Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » Space Cadets (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Space Cadets
Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4505956.stm

quote:
The group, aged between 19 and 28, include a student, a call centre worker and an electrician. Contestants have been picked for their suggestibility.

Suggestibility ?? Stupidity morelike.

Why would anyone allow a student, a call centre worker and an electrician to 'go into space' for free when there are rich Americans waving wads of cash at the Russians to take them up there ?

Is this show the lowest low point that reality TV can reach ? A bunch of obvious fucking idiots for being stupid enough to think that it might be 'for real' in the first place being faked into thinking that they're either in Russia or Space for a bit of a laugh at the expene of the public.

We'll have to endure months of these morons trotting up on tripe shows like Richard and Judy saying either "Yer, I fought it were real" or "Nar, 'corse we knew it were a wind up" for the entire Zmas period.

Can reality TV become more pointless ?

[ 07.12.2005, 06:36: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a sketch very similar to this on 'the pilot show', where contestants were being interviewed for a chance to go on a space mission with Paul Ince and Stelios from EasyJet, and most seem to fall for it, regardless of how absurd the tests were. The concept of Space Cadets is pretty horrid, but I'll probably be watching and cringing. I hope that they suss it really quickly.

[ 07.12.2005, 06:55: Message edited by: Dr. Benway ]

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
 - posted      Profile for Darryn.R           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They must have been at this 'Space Camp' for a while now though Benway as the show only runs for 10 days.

If they're only there 10 days and that includes all the training needed to take a trip into space and the trip itself then I expect it to get sussed in the first five minutes and the nation to be watching double episodes of Friends by Thursday.

--------------------

my own brother a god dam shit sucking vampire!!! you wait till mum finds out buddy!

Dr. Benway

- posted      Profile for Dr. Benway           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, but I can't stand the thought that they might actually think that they're in space when they're really in a prop shuttle just outside of London. That's a really sad image.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
Imagine the comedown if they do fall for it, these poor simple minded souls feeling fantastic as the first real, genuine members of the public EVER to go into space who will suddenly get the carpet pulled out from under them on the 17th with a cries of "Psyche, wind up, fished in" from the ever so punchable muppetesque face of Johnny Vaughan.

It'll ruin Christmas for them.

[ 07.12.2005, 07:16: Message edited by: Darryn.R ]

--------------------

New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imagine the psychological mind-fuck: You think you are miles out of the earths atmosphere and then suddenly, you are told you are actually in Sussex. Your spatial awareness would just well.....fucking break. I'm not sure I think it's such a good idea. I could be wrong. It might be hilarious, but it actually just seems really cruel.

ETA: great minds.

[ 07.12.2005, 07:08: Message edited by: New Way Of Decay ]

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five
21:30 - Captive
All new episode of the groundbreaking reality TV show in which five members of the public were picked off the street and held captive by Iraqi insurgents. Little do they know that their masked captors are actually professional actors and the prison is really a warehouse near Maidenhead.

This week: Camp pacifist Lucian finally succumbs to torture and confesses to the rape and murder of a fictional Iraqi villager, Bubbly blonde Bekki faces solitary confinement after last week's breakdown and there's a surprise in store for OAP Victor - fake news of his wife's death!

Abby
Slave Girl of Gor
 - posted      Profile for Abby           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother plays a Russian soldier at the training camp! That was a few weeks ago now, so they have been in 'Russia' for a while...

See if anyone can guess which one he is!

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abby:
My brother plays a Russian soldier at the training camp! That was a few weeks ago now, so they have been in 'Russia' for a while...

See if anyone can guess which one he is!

-

[Frown]

Doctor Agamemnon When

- posted      Profile for Doctor Agamemnon When           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Five
21:30 - Captive

Lol, rofl, etc. Whatever happened to TV Go Home?

--------------------
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
The Wonderful World of Dr. When

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
I watched, what a bunch of mouth breathing fucktards they've got there..

--------------------

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A guy on the radio this morning was postulating that it's all a con, that they're all actors and that the people that they're trying to hoax are in fact the viewing audience. Didn't see it myself but it sounded plausible from the sound clips "My name is Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah the Seventh, and I'm a Lord".

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

Dr. Benway

That would make sense. That's probably how I'd play it.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
 - posted      Profile for Roy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...the premise is that we are expected to watch people training for something that they will never do and....what?

This sounds like the most fucking stupid idea from the channel that invented the phrase 'fucking stupid idea'

They shove the Sopranos to three o'clock in the morning, they have adverts after the opening credits of Lost and now this. Silly *****. (cnuts)

[ 08.12.2005, 07:20: Message edited by: Roy ]

Darryn.R
TMO Admin
I'd rather watch Jamies School Dinners.

--------------------

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a few adverts and genuinely thought it was a cheesy drama, like a Police Academy style spoof or something. I had no idea until this thread yesterday that it was this cock-brained shambles of a reality TV show.

I watched the first 5 minutes whilst writing Christmas cards, but had to turn it off when Jonny Vaughan smirked through his parka, "tricky. Or as the Russians say, tricksi!" I mewled in pain and turned over to David Attenborough talking about insecks.

For the amount of money they spent pointlessly converting some sheds into a faux-Soviet military base, couldn't they have actually sent someone into space? That would have been watchable.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poetess:
For the amount of money they spent pointlessly converting some sheds into a faux-Soviet military base, couldn't they have actually sent someone into space? That would have been watchable.

I reckon it's bluff upon double-bluff, in the spirit of the old Cold War, and they are actually going to send them into space at the end. Or perhaps they could send all the fake Russian soldier actors and Johnny Vaughan into space so we could watch them all crap themselves.

"Yes, the after show party's this way. Yeah, it's a bit cramped, but we've gone for a Russian space capsule theme. Cool, eh? Heh heh. Yeah, just put this hat on, it's just for a laugh like. Breathing OK? Great. Er, the drinks'll be along in a minute. I'll just shut this door to, you know, keep the draught out." *CLANG!* *silence* *rumbling noise*

MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
I'll just shut this door to, you know, keep the draught out." *CLANG!* *silence* *rumbling noise*

Hope they wheel out a good old fashioned Russian rocket design:
 -

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I have just watched 10 minutes of this, and the first question they should all be asking is, why on earth (no pun intended) would a Squadron Leader from the RAF be involved in a Space Touring and profiteering adventure?

Also I am pretty bloody sure that anybody going to space has a strict diet regieme which would certainly not involve alcohol.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
Waynester, you must have watched the same 10 minutes as I did, and I too have a question: How FAKE did that 'tache look? I think there would be more of a challenge to this 'hoax' if they hadn't chosen such complete fuckwits to play the 'joke' upon.
Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Best rocket, ever.

--------------------
sweet

Pink
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pink           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to watch this crap as a matter of principle but are they being told that they are in space? If so how do they explain the sensation of gravity?

kisses

--------------------
...and so say we all.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not in 'deep space'.

--------------------
supa scrub

Pink
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for Pink           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Righto, so are they supposed to be in orbit then?

kisses

--------------------
...and so say we all.

squeegy
'small african childe'
 - posted      Profile for squeegy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno. If you don't even get to zero gravity its more like a high altitude plane ride. This sounds like the worst show ever.

--------------------
supa scrub

herbs

- posted      Profile for herbs           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd heard that they're going to be told, when they ask why they aren't weightless 'oh that's the old spaceships. the new ones have gravity-simulators'.
Roy
Mohammed the Gay Ninja
They should put them in a room and tell them that they are standing in a 'Gravity Simulation Chamber'. Then a voice comes through a loud speaker and counts down. The prats just stand there, waiting to float.

The voice will then announce that the simulation is complete and the door opens and they are herded to a briefing room where they are told that they are too fat for space and told to fuck off.

Waynster

- posted      Profile for Waynster           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by herbs:
I'd heard that they're going to be told, when they ask why they aren't weightless 'oh that's the old spaceships. the new ones have gravity-simulators'.

The actual excuse given would be that it would take 12 months to train them for Anti-Gravity scenarios, so they are just going to have a low altitide (200KM) journey into Low Space. Their training is 4 weeks for their flight where they will be able to experience the curvature of the earth - well kiddies you can get that at 60,000 Feet for $5000 in an ex-soviet fighter anyway.

--------------------
Noli nothis permittere te terere

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else do that thing at school where you stand between two lockers and push your arms out really hard? and then when you step out into the corridor your arms kind of lift of their own accord. That was kind of good. We did it to this one kid, but as a joke we all suddenly slammed the lockers together. He's in a wheelchair now, lol.
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roy:

The voice will then announce that the simulation is complete and the door opens and they are herded to a briefing room where they are told that they are too fat for space and told to fuck off.

lol, literally five seconds before i switched this programme off last night (which was, in turn, literally 180 seconds after i turned it on) i found myself thinking 'surely that girl in the parka is too fat to go into space, and surely she must know that'. as if i have some idea of what 'too fat to go into space' would be, and as if a size 14 heat- reading 19- year old with a muffin top would know either.

space cadets is idiots treating idiots like idiots and then expecting us to be idiot enough to watch it. i abhor it and all involved in its misconception.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

Doctor Agamemnon When

- posted      Profile for Doctor Agamemnon When           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't watched broadcast TV for about 9 weeks. Given the above, I don't think I'll be rushing out to get it repaired anytime soon. I hate to sound like someone's dad, but quite a lot of modern TV does seem to be fucking rubbish.

--------------------
Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
The Wonderful World of Dr. When

ralph

- posted      Profile for ralph           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Agamemnon When:
I haven't watched broadcast TV for about 9 weeks. Given the above, I don't think I'll be rushing out to get it repaired anytime soon. I hate to sound like someone's dad, but quite a lot of modern TV does seem to be fucking rubbish.

I haven't witnessed a TV broadcast for almost 4 years now. Based on this thread, I feel I've made the right decision. Thanks, TMO!
Dr. Benway

I watched Will and Grace this morning, and found it amusing.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

omikin
Jo det ska jag tala om för dig
 - posted      Profile for omikin           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh benway. [Frown]

--------------------
i shot a man in reno
just to watch him die

Dr. Benway

sometimes the jokes are alright in Will and Grace. The interplay between the Karen and Jack characters is usually the best. Any of these sitcoms can have good moments/episodes though. Just look at Everybody Loves Raymond. Solid gold.

--------------------
I have shit on you, son

This topic is comprised of pages: 4 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+