Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Film 2005 (Page 15)

This topic is comprised of pages: 16 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16 

Author Topic: Film 2005
Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[cough] plus 1 [/cough]

--------------------
uberwench

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganesh:
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:
[QUOTE]Maybe you're right though. Maybe Hollywood is acknowleding the simple truth that few men in their right minds would voluntarily let another man jam a cock up their anus.

Speaking as a right-minded man (and I've got the certificates to prove it) who lets another man do just that and enjoys it (hey, it's what your prostate's for!), I think it's more that Hollywood is squeamish about anal sex, as it's squeamish about non-airbrushed sex generally.

I suppose that, since it's only been a few decades since homosexuality was a) decriminalised, and b) depathologised, it's not terribly surprising that celluloid depictions of same-sex unions (and particularly brrrrrown lurrrve) remains tentative, implied rather than overt. In the '70s, gay people tended to be asexual campsters played for laughs or leathered-up serial killers, and in the '80s, chaste, AIDS-wracked victims. There are decent films with gay characters that manage to avoid these stereotypes, but they tend to be European (Albaladejo's wonderful Bear Cub had to excise the cocks-and-arse shots for US consumption).

Ultimately, I think the spectre of anal penetration simultaneously fascinates and horrifies, so while Hollywood films are replete with enough arse-related imagery and dialogue to have Freud spinning, anything overt remains taboo.

Doesn't mean nobody sane does it, though. Try it, Thorn; you might like it. [Smile]

I don't have a problem with gays just so long as they don't try and ram it down my throat.
Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mailed him and asked for a Miss Payne plus 1 (like I would leave you out!). I have bigged up your loveliness as well Uber as this will add to your chances. I can't promise anything, so as backup am trying to get hold of his PA, who it just so happens is the girlfriend of one Hot Steve, both of whom are chums and maybe able to help in event of no joy from the man himself.

Lets just hope one of them is near a computer - I'll let you know if I hear something. Fingers crossed!

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
 - posted      Profile for Uber Trick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Waynster!

--------------------
uberwench

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I have to go out now but will be checking my mail later. As I said I can't guarantee that they will be online today, but if I hear back I will let you know. Mail me at waynster at gmail with a contact number in case I hear later.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Nina
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Nina           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've had experiences that I reckon must be similar (doing a a really big, dry shit when you haven't had much fibre in your diet)
Ahhh, you lubricate before you shit then?
Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
 - posted      Profile for Ganesh           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ben:
I don't have a problem with gays just so long as they don't try and ram it down my throat.

Boom-tish.
Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benway, or anyone else for that matter. Have you heard much about Masters of Horror?

Looks like it'll be a pretty good series from the directors involved, but I can't seem to find much more about it.

[ 03.07.2005, 04:33: Message edited by: SilverGinger5 ]

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks a bit cryptic, doesn't it? I haven't heard anything about it, and Miike has a long way to go to make up for the excreable Uzo.

Still, good times for horror, but that's no surprise considering the kind of things that are going on around us at the moment. Land of The Dead sounds good, although I'm suprised by the length (88 mins). I never thought he'd actually do another one, so I'm excited about that.

The Descent premieres in a couple of days, and although it's not Horror Film Of The Decade, it looks like it could make some money at the cinema - it depends on how much blood people can cope with in a fantasy setting. Silent Hill is coming along, and I remain optimistic, even though I shouldn't be.

[ 04.07.2005, 09:44: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AGG. Why did I watch Four Weedlings and a Funeral last night? Much as I enjoy upper-class hi-jinks, and fat gays doing scottish reels, quimming Andi McDowell always makes me so furious. Quite apart from her sole 'acting ability' being that insipid smile, with her head on one side to show how sweetly innocent she is, her character in this film is an evil bitch from hell who if there were any justice in the world would end up buried up to her neck in her own bodily excretions, rather than being a heroine.

The evidence: she knows he likes her, and would be right sad that she's engaged, but still boffs him. Being a slag in the process. And buggers off in the morning. She rubs his face in it by making him choose her wedding dress, and listen to her tale of shagging history, making him late for his deaf brother, then invites him to her wedding. THEN, just to make sure he'll never be happy with anything but her brand of vapidity, turns up at his wedding to spoil it all. AND he chooses her rather than Kristen Scott T! Madness.

Sorry.

Uber Trick
DANGER!
unexploded sex bomb
lol I felt exactly the same way herbs! I think I was still ranting about the film while lying in bed 20 minutes later. Why is it a love story? It's really just about them following their own selfish desires. They don't give a fuck who they hurt, and the ones that they do hurt we are meant to ridicule for the simple fact that they loved them. Poor "duck face", poor James. Terrible pile of excrement of a film.

--------------------
uberwench

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris Cunningham has a film out called 'Rubber Johnny', and it seems like he's surprised us all by filling it full of disturbing imagery and sound. I would love to tell you all how it measures up, but the post office have 'lost' it.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benway must have some fantastic conversations down the Post Office.

--------------------
sweet

Cherry In Hove
Channel 39
 - posted      Profile for Cherry In Hove           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brett Ratner is spicing up the new X-Men 3 movie with the addition of his very own fantasy - a sex siren mutant who seduces her opponents rather than battles them.
mart
Wearing nothing but a smile
 - posted      Profile for mart           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else just watch Powell and Pressburger's cracking 1940 thriller Contraband on BBC2?

Conrad Veidt and Valerie Hobson run round blacked out London, get tied up together by German secret agents, engage in a powerfully erotic bit of rope-play (Hobson slips out of her high heels, revealing RHT nylons, struggles free of rope, then Veidt ties her up again -"I'm going to hurt you" - "Yes, yes, do it"), then Veidt runs off to a Danish restaurant to recruit some heavies to defeat the Germans with, they go nightclubbing, they have a fight, he knocks out the baddie with a bust of Chamberlain (which to Vedit's surprise doesn't smash - "They said he was tough"), and he gets the girl.

"Big ships, small adventures; small ships, big adventures."

Great stuff.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Benway:
The Descent premieres in a couple of days, and although it's not Horror Film Of The Decade, it looks like it could make some money at the cinema - it depends on how much blood people can cope with in a fantasy setting.

I went to see The Descent yesterday - I thought it was terrific. Relentlessly nailbiting, with some absolutely cracking scares. I guess it doesn't really stay with you that much after the film's over but it's one of the best straight down the line shockers I've seen in quite some time. Certainly seems to be head and shoulders above the current glut of scary movies and features some excellent mis-use of caving equipment.

One of the things I thought was remarkable about it was the sustained tension. From the point they enter the cave, about twenty minutes into the film through to the final frames the feeling of dread never lets up; even heavy duty white-knuckle fests like Aliens or Jaws or Dawn of the Dead 2004 had breaks for you to catch your breath. This is just like a streamlined fright-machine. It rates 8 guns on my cool-o-meter.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I went to see The Descent yesterday - I thought it was terrific.

I don't think I'll be able to watch this. It sounds like my worst ever claustrophobia nightmare brought to life on screen, and that's without introducing any horror movie elements at all. I listened to an interview with the director (him off of Dog Soldiers) on the radio and the interviewer said, "Obviously, I don't want to give away too much, but there's something else down there with them?" and the guy goes, "Yeah, that's right..." and then explains exactly what's down there with them, as if he was just having a chat in the pub with someone who'd seen the film. I think the BBC should have edited that bit, although from my point of view it's basically irrelevent as I'll never get anywhere near that bit of the film anyway.

[ 11.07.2005, 04:32: Message edited by: dang65 ]

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it's not much fun if you can't stomach people wriggling through tunnels in pitch darkness with only millimetres of space around them, and then slipping into a breathtakingly convincing panic, murmuring "'m stuck - can't move".

In fact it's kind of weird, the different effects the different scares have. The first half is suffocating tension, the second half more jaw dropping screaming horror. It's good stuff.

Thorn Davis

Elsewhere, I notice Fantastic Four is getting pretty dreadful reviews. I can't believe no-one's used the pun 'fantastically flawed', yet. Instead the critics seem to be cleverly suggesting the film should have been called "The So-so Four" etc etc. Weak.

Anyway. Yeah. People should definitely go and see The Descent.

Boy Racer
This man has no twinkie !
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw The Descent yesterday evening and thoroughly enjoyed it, when I wasn't feeling utterly uncomfortably claustrophobic. I can't remember a horror film that has managed that many proper jump scares.

Have you seen WotW yet Thorn? I thought that was pretty damn good in a viscerally scary sci-fi way, and ignoring the more hideously inevitable implausiblities of the plot.

[ 11.07.2005, 06:24: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------
Some people stand in the darkness, afraid to step into the light...

Ganesh
They all drink lemonade.
The end.
 - posted      Profile for Ganesh           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Ooh! You've decided me; I'm off to see The Descent this evening...
Thorn Davis

quote:
Originally posted by Boy Racer:
I saw The Descent yesterday evening and thoroughly enjoyed it, when I wasn't feeling utterly uncomfortably claustrophobic. I can't remember a horror film that has managed that many proper jump scares.

Have you seen WotW yet Thorn? I thought that was pretty damn good in a viscerally scary sci-fi way, and ignoring the more hideously inevitable implausiblities of the plot.

I was planning to see this during the week, Orange Wednesday, probably, although I can't imagine it'll look that good compared to The Descent, which everyone should go and see. Am I being clear on this point? WotW does give the impression that it might be fun, though.
Boy Racer
 - posted      Profile for Boy Racer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was planning to see this during the week, Orange Wednesday, probably, although I can't imagine it'll look that good compared to The Descent, which everyone should go and see. Am I being clear on this point? WotW does give the impression that it might be fun, though.

I suspect you have done them the wrong way round yes Thorn, but WotW is certainly fun. Spielberg gives great sci-fi monster and I'd even suggest that your ex-girlfriend's favourite big-nose is reasonably unrubbish in it.

--------------------

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Review:War of the Worlds
tripods:aces
cruise:scrotten
verdict:potential=unfulfilled

Thorn Davis

I thought War Of The Worlds was pretty good; there were some great moments in there, most notably the scene with the car and the crowd, and some terrific images of the tripods stalking across cityscapes and countryside. The aliens themselves seemed a bit naff, a bit generic, but on the whole I enjoyed myself. Nowhere near as good as The Descent or Batman Begins, though.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, WOTW was a lot less guff than I thought it'd be.

Crooze: good
Tripods: menacing
Fire & Destruction: cataclysmically good fun
Aliens: meh
Blonde chile with bulging scared eyes: shut up, we know you are scared

Not bad, Mr Spielburg, but I'd still like to see a direct translation from the book in olden times, with a genteel English village response to alien invasion.

ETA: aren't trailers shite at the moment? Apart from for Stealth, which looks hilarious, and King Kong which has dinosaurs fighting giant apes.

[ 14.07.2005, 06:31: Message edited by: Vogon Poetess ]

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Dr. Benway

Rubber Johnny isn't worth jack - any of Cunningham's music videos are better. But watch out for THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, which is the best most horrid film I've seen this year. It's My Kind Of Movie. I'm surprised that it got a general release as the torture scenes are pretty niche. It's the best damn dutty south tear em up since the Massacre. makes House of 1k Corpses look like the recent big screen outing of The Magic Roundabout.

Great news about The Descent doing so well! A bit of tightening here and there - mostly in the editing and the attention to detail - and his next film is going to blow us away, I reckon. Just as long as it is a bit different to his previous two.

Haven't seen anything else. After reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, I'm just about given up on studio films now. I certainly won't be going to see another Spielburg. Not that I ever went to the cinema to see one anyway.

The week I am mostly playing KOTOR II, or at least, I will once my fucking power is turned back on.

-

[ 27.07.2005, 05:39: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

I was displeased but not shocked to see that Kim Newman described The Devil's Rejects as being unbearable. In the same magazine, a Mickey Mouse reviewer gave Shallow Ground a tentative thumbs up, when I was convinced that it was an appalling mess, with about 5 minutes of interesting footage and a pathetic 'plot'.

I continue to believe that really, I know nothing about films, and my opinions are the dogshit on the path towards cinematic enlightenment. Tread carefully; ignore me.

[ 27.07.2005, 09:31: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rob zombie interview about yon film
Thorn Davis

Empire's been losing its way for what seems like a decade or more. It doesn't really have any editorial direction: unable to decide whether it's about no-nonsense criticism, fan-boy raving, cinematic analysis or chummy mate-in-the-pub-style recommendations. Consequently it just flounders around achieving none of those things. Grimly, it also seems to think Aint It Cool News is an exciting and important websites, and repeatedly attributes Hollywood trends and decisions to Harry Knowles and his crew, and - sadly - appears to get most of its news stories from that site, too. It's lazy and pointless for the most part.

There's also that ghastly striving for intellectualism but finding it just out of reach thing that people who want to be intelligent but aren't quite, do. (Mark Kermode does this). For example, I remember reading a feature they did about match cuts, and talked about the beginning of '2001', where the ape throws the bone in the air, and it's matched to the shot of the spaceship. According to to Empire this "Makes all sorts of comments about the the evolution of man and technology". Ok - care to name one? The magazine does this an awful lot, which makes all sorts of comments about the sort of targets it's shooting for, but missing.

The mag's also scared of going against the popular opinion of films. It describes Gone With The Wind as 'monumental enough to be above criticism'. Well, not really. It doesn't take much pluck to honestly assess the qualities of a classic movie. It's this sort of attitude that leads to people just assuming that classics can never be re-assessed, and that's the magazine shirking its role as an observer of the world of film.

Similarly, it won't speak out against blockbusters until they've been widely maligned. They gave Batman and Robin 3 out of 5 when it was first released, and then set about ridiculing it when they realised everyone else was, too. Same with the Star Wars prequels. It's gutless and lousy publication.

Having said that, it has succeeded in building a very recognisable brand, which I suppose is why it still sells despite the shoddy editorial.

[ 27.07.2005, 09:49: Message edited by: Thorn Davis ]

Dr. Benway

sad thing is, that really people don't want to be challenged, or made to feel anything other than satiated - satisfied. A film that you come out of feeling a hole is like an anti-meal to the XXL burger you get with a blockbuster. The best a film is expected do is meet your requirements. The films that stick with me more are the ones that made me uncomfortable, and even if I'm miserable after, they're the ones that I want to go back to. Not because I enjoy being miserable, but because they've asked me a question that I don't yet have the answer to.

A good example is that PSH one called Love Liza. Really oppressive film that drags you through some horrible shit, but has these moments that seem to mean so much... and they're just shots or lines.

I liked American Splendour because of that, and that's kind of similar to Love Liza with the 'study of a man in shit' vibe. I also have a friend who looks like the dude who played Harvey Pekar, and I once spent an evening entertaining us both by aping his gravelly voice. Oh, it was hilarious.

I haven't picked up Empire for ages. I bought Sigh and Sound today, and the reviews are so dull, so full of cross referencing and historical information that the passion for cinema, for the love of story and character and those bits that make you feel strange in your chest, seems to be totally lost in the words. I get the impression that they could write with more spark, but they've decided to keep it all very serious.

[ 27.07.2005, 09:58: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

thorn, look out for a new publication - 'Killing Time' - London's premier independent genre magazine.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

Part of the problem for modern publications staffed by young uns is that we missed the sixties and seventies. Many of the so called counter culture films are now simply classics, part of history, rack em up on your shelf and get a travis bickle haircut. Cinema isn't exciting, so the mags have got nothing to write about. Nobody is throwing the rulebook out the window, nobody is saying fuck you to the dudes who've been making this summer's must see for the last twenty years. What is there to write about? Blah blah blah render farm cutting edge blah blah stylised blah kinetic blah blah box office smash.

Movie communities are maybe like music communities now - splintered into genre and specialised information channels. What we get in the cinemas is the top 40. You can only interview the same old bastards or fit young airheads over and over again, and if you aren't going to challenge them, then nothing's going to change. Films are more PR than they are films. Fuck em. I hate films.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Dr. Benway

next week: the obvious, and new developments in stating technology.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Boy Racer
So was the Kim Newman review of Rejects in S&S Benway?

I'm not certain I agree that there aren't still great and exciting films being made, but perhaps I just have more serotonin than you Benway.
My favourites of last year - Oldboy and The Incredibles - are both vastly different in terms of source, intended audience, and content, but are still both rigourously intelligent and virtuouso entertainments. For me there are still sufficient talented artists working both in and out of mainstream cinema to keep me consistently excited about film.
It's all very well lamenting the past, what about looking to the future.

And while we're on that subject, and having no desire to blow smoke up your arses, but I have less than no idea why - if indeed you aren't - Thorn and Benway aren't writing reviews of movies, not the say screenplays for them, in some more professional capacity than on here.

[ 29.07.2005, 04:17: Message edited by: Boy Racer ]

--------------------

This topic is comprised of pages: 16 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+