Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 48)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the world is going to end in 2012. [Frown]
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh misc [Roll Eyes]

it's okay - it's only the end of this stage of humanity and life as we know it - after December 12th 2012, the human race will evolve into a wonderful new era of love and understanding...

or everything goes to shit. it's fifty fifty really.

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh at least it's not until December, so London will get to do the Olympics.
MiscellaneousFiles

Top ten books that best define the 20th century (in order of publication) according to a *poll.

quote:
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Put them in rank order, suggest your own top ten or just have a bit of a rant. Bring cakes.

Hang on...
Bridget Jones's Diary

[Confused] zeitgeisty [Confused]

[ 05.06.2007, 06:04: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read two of those, and I'd be much happier if modern life was "Hellerian" than "Orwellian". In Catch-22, life is completely ridiculous and frustrating, but there's plenty of characters ready and willing to stand up to it and rip it all to bits anyway. Nineteen Eighty-Four is just pure, hopeless bleakness and it's incredible that it's actually been taken as almost an inevitable prophesy of the real future. It's like, "Ah, yes, that was in 1984... I've been expecting that to happen. *sigh* Never mind, eh."

"GIMME EAT" should be the response on everyone's lips the minute some twat starts laying down new rules and regulations, not "Oh, it's Big Brother look. Awright Big Brother?"

I don't want to read any of the others because they're probably even more depressing.

(I think I read The Grapes Of Wrath once, but it doesn't fit in with my comments, so fuck it.)

MiscellaneousFiles

Brave New World is definitely worth a read, Dang.

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
(I think I read The Grapes Of Wrath once, but it doesn't fit in with my comments, so fuck it.)

Time for a haemmorrhoid gag?

[ 05.06.2007, 06:37: Message edited by: MiscellaneousFiles ]

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles:
Time for a haemmorrhoid gag?

It's always time for a haemmorrhoid gag, especially as everyone else seems to have gone out somewhere for the day.

Is Brave New World good for a laugh then? We've got a copy at home but it has this kind of depressing aura about it similar to Marvin the Paranoid Android so I've never picked it up.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Very boring

Whatever

It's alright

S'okay

Prefer East of Eden

I like this one

Oh boo hoo - it's rubbish.

Fuck off you stupid disaffected yoof, he isn't you.

Yeah, this one's good

Fuck right off

--------------------

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you go, ladies. In order to cut it as a twentieth-century great you have to either, a. get murdered by the Nazis or b. be a caricature of shallow materialist ditz.
Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Diary of Anne Frank isn't a "real" book, if you know what I mean, so it doesn't count to my mind.

If the list is specifically "define the 20th Century", then there should be at least one movie tie-in novel, plus a Jeffery Archer, as a reminder that most people in the last century either couldn't read or didn't deserve to be able to.

P.S. Only a godless savage would find Heart of Darkness boring. It's only about 90 pages long ffs.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
God is dead, Veep. Don't you know anything...

--------------------

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heart of Darkness is great but I'd go for The Secret Agent, a novel that casts a gimlet eye over the potential political upheavals of a scary century pregnant with change.

All Quiet On The Western Front, anyone?

Bulldog Drummond by Sapper is an interesting thumbnail of the bullet-headed spawn of a brutal and ignorant Empire sniffing its imminent demise.

The Bond novels, of course, should be in there somewhere.

Um, Burroughs' Junky or Algren's Man With the Golden Arm, Puzo's The Godfather or Schulberg's What Makes Sammy Run, or towards the end, you should have Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail as a diagnosis of a very sick superpower.

Um...

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luigi Barzini's The Europeans.

Alan Moore's From Hell entertainingly describes the traumatic birth of the Twentieth Century.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
our man in havana
Black Mask

I suppose Marx's Capital should be in there, if anyone could be fucked to read it.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The list of defining books of the 20th century is probably very, very large. We could go on all day, tossing names into the hat like grains of sand into the gritty cauldron of "20th century literature soup", or somesuch other ludicrous analogy.

To get a top ten out of it is ridiculous. Although you could do that google wars thing maybe to get an idea of perceived importance, which although differs from actual legacy, is probably more valid. If. Or. Maybe actually perceived importance is the most useful thing though. It's not like anybody actually reads books.

[ 05.06.2007, 08:55: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
All Quiet On The Western Front, anyone?

Not a very witty remark.
Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Big Nuts:

To get a top ten out of it is ridiculous.

You're right.

Top thousand?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Not a very witty remark.

Remarque, shurely?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

*Punches self in pipe

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
*punches Zygote in the testicles
Black Mask

*punches Primo Levi in the pyjamas

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
*punches Nelson Mandela in the freedom

[ 05.06.2007, 09:06: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

Black Mask

*Punches Hemingway in the corrida

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
Black Mask

[ 05.06.2007, 09:12: Message edited by: Black Mask ]

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
good lad.
MiscellaneousFiles

*punches Jimmy in the Big Nuts
Louche
Carved TMO on her clit just to make you feel bad
 - posted      Profile for Louche           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only got round to reading Heart of Darkness a couple of years ago. Suddenly, the point of Apocalypse Now became much more clear.

I didn't even make it past the first twenty pages of Catcher in the Rye, I have an inbuilt Wiganners loathing of Orwell, the rest of 'em are alright, apart from Catch 22, what rocked.

I also second Benny's Steinbeck preference. And why no American Psycho?

ben

- posted      Profile for ben           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine is the only book you need to grasp that bullshit century.
doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked it. i did the right on thing by reading things fall apart after.

not read it.

is ok.

loved it. when i was 18ish. haven't read it in a while. liked bumblepuppy.

its not of mice and men.

oh no. rats.
really liked this. especially the ever shifting alliances of the countries at war.

where's the sex gone?

crumby.

how much do these eggs cost?
loved it. so much i bought closing time.

v v poor.

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by ben:
Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine is the only book you need to grasp that bullshit century.

Hmmm...

Just the one book?

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Spider-Man 3...coherent

Man, I totally should have added this to yesterday's lol-list.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Bleak:
quote:
Spider-Man 3...coherent

Man, I totally should have added this to yesterday's lol-list.
What, did you have trouble understanding Spider-Man 3?

--------------------
sweet

H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the StevieX of it...:

co·her·ent (k-hîrnt, -hr-)
adj.
1. Sticking together; cohering.
2. Marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts: a coherent essay.
3. Physics Of, relating to, or having waves with similar direction, amplitude, and phase that are capable of exhibiting interference.
4. Of or relating to a system of units of measurement in which a small number of basic units are defined from which all others in the system are derived by multiplication or division only.
5. Botany Sticking to but not fused with a part or an organ of the same kind.

com·pre·hen·si·ble (kmpr-hns-bl)
adj.
Readily comprehended or understood; intelligible.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  ...  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+