Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Web » how do i connect my laptop to my tv? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Author Topic: how do i connect my laptop to my tv?
vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heya

I have an Acer 5738Z laptop, running Vista. It has VGA and HDMI outputs, but no S-Video.

I have a Samsung WS32Z308P tv. It has two Scart inputs on the back, and S-Video, Component and Audio (RCA) inputs on the front. No VGA or HDMI sockets.

I want to watch movies on my TV, so need both the picture and the audio to be transmitted to my television.

Bought a VGA-to-Scart cable but can't get picture or sound. The laptop appears to recognise the cable bu the TV just shows a blue screen and says no signal.

What can I do that's inexpensive? Get a VGA-to-S-Video cable or something else?

Thanks

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vikram:
Bought a VGA-to-Scart cable but can't get picture or sound. The laptop appears to recognise the cable bu the TV just shows a blue screen and says no signal.

That's a SCART to VGA cable, for if you wanted to - say - plug a SCART DVD played into the VGA soccket of a projector. That's why your laptop recognises it, but your TV says no signal. The signal is going into the laptop, not out of it, if you see what I mean.

I can't see anything on the Maplin site that does the opposite of this cable. I wonder whether there's something about the properties of a VGA output that means it can't be converted to a signal that SCART or S-Video understands.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want VGA to SCART it looks like you pretty much have to assemble a cable yourself. VGA to S-Video, however looks like it would just need one of these. Although reading through those customer reviews it seems like you may still have some problems if the laptop's graphics chip can't output a signal the TV understands.

[ 30.11.2009, 04:44: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The image quality will be fucking terrible if you go down that route. Probably bend the image at the edges of the screen and lose some screen area.
Thorn Davis

But how else could you do it?
Ringo

I'm not sure there's an alternative beyond buying a new laptop and/or TV. Something like this stands a better chance of working properly as most of the reviews of the cables say they won't work.

Another alternative is to buy some kind of networked media player which can be attached directly to the TV using RGB over SCART. Since it's (presumably) a low definition TV anyway, it's never going to look great.

Thorn Davis

Hi-def according to the link. I was kind of assuming that new laptop/ new TV didn't qualify as an inexpensive solution. But then it's Vikram, so who knows?

[ 30.11.2009, 05:35: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Ringo

Hmm I assumed that it must be low def because of the lack of hdmi or dvi inputs. It must have an HD scart socket on the back which should have come with a component scart cable. Weirdly it doesn't list 720p as a video format on there. What an odd TV. Anyway, I reckon the best solution is a plugin media player which supports component connections, and just mug the laptop off entirely. You can get decent ones for well under £100 which I think qualifies as a relatively cheap solution.

There are all kinds of weird video formats flying around, particularly with stuff like VGA. Just because it's a VGA port doesn't mean it can necessarily be converted directly to an S video signal. In fact I'd say it probably can't. Most likely to do with refresh rates, differences in analogue and digital signals, and any number of other potential issues.

Better to get a dedicated player which you know will work with the screen. At least, should work with the screen. Though it's such a dodgy setup, who knows what it supports and what it doesn't. I'm guessing it's a really really early HDTV.

[ 30.11.2009, 05:54: Message edited by: Ringo ]

Ringo

This may be a good solution, though sadly lacking a component connection. The composite connectors could be converted to Scart or just used directly with the composite input on the screen. it won't be high definition but would be better than anything you'd get off the laptop anyway.
Thorn Davis

Off topic, for Vikram's needs, but I don't understand this...

quote:

- An audio receiver is required for surround sound output.
- AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only.

So... even if you had an 5.1 channel amp it'd only be receiving a 2 channel ouput. So 'surround sound' would only ever be Pro Logic pretend surround sound like from the Eighties?
Ringo

If you were set on connecting the laptop to the TV then this may work, using one of the component inputs and the laptop's HDMI output.
Thorn Davis

I think that goes the wrong way, too.
Ringo

Ah pissflaps, yeah you're right.

I still vote for a plugin media box.

Edit - the problem you have is that the laptop (I think) only has digital outputs, while the screen only has analogue inputs.

However, that said, it may be as simple as he plugged in the right cable but never turned on the VGA output by using the Fn key.

[ 30.11.2009, 06:27: Message edited by: Ringo ]

Keef
That, was liquid chate
 - posted      Profile for Keef           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Edit - the problem you have is that the laptop (I think) only has digital outputs, while the screen only has analogue inputs.

This is the problem alright. I've been trying to work out how I might connect my PS3 to a projector's VGA socket but have run into the same problem.

Apparently it may be possible to go from HDMI -> DVI -> VGA but even though it's suggested, no one on the internet seems to have tried it.

I agree with Ringo, go for a little media box under the TV, Hauppage do some good 'uns.

Ringo

Only DVI-I can be converted like that. A DVI connector which is converted, via a cable, from HDMI will be DVI-D which is digital only, and lacks the pins (and signal, critically) required for converting to VGA. It can't be done passively just with cable adapters; it'd need to be done with a physical converter. That said, does your projector only have a VGA input and nothing like a composite connector?
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guys above are right, in you'll need to build yourself a cable and it isn't exactly an easy fix at that. The reason being is that after the DTV Transition was into place, from a technical standpoint, analogue televisions are no longer considered to be supported technology....

What's the S-Video plug exactly? I think it needs to be this. They vary and do you have speakers built into the TV?

If you do, you should be able to plug one of these for video and one of these for audio in one of these. Technically.

[ 30.11.2009, 09:24: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

vikram

- posted      Profile for vikram           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

Yeah it seems that my laptop has digital outputs whilst my tv has analogue inputs. Bollocks - I only bought my computer last week and would have picked up something with a S-Video socket if I'd known.

I really don't wanna spend more than twenty quid to be honest.

I have an old laptop somewhere which has an S-Video output so I guess I'll use that til I eventually buy a new tv (mine is over 4 years old now).

Thanks for your help. Really annoyed this thing doesn't have a S-Video plug!

Keef
That, was liquid chate
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
Only DVI-I can be converted like that. A DVI connector which is converted, via a cable, from HDMI will be DVI-D which is digital only, and lacks the pins (and signal, critically) required for converting to VGA. It can't be done passively just with cable adapters; it'd need to be done with a physical converter. That said, does your projector only have a VGA input and nothing like a composite connector?

I nearly bought some convertors until I found the same product elsewhere and it specifically said "This will only work with DV-I" so that stopped me thankfully.

The projector probably does have composite but it's a convienience thing - it's ceiling mounted in a pub's function room and there's already a VGA connector plumbed into the wall. I'm thinking although that one is all already set up, I can borrow a HD projector from work which would be nicer all round.

Keef
That, was liquid chate
Just seen this on the Register. A little pricey (around £100) but looks like it'll do the trick for you Vikram.
Thorn Davis

No it won't - its outputs are VGA and HDMI. Those are the inputs his TV hasn't got.
Ringo

It's also like twice the price of the media player I linked to
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but apart from being really expensive and not doing what he needs it's pretty good.
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SORRY EVERYONE I'M UP TO SPEED AGAIN NOW SORRY.

[ 02.12.2009, 09:19: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------

Thorn Davis

Vikram, this might do the trick. It's a bit cheaper than what Keef linked to, but just as useful.
New Way Of Decay

I've linked Vikram to the solution for under 20 pounds I think, but I just think it got ignored so keef's suggestion might be as good as anything for what it's worth.

--------------------

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've learnt an important life lesson today Mikee and that is "Never help anyone"
Kanye West
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Kanye West           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was saying the exact same thing to him the other night.
New Way Of Decay

This is true. You've just got to stop helping people, I've learned.

--------------------

froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Way Of Decay:
This is true. You've just got to stop helping people, I've learned.

This is true. I only wish I'd had the reminder yesterday...

Why, you ask? Well...

So last night, at about 11:30, our doorbell rings. I go to the door, turn on the light and look out to see a woman in her mid 30s standing there accompanied by a teenage boy. She tells me she's having "an emergency" and asks if she can use my phone because hers, she says, doesn't work. Fine, I say, and hand her the phone out the door. She proceeds to have a 10 minute call with someone, apparently an ex-husband, saying that he absolutely has to get there and pick up her son right then. Now, I don't know how this qualifies as an emergency that justifies bothering the neighbors at 11:30 at night, but I was trying to be generous. After all, maybe something was going on with a roommate or something that wasn't obvious. She finally concludes the call, and hands the phone back. I close the door, thinking it was a pointless exercise but at least I had tried to help.

A few minutes later, the doorbell rings again, same duo, asking to use the phone again. At this stage I start letting myself act annoyed and ask whether there's really an emergency, and if so what kind of emergency. But nevermind, I give her the phone with the advice to "make it quick." She makes another call to the ex lasting a few minutes and hands the phone back before sulking away down the front walk.

Just past midnight, my doorbell rings a third time. This time, I don't give her the phone. I open the door, phone in hand, while dialing the police, telling her that she obviously has a problem of some kind that I'm not equipped to solve, and that the friendly officers who will be arriving shortly will be happy to help her (her response: "oh, they won't help me, they'll just talk to me again." - guess which word sent off any remaining looney warning alarms which hadn't already been triggered), and she wandered back across the street to the house where she apparently had been renting a room.

Eventually, the friendly sheriffs arrived and walked over to have a few words with her. I didn't hear anything more except for a phone call a few minutes later from the sheriff dispatcher, who told me someone else about two streets away had also been visited by the duo. They apparently did what I should have done, which was to not open the door and to call the police straight off.

So, yes; stop helping people. It's better for you.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone's mad over there though, mate. Crazy West-Coasters. Too much acid back in the hippy days.

Good story though.

[ 02.12.2009, 11:05: Message edited by: mart ]

Thorn Davis

So... what are you saying? You shouldn't help people in case they're mentally ill?
New Way Of Decay

Hang on, that's a story where you didn't help anyone at all.

--------------------

Thorn Davis

In the same situation I would either have a) not bothered to get out of bed to answer the door or b) answered the door in my usual nightwear of t-shirt and no pants, which would probably have solved the problem immediately.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He let her use his phone. That's help, isn't it? Sort of.
froopyscot
nibbled to death by an okapi
 - posted      Profile for froopyscot           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made an attempt, at least, to find out what the issue was and to let her use my phone, which apparently meant I was now their friend for life (despite having never even seen these people before). Oh, and I forgot to say, when she came back the third time, it was to ask me whether I would drive her across town.

--------------------
Give 'em .0139 fathoms and they'll take 80 chains.

This topic is comprised of pages: 2 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+