't it be more about making better, more creative ones (although for the most part they are production company's versions of pop promo's for up and coming artists - ie, get the runner to do direct it and save some money).

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
My problem isn't about them being good or not, more about the belief that it's okay to trick people into being marketed towards. To pretend to be somebody or something else and then hit you with an advert. It's not slotting adverts around the culture, put placing them in the centre of it, turning things inside out, so whereas before there would be content -> ad -> response, it's now fake content + genuine response = ad, thereby making you, as consumer of the fake content, a pro-active part of an advertising system that's based on deception. By fake, I mean that it isn't authentic within it's context.

Obviously this has been courted with all forms of advertising, word of mouth etc, but with these faux-response virals, they're not respecting the audience, and they're manipulating people into forming communities around the product by lying, not about the product, but the extent to which they have penetrated the core draw of the net for the intended audience - user created content.

bah.

[ 13.12.2006, 10:19: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
I belive the word is 'insidious'
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Time for snack. A lovely Coke Zero - all the taste, with none of the sugar, and without all of your girly dieting nonsense, lol.
Bandy
Watchoo talkin' 'bout

- posted      Profile for Bandy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can something be neat and on the rocks? Either way, J&B? Jesus.

--------------------
Shameless Promotion: huddle - online project and document collaboration

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by not...:
What about Johnny Walker Blue label? Is that like the bollocks or just overpriced crap?

It's not a bad drink but when it comes down to it, Johnny Walker Blue is just an incredibly overpriced blended whisky.
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jonesy999:
It's not a bad drink but when it comes down to it, Johnny Walker Blue is just an incredibly overpriced blended whisky.

What's the good stuff according to jonesy?

--------------------
supa scrub

not...
hmn, thatnks for that Jonesy. I need to send my client something for christmas that will hopeful encourage him to give me more work next year. It kind of needs to be good and "top of the range" although fit into a £150 budget. He hates ipods and gadgetry so I thought a bit of the old blue label would be good. Time for a rethink.

Sorry Benway for messing up your thread.

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
you all suck.
Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
quote:
hmn, thatnks for that Jonesy. I need to send my client something for christmas that will hopeful encourage him to give me more work next year. It kind of needs to be good and "top of the range" although fit into a £150 budget. He hates ipods and gadgetry so I thought a bit of the old blue label would be good. Time for a rethink.

Sorry Benway for messing up your thread.

Get him a Jaguar branded holdall and driving gloves. Only cost about a tenner in the marks and spencers "for him" display, along with fake trophies, pocket chess, and 128Mb mp3 players.
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lagavulin.
Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing wrong with good blended whisky whatever Jones or Louvhe may say.

It just depends on which one you go for.

Lagavulin is lovely, but it's going to depend on whether he likes really strong flavoured peaty Islay malts innit.

[ 14.12.2006, 05:23: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Louche
Laphroaig
Louche
Whisky based tourettes. Don't we do the whisky/ whiskey/ blended/ single malts thing every year near Christmas? Is TMO really that predictable these days?
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Not, this or this would be the nuts. You'll struggle to get a hold of either before Christmas, though. Safe bet (and around half the price) would be a bottle of this, which is gorgeous and you should be able to pick up without too much trouble.

If you're in London at any point, Milroy's on Greek Street has the 30-year-old Glenfarclas in stock and the 21 year old Glenfiddich Gran Reserva (formerly called Havanna Reserve but changed because Americans couldn't import it legally!). Doesn't look like they've got the 30-year-old Glenfidlydick in stock, though - but they'd be able to get it.

quote:

Sorry Benway for messing up your thread

Yes, sorry Benway.

[ 14.12.2006, 05:30: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I like about Boy Racer is his air of sophistication mixed with a hardy, almost coal miner like northern toughness. The type of guy who would buy the most expensive toilet roll on the market, then refuse to use any more than one sheet per shit.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
thanks for that jones. I might get my dad yet another bottle of aged single malt.

What to get mum though? Always a dilemma.

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get her a BMX.

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

not...
Thanks jonesy [Cool]

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+