email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » Freking Mac airport b'stard

Author Topic: Freking Mac airport b'stard
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've an old Powerbook G4, running Tiger - have the most up-to-date download of airport utility - got an airport extreme base station, so I plug it in, get the amber light flashing, go through the utility programme to set it up, it all goes well, until it says that it's going through the final process, and then it vanishes, my mac can't see it, and can't reconnect to it, and wireless doesn't happen.

Anyone?

PS - please save the mac v pc debate for somewhere else - I've had this lap-top for nearly 5 years, and I like it and can't afford to buy anything new at all, m'kay!

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats airport?

--------------------
supa scrub

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a big building where planes land, but that isn't important now.
squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then what is important??

--------------------
supa scrub

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think an Airport in this context is what you might know as a WiFi modem/router.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could probably tell us a little more Benny. Is the airport new for a start. Did it ever work on the G4 or is setting up for the first time? Where is the amber light flashing? In the network preferences? In the utility, on the hardware? Have you got a screen shot(s) of the last processs and/or config?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
airport is new, fresh out a da box! setting it up for the first time,

Amber light on the airport itself flashes to show that it is there and ready to set up - then it shows itself on the utility, goes through the process, light on the airport goes green, then it vanishes and the light goes amber.

will do a screen grab next time I try it - going to return it to apple and get a new one though.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
will do a screen grab next time I try it - going to return it to apple and get a new one though.

Yeah, do so of the pages in the utility. No point sending it back if it isn't working because the replacement would do the same thing, wouldn't it, Mr The Ball.

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

Also, you don't mention whether the problem is isolated to the wireless port or not. Are you using is as your router/print server/wireless storage device? If you connect an external hard drive or printer to the Airport and connect the airport to the macbook, do the volumes mount or printers become available?

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benny, I spent an entire day trying to get airport to work, about a year ago. It's fucking shit. I threw the fucker across the room in disgust in the end.

--------------------
sweet

New Way Of Decay

It's about three times the cost of other competitive routers. While we're waiting to see how annoyed he got with it, let's kick Benny while his airport service is down.

-

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
But...but...it's white, and clean, and so easy to use!

F@&king thing is a piece of turd, isn't it?

Should have got a lynksys
[Mad]

--------------------

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
I took it back, and even though it was past their 14 day return period, they still took it...

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+